J T

Default Hollow Drill Question

I like pallet wood. Free wood is always popular. Been thinking on
getting nais out of pallet wood. Problem is, considtency in getting the
nails out. I hate wating wood, cutting pieces short, just to get rid of
the nails that broke off. So, figured on using a hollow drill bit, then
plugging the hole with a piece of dowel.

I checked a few sites for prices on hollow drill bits. they're going
for around $20+ for one. Too rich for me. OK, no biggie, steel tubing,
file teeth on one end, have at it.

But, then another think. The nail, and a bit of the surrounding
wood, is gonna stick in the bit, and probably won't come out by shaking.
Which means, drill the nail out, take the bit out of the drill, push the
debris out, put the bit back in the drill, repeat. Reliable, but slow,
and a PITA.

Offhand, about the only thing I've come up with is, make the bit
over long, with a slit in one side so I can insert something, and slide
the debris out. No tubing yet, so not tried any of it, but I'm thinking
this might weaken the tube too much to use - we're talking around 1/8"
ID here, with a nail 2-3" long. So, maybe the slit not completely to
the end.

So, the questions is:
Does anyone have any realistic ideas on making a hollow drill bit that
will allow getting the debris out, without removing the bit from the
drill?

JOAT
Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.
- David Fasold

Unquestionably Confused

J T wrote:

Offhand, about the only thing I've come up with is, make the bit
over long, with a slit in one side so I can insert something, and slide
the debris out. No tubing yet, so not tried any of it, but I'm thinking
this might weaken the tube too much to use - we're talking around 1/8"
ID here, with a nail 2-3" long. So, maybe the slit not completely to
the end.

So, the questions is:
Does anyone have any realistic ideas on making a hollow drill bit that
will allow getting the debris out, without removing the bit from the
drill?

Probably not. When you think about it your description, sans diameter,
is a description of a Milwaukee, or just about any other, hole saw.
They have slots and holes in the top of the bit (in Milwaukee's case, at
least), the el cheapos have a spring steel saw affair with the slot in
the side. In either case it's a PITA to get the wood plug out of the
damn bit. It will only get harder with the smaller diameter of your
hollow drill bit.

Bottom line: after all this time I suspect if there was a better
mousetrap to be had, Milwaukee or some other tool maker would have come
up with it.

Nail broken off? Why not just take a stout nail set and drive it on
through? Would certainly work with the 1 by stuff on the pallet. The
rails might be a different story.
Lawrence L'Hote

"J T" wrote in message
I like pallet wood. Free wood is always popular. Been thinking on
getting nais out of pallet wood. Problem is, considtency in getting the
nails out. So, the questions is:
Does anyone have any realistic ideas on making a hollow drill bit that
will allow getting the debris out, without removing the bit from the
drill?

I went through the remove-the-nail-with-the-hollow-drill proceedure several
years ago. I couldn't get the thing to work as advertized. I only managed
to burn a hole and smoke up the room. What I now do, if my metal detector
says there is metal down there, is chop it out with one of my discount
chisels. I then square off the hole, squirt in the glue, insert the
plug/insert and finally smooth it off. Sometimes I just leave the hole.
IMHO all those hollow drills do remove is the green stuff from your wallet.
Larry

--
Lawrence L'Hote
Columbia, MO

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:50:41 -0500, (J T)
wrote:

[...]

if you're planning on drilling from the head end of the nail, you'll
need something more like 3/8" inside diameter, probably a bit more to
allow for slightly bent or crooked nails. your outside diameter is
gonna be something like 1/2"- which is a standard plug diameter.

high speed stees tubing can be had, but I don't think it's gonna be
particularly cheap.

dzine

Seems a lot of bother, there is no lack of pallets so why be so picky
about a few splits. What i do is use a crowbar and bits of wood to
stop bruising. Works most times. The nails from guns mostly go all the
way through anyway. Then place rails in vice and use claw hammer.

mac davis

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:50:41 -0500, (J T) wrote:

Being lazy, I always go for the easiest way..
I think I'd try using a conduit hole cutter to cut a 1/2" circle around the
head, maybe 1/4" deep.. break off the inside of the circle with an old
screwdriver or chisel and pull the nail with a "wonder bar"..

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

J T wrote:

Have you no sense of adventure? Besides being free, that's part

of
the fun.

JOAT
Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.
- David Fasold

Ain't it the truth? I've been holding on to half a poker table for
about 6 months now because the guy I'm building it for (and myself)
refuse to spend a few bux on tubatens or whatever to finish the damn
thing. Some more scrap will come along soon enough.

That's the good thing about a hobby. You can afford to wait for the
good things that inevitably come to those who wait.

-Phil Crow

Prometheus

wrote:

[...]

We've got some hollow carbide bits at work (for drilling metal) that
have a spring-loaded pin that pushes the waste out. The bits are
mounted in a morse taper, so you'd likely have to set up the spring a
little differently (maybe a pop-rivet would work?), but if a spring
can push out a 2" x 5/8" dia. steel plug, it's likely to work with
wood.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
TrailRat

A technique I've found handy with wide head pallet nail is to drill out
the head and then pull apart. A friend of mine use a soldering iron
which in my opinion seems a stupid idea but he claims the soldering
iron expands the metal, which, when it cools makes it shrink and making
it looser in the pallet. Personally I think he's burning timber.

I too like working with pallet wood. I've used it on a lot of outdoor
projects and currently saving enough to build a shed.

TR

Oil Feed Drill Question ATP* Metalworking 5 February 10th 05 03:27 AM
OT - hammer drill newbie question John Manders Woodworking 9 January 27th 05 05:19 PM
QUESTION - Drill loudness J T Woodworking 17 August 28th 04 07:38 PM
Buying a new drill Bruce UK diy 21 June 8th 04 12:41 AM
Another toolkit question Andrew McKay UK diy 32 July 15th 03 12:15 AM