ATP*

Default Oil Feed Drill Question

For the drills with the oil feed holes parallel to the shank, which run from
one end of the drill to the other, is a different bushing made for every
diameter of drill? Also, is the oil fed under pressure? I was contemplating
settting up something to use oil-fed drills in the tailstock of my lathe.
I'm finding a lot of stuff about the drill bits themselves, but not much on
the equipment needed to run them. TIA.

HaroldA102

We use a machine with tru the spindle coolant m27 collets are sealed with
silycone you can do that yourself!!!
Joe

For the drills with the oil feed holes parallel to the shank, which run
from one end of the drill to the other, is a different bushing made for
every diameter of drill? Also, is the oil fed under pressure? I was
contemplating settting up something to use oil-fed drills in the tailstock
of my lathe. I'm finding a lot of stuff about the drill bits themselves,
but not much on the equipment needed to run them. TIA.

Many people use special collets for this. They seal with rubber around the
drill.

There is, however, a company that makes a collet chuck that sprays coolant
out from the partially open collet "slits" downeard without usign special
tooling other than the chuck. I'd go that way unless you need the coolant
right at the tip of teh drill for some close-to-the-limit machining and/or
drilling.

Do you need to run at optimum speed or can you slow it down by 25% and
simply use a less elaborate method of cooling the tip and lubricating teh
cut?
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

My eBay: http://tinyurl.com/3n8gj

Jim Sehr

I used to make a blind bushing for each drill and most of the time I would
leave the bushing sticking out of the turret and drill a cross hole thru the
side of the bushing to the center,then I would press a piece of copper tube
into hole leaving about an inch sticking out, then slip a rubber
tube feeding the coolent to drill. Most of the time coolent
would flush out the chips so no need to peck drill.
Jim

"ATP*" wrote in message
For the drills with the oil feed holes parallel to the shank, which run
from one end of the drill to the other, is a different bushing made for
every diameter of drill? Also, is the oil fed under pressure? I was
contemplating settting up something to use oil-fed drills in the tailstock
of my lathe. I'm finding a lot of stuff about the drill bits themselves,
but not much on the equipment needed to run them. TIA.

Eric R Snow

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 18:03:14 -0500, "ATP*" wrote:

For the drills with the oil feed holes parallel to the shank, which run from
one end of the drill to the other, is a different bushing made for every
diameter of drill? Also, is the oil fed under pressure? I was contemplating
settting up something to use oil-fed drills in the tailstock of my lathe.
I'm finding a lot of stuff about the drill bits themselves, but not much on
the equipment needed to run them. TIA.

It appears that you are describing a gundrill. If this the case the
yes, a bushing is used for every drill size. This bushing guides the
drill point as it enters the work and must touch (usually) the surface
of the work. The shanks for different groups of sizes of drill are all
the same size where the drill is mounted in the spindle. The oil
pressure can be up to 3000 psi. The oil forces the chips out of the
hole and actually supports the drill when the drill is a small
diameter. If you are seeking information about a different kind of
drill please post a link.
ERS

ATP*

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
news
[...]

I'm not looking at anything as long as a gundrill, just at practical ways of
feeding coolant through 9 or 10 inch long 1/2 inch drill bits, for example.
After doing some searches on coolant collets, I think I'm beginning to
understand the setup- I have seen endmill feeds with oil rings, dedicated to
one size, this would obviously be rather expensive for the many drill bit
diameters one might want to use. I'll keep an eye on ebay, it seems the
complete chuck/collet setup is not a real common, inexpensive item.

Thanks to all who replied.

Building a Mag Drill Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 5 January 6th 05 04:10 AM
Question regarding Grizzly Drill Cubby Woodworking 10 January 1st 05 01:12 AM
Buying a new drill Bruce UK diy 21 June 8th 04 12:41 AM
Is Drill Doctor worth the price???? Harry Conover Metalworking 33 April 6th 04 02:41 PM
Another toolkit question Andrew McKay UK diy 32 July 15th 03 12:15 AM