Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Threading on Hardinge DV59?

I know this is an oddball thing to ask but...
Has anyone heard of someone making mods to a DV59 so they can turn an
occasional unusual thread?
I'm pondering designing an easily attachable/removable add-on so I can
do it. I know that for doing lots of threading it would make more
sense to get a different lathe, but I might do this anyway just to
have a bizarre project.

Anyone care to dissuade me or point to an existing solution?

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 08:42:01 -0800 (PST), Jamie
wrote:

I know this is an oddball thing to ask but...
Has anyone heard of someone making mods to a DV59 so they can turn an
occasional unusual thread?
I'm pondering designing an easily attachable/removable add-on so I can
do it. I know that for doing lots of threading it would make more
sense to get a different lathe, but I might do this anyway just to
have a bizarre project.

Anyone care to dissuade me or point to an existing solution?

The most obvious is a Geometric die head and chasers.

Does your lathe have a tailstock or a turret?

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I know this is an oddball thing to ask but...
Has anyone heard of someone making mods to a DV59 so they can turn an
occasional unusual thread?
I'm pondering designing an easily attachable/removable add-on so I can
do it. I know that for doing lots of threading it would make more
sense to get a different lathe, but I might do this anyway just to
have a bizarre project.

Anyone care to dissuade me or point to an existing solution?

The most obvious is a Geometric die head and chasers.

Does your lathe have a tailstock or a turret?

I missed the "bizarre project" first time thru. How about adapting a
threading attachment for a Hardinge chucker to your lathe?

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jamie wrote:
I know this is an oddball thing to ask but...
Has anyone heard of someone making mods to a DV59 so they can turn an
occasional unusual thread?
I'm pondering designing an easily attachable/removable add-on so I can
do it. I know that for doing lots of threading it would make more
sense to get a different lathe, but I might do this anyway just to
have a bizarre project.

Anyone care to dissuade me or point to an existing solution?

Thanks

Sounds like this may be an item to investigate.
http://www.medw.co.uk/wiki/index.php...ELS+Price+List
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Ned -
The lathe has a turret, but I just bought a tailstock for it also.
I will definitely follow your advice and get a die holder - I think
Hardinge made one for the turret that has some sort of quick release/
retract gizmo - need to look into it further.

The limiting factor on designing a system to make custom / unusual
threads is that the lathe only goes down to 200 rpm. I might have to
make some auxillary drive system that you can engage with the regular
transmission in neutral. Probably a fools errand, but it might be
funto try anyway.

wrote:
I know this is an oddball thing to ask but...
Has anyone heard of someone making mods to a DV59 so they can turn an
occasional unusual thread?
I'm pondering designing an easily attachable/removable add-on so I can
do it. *I know that for doing lots of threading it would make more
sense to get a different lathe, but I might do this anyway just to
have a bizarre project.

Anyone care to dissuade me or point to an existing solution?

The most obvious is a Geometric die head and chasers.

Does your lathe have a tailstock or a turret?

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 08:10:36 -0800 (PST), Jamie
wrote:

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Ned -
The lathe has a turret, but I just bought a tailstock for it also.
I will definitely follow your advice and get a die holder - I think
Hardinge made one for the turret that has some sort of quick release/
retract gizmo - need to look into it further.

That sounds like a Geometric head.
http://rhmorris.com/dynamicdata/serv...s/P1010106.JPG

pdf manual:
http://toprake.com/index.php?module=...JAS_File_id=14

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 16, 4:10*pm, Jamie wrote:

The limiting factor on designing a system to make custom / unusual
threads is that the lathe only goes down to 200 rpm. *I might have to
make some auxillary drive system that you can engage with the regular
transmission in neutral. *Probably a fools errand, but it might be
funto try anyway.

One thing you could do is to use a VFD. If the motor is a 3 phase
motor, then you just have to add the variable frequency drive. If the
motor is a single phase motor, then you have to change the motor as
well.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-16, Jamie wrote:
Thanks for the comments everyone.
Ned -
The lathe has a turret, but I just bought a tailstock for it also.
I will definitely follow your advice and get a die holder - I think
Hardinge made one for the turret that has some sort of quick release/
retract gizmo - need to look into it further.

The limiting factor on designing a system to make custom / unusual
threads is that the lathe only goes down to 200 rpm. I might have to
make some auxillary drive system that you can engage with the regular
transmission in neutral. Probably a fools errand, but it might be
funto try anyway.

Well ... I do 5.8-27 threads in brass at 850 RPM with no
problems with my Clausing 12x24" and a bed turret with a 1" Geometric
die head and the proper chasers.

The real problem is that for *unusual* threads, you first have
to find the chasers for that thread. You can custom order them but
after a few different unusual threads it might be cheaper to get another
lathe with a leadscrew and quick-change gearbox. :-) Figure perhaps
$150.00 or so for a custom set of chasers -- and they'll ask you want
material you want to thread so they can make the chasers with the right
rake in addition to everything else.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Ned -
The lathe has a turret, but I just bought a tailstock for it also.
I will definitely follow your advice and get a die holder - I think
Hardinge made one for the turret that has some sort of quick release/
retract gizmo - need to look into it further.

The limiting factor on designing a system to make custom / unusual
threads is that the lathe only goes down to 200 rpm. I might have to
make some auxillary drive system that you can engage with the regular
transmission in neutral. Probably a fools errand, but it might be
funto try anyway.

With a die head...Geometric or H&G (which are cheap)....it really doesnt
make a lot of difference what your low end is. Now if you want
slow...you can run the beasty from a VFD and drop it down to nearly
stationary.

Gunner

wrote:
I know this is an oddball thing to ask but...
Has anyone heard of someone making mods to a DV59 so they can turn an
occasional unusual thread?
I'm pondering designing an easily attachable/removable add-on so I can
do it. *I know that for doing lots of threading it would make more
sense to get a different lathe, but I might do this anyway just to
have a bizarre project.

Anyone care to dissuade me or point to an existing solution?

The most obvious is a Geometric die head and chasers.

Does your lathe have a tailstock or a turret?

--
Ned Simmons

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 17 Feb 2010 02:45:13 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

On 2010-02-16, Jamie wrote:
[...]

Contact Leigh at MarMachine. He has a literal ****LOAD of H&G die
elements and a number of H&G heads

catruckman at aol.com

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 17:39:23 +0000, David Billington
wrote:

Jamie wrote:
I know this is an oddball thing to ask but...
Has anyone heard of someone making mods to a DV59 so they can turn an
occasional unusual thread?
I'm pondering designing an easily attachable/removable add-on so I can
do it. I know that for doing lots of threading it would make more
sense to get a different lathe, but I might do this anyway just to
have a bizarre project.

Anyone care to dissuade me or point to an existing solution?

Thanks

Sounds like this may be an item to investigate.
http://www.medw.co.uk/wiki/index.php...ELS+Price+List

http://www.lathes.co.uk/hardinge/page4.html

DV-59 is partway down.

I have 2 of them.

Also a TFB for sale if anyone is interested. Same page

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.

FS -- Hardinge HC lathe with threading attachment, turret and coolant Ignoramus4867 Metalworking 10 February 14th 09 06:06 AM
306 SS threading Snag Metalworking 0 April 9th 06 12:14 PM
Hardinge HLVH Metric Threading Transposing Gears for sale [email protected] Metalworking 0 August 15th 05 09:07 PM
Threading Jigs? Scott Woodturning 17 March 1st 05 06:21 AM
Threading: 29º or another way... Robin S. Metalworking 5 November 22nd 03 06:55 PM