Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Threading on Hardinge DV59?

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 08:10:36 -0800 (PST), Jamie
wrote:

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Ned -
The lathe has a turret, but I just bought a tailstock for it also.
I will definitely follow your advice and get a die holder - I think
Hardinge made one for the turret that has some sort of quick release/
retract gizmo - need to look into it further.

The limiting factor on designing a system to make custom / unusual
threads is that the lathe only goes down to 200 rpm. I might have to
make some auxillary drive system that you can engage with the regular
transmission in neutral. Probably a fools errand, but it might be
funto try anyway.

With a die head...Geometric or H&G (which are cheap)....it really doesnt
make a lot of difference what your low end is. Now if you want
slow...you can run the beasty from a VFD and drop it down to nearly
stationary.

Gunner

On Feb 15, 8:52*am, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 08:42:01 -0800 (PST), Jamie

wrote:
I know this is an oddball thing to ask but...
Has anyone heard of someone making mods to a DV59 so they can turn an
occasional unusual thread?
I'm pondering designing an easily attachable/removable add-on so I can
do it. *I know that for doing lots of threading it would make more
sense to get a different lathe, but I might do this anyway just to
have a bizarre project.

Anyone care to dissuade me or point to an existing solution?

The most obvious is a Geometric die head and chasers.

Does your lathe have a tailstock or a turret?

--
Ned Simmons

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.