Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default FS -- Hardinge HC lathe with threading attachment, turret and coolant

buyer to pick up 20 miles west of Chicago. It works, 220v three phase,
threading attachment and collet chuck is included. Includes a coolant system.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-13, Ignoramus4867 wrote:
buyer to pick up 20 miles west of Chicago. It works, 220v three phase,
threading attachment and collet chuck is included. Includes a coolant system.

and collet closer

Pictures here

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...inge-HC-Lathe/

Price $1,400 USD. cash on pickup
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 12:52:15 -0600, Ignoramus4867
wrote:

buyer to pick up 20 miles west of Chicago. It works, 220v three phase,
threading attachment and collet chuck is included. Includes a coolant system.

How much?
Threaded or camlock spindle nose?

And is it the Autothread or the manual one?

Btw guys...the Chucker (HC) is THE lathe for about 95% of all turning
chores in the shop. Most turning is less than 3" long and doesnt require
a tailstock and with some thinking...even turning longer stuff can be
done on this VERY accurate model. It does NOT have a tailstock, nor can
one be fitted, but frankly as I said...the vast majority of turning is
done without a tailstock. Its a tool makers turret lathe capable of
production. A very good lathe. 5C spindle nose and able to take a
chuck up to 8" IRRC Its nominally a 9" swing.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/hardinge/page4.html

Iggies particular individual lathe..I cannot speak for, but Id love to
have a chucker in the shop. In fact, I have had several, but with a TFB
and an HLV-H....when offered sufficient Franklins, sold them.

Ive purchased them from $500 to 2500, depending on condition, number of
collets and chasers etc etc.

Gunner

"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people,
we should look to limit those guarantees."

Bill Clinton 1993-08-12
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 12:57:11 -0600, Ignoramus4867

On 2009-02-13, Ignoramus4867 wrote:
buyer to pick up 20 miles west of Chicago. It works, 220v three phase,
threading attachment and collet chuck is included. Includes a coolant system.

and collet closer

Pictures here

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...inge-HC-Lathe/

Price $1,400 USD. cash on pickup

Is the adapter plate for the threader still on the back of the
headstock? Some required a big cast iron plate on the back that the
threader bar mounts bolted to, others simply bolted to the back of the
machine....never mind..I see it peeking out in one of the photos.

You have 2 threading heads, one from another chucker. A good thing.

Seems to be in decent enough condition with all the bits in the right
places.

A very fair price based on the pictures for most people.

Have you any chasers and followers for threading various pitches?
And the black spacer that goes on the spindle between the collet closer
and the head, that locks the chasers to the back of the spindle?

Btw guys...this is half of what you need for each thread pitch
http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=har...sers&_osacat=0
This cylindrical bit is the other half
http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=har...inge&_osacat=0

You must have the follower (star/cross shaped gizmo) and the lead
(cylinder) with matching pitch...

Tapping on the HC is simple and you can even use a tapmatic head if you
want to do it at "speed"

While not as verstile as an "engine lathe"...will still do at least 95%
of most peoples lathe work in the home shop. At least.

Gunner

"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people,
we should look to limit those guarantees."

Bill Clinton 1993-08-12
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm tempted. Gunner or Iggy, could you tell me the distance between
the top of the turret and the center line of the spindle? Or is that
the same turret plate i got for my CHNC?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 17:03:07 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I'm tempted. Gunner or Iggy, could you tell me the distance between
the top of the turret and the center line of the spindle? Or is that
the same turret plate i got for my CHNC?

Karl

I believe they both use 3/8 Center Height tooling. I know the HC does.
It is indeed 3/8 Center Height. It depends on which CHNC you have.
There were 5c and 16c versions. I think the 16C were 1/2"

Readily available all over Ebay, and I have a couple coffee cans filled
with holders to fit the HC turret.
(They also fit the OmniTurns so I keep tool holders around for my
service customers)

Gunner

"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people,
we should look to limit those guarantees."

Bill Clinton 1993-08-12
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm tempted. Gunner or Iggy, could you tell me the distance between
the top of the turret and the center line of the spindle? Or is that
the same turret plate i got for my CHNC?

Karl

I believe they both use 3/8 Center Height tooling. I know the HC does.
It is indeed 3/8 Center Height. It depends on which CHNC you have.
There were 5c and 16c versions. I think the 16C were 1/2"

Readily available all over Ebay, and I have a couple coffee cans filled
with holders to fit the HC turret.
(They also fit the OmniTurns so I keep tool holders around for my
service customers)

Gunner

Btw for you East Coasters....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hardinge-Horizontal-Milling-Machine-With-Uni-Table_W0QQitemZ290289815984QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_M ills?hash=item290289815984&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_t rkparms=72%3A570|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318| 301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

A Hardinge Horizontal mill, looks pretty decent. They are a marvelous
SMALL horizontal mill

Gunner

"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people,
we should look to limit those guarantees."

Bill Clinton 1993-08-12
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-13, Karl Townsend wrote:
I'm tempted. Gunner or Iggy, could you tell me the distance between
the top of the turret and the center line of the spindle? Or is that
the same turret plate i got for my CHNC?

Karl, I have no idea what the distance is, I am away from home.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It looks to be about the same vintage as mine. I corresponded with a
fellow years ago that worked for Hardinge in the 50's and he said best
he could recall, from the S/N, mine was made in the early to mid 50's.
Older than I am by a few. I still do a lot of work on mine. It's seen
better days but is still as accurate as any engine lathe I've used. Just
have to treat it like the veteran it is...

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4867 wrote:

Karl, I have no idea what the distance is, I am away from home.

It's 3/8.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-13, Ignoramus4867 wrote:
buyer to pick up 20 miles west of Chicago. It works, 220v three phase,
threading attachment and collet chuck is included. Includes a coolant system.

and collet closer

Pictures here

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...inge-HC-Lathe/

Price $1,400 USD. cash on pickup

Is the adapter plate for the threader still on the back of the
headstock? Some required a big cast iron plate on the back that the
threader bar mounts bolted to, others simply bolted to the back of the
machine....never mind..I see it peeking out in one of the photos.

You have 2 threading heads, one from another chucker. A good thing.

Seems to be in decent enough condition with all the bits in the right
places.

A very fair price based on the pictures for most people.

thanks

Have you any chasers and followers for threading various pitches?
And the black spacer that goes on the spindle between the collet closer
and the head, that locks the chasers to the back of the spindle?

I have some chasers, which I was not planning on including.

Btw guys...this is half of what you need for each thread pitch
http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=har...sers&_osacat=0
This cylindrical bit is the other half
http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=har...inge&_osacat=0

You must have the follower (star/cross shaped gizmo) and the lead
(cylinder) with matching pitch...

Tapping on the HC is simple and you can even use a tapmatic head if you
want to do it at "speed"

While not as verstile as an "engine lathe"...will still do at least 95%
of most peoples lathe work in the home shop. At least.

And with unheard of accuracy.

Gunner

"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people,
we should look to limit those guarantees."

Bill Clinton 1993-08-12

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Enco turret lathe Vernon[_2_] Metalworking 7 October 8th 08 05:12 AM
Hardinge DSM-59 turret problem tbriggs Metalworking 2 February 25th 06 06:04 PM
Hardinge HLVH Metric Threading Transposing Gears for sale [email protected] Metalworking 0 August 15th 05 09:07 PM
FS: Lathe Turret barry Metalworking 4 May 12th 05 06:01 PM
Info on Jet TL-25 Turret Lathe? Ed Metalworking 1 March 19th 04 05:17 AM