Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Checking on post problem, Help

I have posted 3 times to the Default on the Debt thread
and have not seen any of my posts. I looked at 5 or 6 of the
other groups it is crossposted to and it doesn't show in
those either.
Is anyone else seeing my posts to that thread?
Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Maybe you should, or need to try posting Metalworking related comments to a
metalworking newsgroup, and not crossposted, off-topic useless bull****

Or, if you can't do that, just go away.. that's the best help you'll get
anywhere

--
WB

"amdx" wrote in message
I have posted 3 times to the Default on the Debt thread
and have not seen any of my posts. I looked at 5 or 6 of the
other groups it is crossposted to and it doesn't show in
those either.
Is anyone else seeing my posts to that thread?
Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
Maybe you should, or need to try posting Metalworking related comments to
a metalworking newsgroup, and not crossposted, off-topic useless bull****

Or, if you can't do that, just go away.. that's the best help you'll get
anywhere

--
WB

Ya, but did my posts show on your server?
Mike

"amdx" wrote in message
I have posted 3 times to the Default on the Debt thread
and have not seen any of my posts. I looked at 5 or 6 of the
other groups it is crossposted to and it doesn't show in
those either.
Is anyone else seeing my posts to that thread?
Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm not sure, maybe I should look

I delete the vast majority of senseless drivel wrt off topic,
non-metalworking-related posts concerning bull**** topics.

If I wanted to see that sort of useless crap, I'd watch TV or look for an
appropriately-titled newsgroup or forum or blog, not a metalworking
newsgroup.

--
WB

Ya, but did my posts show on your server?
Mike

Is anyone else seeing my posts to that thread?
Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Ackman wrote:

A significant number of servers allows a maximum of 5
groups total. A smaller number allows 4 groups total.

That is a step in the right direction. Disallowing alt groups except for alt.machines.cnc
for this group would be a real crowd pleaser.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Steve Ackman wrote:

A significant number of servers allows a maximum of 5
groups total. A smaller number allows 4 groups total.

That is a step in the right direction. Disallowing alt groups except for
alt.machines.cnc
for this group would be a real crowd pleaser.

Wes

That's why I snip off most other NGs from those threads that Cliff starts. I
can't even DL or read most of them. Others take so long to open that I
stopped bothering with them over a year ago.

And who cares if some k00ks from those NGs read them? Talking to them is
like holding a conversation with the inmates in the back ward of a mental
asylum, anyway.

I'm all for snipping off all other NGs, except for technical things for
which others may be helpful, as with AMC or the electronics NGs. If Cliff
would stop that cross-posting crap, it would save a lot of unpleasantness.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

That's why I snip off most other NGs from those threads that Cliff starts. I
can't even DL or read most of them. Others take so long to open that I
stopped bothering with them over a year ago.

I only post in this newsgroup unless I manually check the headers and add the appropriate
cross posts. Call it a circuit breaker on my political leanings. It keeps it in the
group and I don't add to troll bait or politifcal chum.

And who cares if some k00ks from those NGs read them? Talking to them is
like holding a conversation with the inmates in the back ward of a mental
asylum, anyway.

I'd just as soon not.

I'm all for snipping off all other NGs, except for technical things for
which others may be helpful, as with AMC or the electronics NGs. If Cliff
would stop that cross-posting crap, it would save a lot of unpleasantness.

Cliff is a vandal. He is the equivalent of some punk spray painting your siding with his
gang colors. Same for TMT. TMT seems to be trying to get in position for Cliff's spot
when Cliff goes room temperature. The sad thing is there is someone that I think is TMT
on moderated boards that can actually ask provocative questions inside the goal lines but
will not give us the same courtesy.

Needless to say, both are filtered at the hard kill level.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Ackman wrote:

Oh, come on... alt.coffee is a valid crosspost at
least once or twice a year! ;-)

Okay, those two loons are okay fine. There is always a few exceptions to a rule.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 23:54:41 -0700, the infamous Steve Ackman
scrawled the following:

Once found, all he has to do is add these lines to it:

Voila. No more Cliff or TMT in the stats.

I wish I could figure out how to do that in Agent. I purely hate
seeing all these guys (whom I like) replying to the trolls day after
day. I'd rather filter their replies than the people themselves, but
Agent doesn't apply filtering to anything but author and subject, no
references and no text filtering, despite my whining about it to Forte
continually for a decade. deep sigh #42,385 on this subject

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it
exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The Delete key works fine for me, with hack/spit MS Mail/Vistablows.
I only need a quick glance at the subject or the sender to know the post
isn't worth my time.

I don't understand the wasted manhours from the more intelligent
participants of RCM, replying to off-topic posts and news-story subjects
from antagonists.

I won't wade through all of the crap to find a humorous remark, deleting
them all is just easier.

Writing insulting remarks doesn't seem like much of a sport to me, or a
worthwhile use of my time.

--
WB

^From:.*Clhuprichguesswhat@aoltmovetheperiodc. om

Voila. No more Cliff or TMT in the stats.

I wish I could figure out how to do that in Agent. I purely hate
seeing all these guys (whom I like) replying to the trolls day after
day. I'd rather filter their replies than the people themselves, but
Agent doesn't apply filtering to anything but author and subject, no
references and no text filtering, despite my whining about it to Forte
continually for a decade. deep sigh #42,385 on this subject

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it
exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong
remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Oh, come on... alt.coffee is a valid crosspost at
least once or twice a year! ;-)

Start a new one without the "alt", Steve. rec.DECENT.coffee works for
me.

IIRC, to start a usenet group outside the alt heirarchy, you have to go for a formal
process to get it added including voting unless something changed.

For example, we would have to follow the process to start rec.crafts.metalworking.politics
..

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 14:36:11 -0500, the infamous "Wild_Bill"
scrawled the following:

The Delete key works fine for me, with hack/spit MS Mail/Vistablows.
I only need a quick glance at the subject or the sender to know the post
isn't worth my time.

I don't understand the wasted manhours from the more intelligent
participants of RCM, replying to off-topic posts and news-story subjects
from antagonists.

I won't wade through all of the crap to find a humorous remark, deleting
them all is just easier.

Writing insulting remarks doesn't seem like much of a sport to me, or a
worthwhile use of my time.

Yeah, you have a point there, but what I want to do is to remove the
posts -by- people I like -to- trolls I don't, the antagonists. Sadly,
these friends are quoting the asshole trolls every day. Agent won't
let me remove those references yet and it means that I hit the Ignore
Thread button fifty times per session. A filter would be much, much
nicer. I already auto-kill over half the messages as it is, the
original antagonists' posts themselves and threads I'm not at all
interested in.

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it
exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong
remedy." -- Ernest Benn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 18:40:01 -0500, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Oh, come on... alt.coffee is a valid crosspost at
least once or twice a year! ;-)

Start a new one without the "alt", Steve. rec.DECENT.coffee works for
me.

IIRC, to start a usenet group outside the alt heirarchy, you have to go for a formal
process to get it added including voting unless something changed.

That's often not much of a problem. Given our large trollset, who
would surely stomp it, it might be for us.

For example, we would have to follow the process to start rec.crafts.metalworking.politics
.

As if. bseg

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it
exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong
remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Ackman wrote:

In , on Fri, 26 Feb 2010 00:29:19 -0500,
Michael A. Terrell, wrote:

Steve Ackman wrote:

In , on Thu, 25 Feb
2010 18:12:06 -0500, Wes,
wrote:

Needless to say, both are filtered at the hard kill level.

If that were really the case, they wouldn't show up
in the stats.

So, you have no clue how that program works.

LOL! or Gunner style, laugh, laugh, laugh

He doesn't compile the
stats by hand, so his kill filters have nothing to do with the
statistics software.

If YOU knew how it works, you'd know leafnode's
filters are at /usr/local/etc/leafnode/filters
(in FreeBSD), or at /etc/news/leafnode/filters in
Debian.

I'd hope Cygwin has locate, so if he doesn't want
to wade through the man pages looking for the location
of the filter file on his system, he could more easily
do,

$ locate filters | grep leafnode

Once found, all he has to do is add these lines to it:

Voila. No more Cliff or TMT in the stats. If he
then ran 'applyfilter' they wouldn't even show up in
this week's stats.
(Without running 'applyfilter', they'd still show up
at some reduced volume this week, and then disappear
completely in subsequent weeks.)

If by some chance, he's running leafnode 2 instead
of leafnode 1, he's got even more powerful filtering
capabilities.

... anyway, that's what I imagine someone with a clue
might write.

Someone with a clue wouldn't want to skew the results, good or bad.

Personally, I use NFilter instead of Leafnode to dump most of the
trash.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Ackman wrote:

None of that is really news to me. :-)

I guess you have a different definition of "hard kill"
than I do. To me, it means, "These guys' posts are not
on my machine. Period."
"I download all their posts, but I choose not to view
them in my newsreader" is a soft kill to me.

My real idea of a hard kill for the trolls would get me imprisoned if executed. A 'soft
kill' for me is to mark the poster read.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 01:59:40 -0700, the infamous Steve Ackman
scrawled the following:

In , on Fri, 26 Feb 2010
07:24:46 -0800, Larry Jaques, lid wrote:

I wish I could figure out how to do that in Agent. I purely hate
seeing all these guys (whom I like) replying to the trolls day after
day. I'd rather filter their replies than the people themselves, but
Agent doesn't apply filtering to anything but author and subject, no
references and no text filtering, despite my whining about it to Forte
continually for a decade. deep sigh #42,385 on this subject

But... you *can* filter on more than just From and
Subject... It's in the FAQ at
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php

----------
Can I kill-filter messages posted to a specific newsgroup?

Yes. As of Agent 4, you can now create a usenet filter based on the
Newsgroups header. To filter on this, simply enter "Newsgroups: " in the
expression editor like you would "Author: " or "Subject: ", and the name
of the newsgroup. You can also use a usenet filter to control crossposts.
Here is an example:

newsgroups: ({\,.+\,.+\,.+\,} and warez)

That will filter based on a message being crossposted to four or more
newsgroups where at least one of which has the word 'warez' in the name.

NOTES: A new filter based on the Newsgroups will not be applied
immediately when created, these expressions only work on message headers
as they are being downloaded. This is because the Newsgroups header does
not actaully exist in the overview data, so Agent simulates it based on
other overview data. This other overview data does not exist either if you
have set Agent to use the XHDR command instead. By default, Agent does not
use the XHDR command.

For more on how Agent 4 can manage crossposts, see the FAQ entry "How does
the new crosspost detection in Agent 4 work?".
----------

I would think the filter above (but change warez to
say, survivalism, limbaugh, or politics) would
eliminate 95% of what you object to.

Thanks, Steve. I'll look into it again. I already kill
multiple-crossposts and the original spammers/trolls/jerks. I'll see
about adding limbaugh and politics at minimum. The survivalists put
out too much interesting stuff to kill outright.

--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Ackman wrote:

In , on Sat, 27 Feb 2010 19:43:11 -0500,
Michael A. Terrell, wrote:

Someone with a clue wouldn't want to skew the results, good or bad.

Stawman noted.

ID10T noted.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 19:52:00 -0700, the infamous Steve Ackman
scrawled the following:

In , on Sun, 28 Feb 2010 14:15:30 -0500,
Michael A. Terrell, wrote:

Wow, in three posts you went from insult to strawman
to childish name calling. I guess that means you win.

Aren't filters easier, Steve? wink

--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell, wrote:

Wow, in three posts you went from insult to strawman
to childish name calling. I guess that means you win.

Not at all. You won, because I had to stoop to your level.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Wow, in three posts you went from insult to strawman
to childish name calling. I guess that means you win.

Not at all. You won, because I had to stoop to your level.

Mike, I think you need to lighten up a bit.

Wes

Re-post of Old Paper--The Stability Problem - The Stability Problem in Feedback Amplifiers.pdf (1/5) qrk Electronic Schematics 1 June 14th 08 09:59 PM
Re-post of Old Paper--The Stability Problem - The Stability Problem in Feedback Amplifiers.pdf (1/5) John Byrns Electronic Schematics 2 June 14th 08 02:23 AM
Bother checking whether got response of your post? netlady Home Repair 2 June 14th 07 05:41 PM
3 Post Valve Problem Geoff Lane UK diy 5 November 26th 06 03:59 PM
Re-post Toshiba problem anyone? Golf Electronics Repair 1 December 3rd 05 12:28 PM