Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Crashed Car Value?

Sort of OT, though fixing will involve metal working :-)

We have a 1997 Geo Prizm, same as Toyota Corolla, 205K miles. A crash tore
up the rear drivers quarter panel, damaged trunk lid, bumper, etc... The
rear wheel is out of alignment, must have bent something(s). When the
roll-back brought it here they drove it off the back of the roll-back and
pulled it up in the driveway. Engine runs fine, transmission works, would
probably be drivable if the rear wheel was pointing correctly. Anyway I
need to get rid of this now but I have no idea what to ask for it. Any rule
of thumb for pricing cars for parts or repair? I just don't want to sell it
for scrap metal when 85% of the parts are good.

Thanks

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
On Feb 14, 1:19 pm, "RogerN" wrote:
Sort of OT, though fixing will involve metal working :-)

We have a 1997 Geo Prizm, same as Toyota Corolla, 205K miles. A crash tore
up the rear drivers quarter panel, damaged trunk lid, bumper, etc... The
rear wheel is out of alignment, must have bent something(s). When the
roll-back brought it here they drove it off the back of the roll-back and
pulled it up in the driveway. Engine runs fine, transmission works, would
probably be drivable if the rear wheel was pointing correctly. Anyway I
need to get rid of this now but I have no idea what to ask for it. Any
rule
of thumb for pricing cars for parts or repair? I just don't want to sell
it
for scrap metal when 85% of the parts are good.

Thanks

RogerN

/
/How much time do you want to spend on this?
/
/Sell the parts and scrap the rest.
/
/With 205K miles on it, the motor and transmission are past their
/prime.
/
/Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
/
/TMT

The engine and transmission should at least be worth the core, engine runs
great and no transmission problems, but they do have a lot of miles. At
least it's good enough shape someone could drive it up on their trailer.
Maybe I'll advertise for parts and they can hear run and even drive it onto
a trailer.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
Sort of OT, though fixing will involve metal working :-)

We have a 1997 Geo Prizm, same as Toyota Corolla, 205K miles. A crash
tore up the rear drivers quarter panel, damaged trunk lid, bumper, etc...
The rear wheel is out of alignment, must have bent something(s). When the
roll-back brought it here they drove it off the back of the roll-back and
pulled it up in the driveway. Engine runs fine, transmission works, would
probably be drivable if the rear wheel was pointing correctly. Anyway I
need to get rid of this now but I have no idea what to ask for it. Any
rule of thumb for pricing cars for parts or repair? I just don't want to
sell it for scrap metal when 85% of the parts are good.

Thanks

RogerN

Geez Roger, you're awful hard on Prizms. Didn't you total one last year?

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 14, 1:19 pm, "RogerN" wrote:

[...]

RogerN- Hide quoted text -

It is worth what you can get for it.

You have to find someone who wants it...that takes time and money.

That time and money are your resources..how much of your resources do
you want to commit to the effort?

FWIW...I am a believer in being prepared. I always have an extra
vehicle in storage for when it will be needed. It has come in handy
many times over the years when stuff happens. I mention this because
if I were you I would be looking for two vehicles...one for the wife
and one for the spare. You will expend considerable time and effort to
find suitable transportation..why not leverage that effort to find two
cars instead of one?

Good luck hunting...times are tough and the used car market has low
supplies since everyone is holding on to their cars or buyiing used.

Can your wife or you car pool or use public transportation?

TMT

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote in
:

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
..
. On Feb 14, 1:19 pm, "RogerN" wrote:
[...]

You DID have Collision and/or Uninsured Motorist coverage on the car?

If so, don't be in too big of a hurry to part out the car - your
Insurance Company may have quite a bit to say about it...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Yeah, the one I drove got totaled last year from a deer. The one my wife
was driving got it this year. But a 13 year old car with 205K miles doesn't
take a lot of damage to total it. This accident was my wife's fault, she
swerved to try to miss an animal that ran out in front of her and a truck
came up over the hill while she was in the wrong lane. It could have been a
head-on but fortunately they both swerved and the impact was behind the rear
door, just behind the gas cap. I hope she learned next time hit the animal
instead of the truck :-)

I think I'm going to start buying Ford Rangers and put brush guards and skid
plates on them for the animals, I guess it's part of the cost of living out
of town!

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. On Feb 14, 1:19 pm, "RogerN" wrote:
[...]

Insurance Company may have quite a bit to say about it...- Hide quoted text -

If he had collision on it, the company will only pay up to what it is
worth.

And the car is a 1997 with 205K miles on it.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
if you are in a hurry, $500 to $700, if you are not, part it out piece by
piece and get more

I'd be pretty happy with that much, I just don't want to sell if for those
advertising to pay $75 to $150 for salvage cars.
I'll maybe advertise it for $700 and go down from there.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
Sort of OT, though fixing will involve metal working :-)

We have a 1997 Geo Prizm, same as Toyota Corolla, 205K miles. A crash
tore up the rear drivers quarter panel, damaged trunk lid, bumper, etc...
Any rule of thumb for pricing cars for parts or repair? I just don't want
to sell it for scrap metal when 85% of the parts are good.

Thanks

RogerN

We had a 84 Oldsmobile a few years back with 120,000 miles and a fresh
remanufactured engine with about 500 miles on it. The car drove great,
everything worked, but the wife totalled it. I sold the car complete for
$750 and felt lucky to do so! I was furtunate that two friends needed Olds
parts, one wanted the engine, the other wanted the tranny and sold them the
whole car.
In your case it is worth what ever you can get, and with 200K on it I would
not expect much. After all, what is a '97 Prizim that runs worth?? If it was
mine, the first guy that showed up with any amout of moey would own the car.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 17:05:00 -0600, "Greg O"
wrote:

"RogerN" wrote in message
om...
[...]

You might be surprised. We sold my wife's Camry with over 250K on it
for $1200. It was running and in OK condition, but uninspectable due
to an airbag failure. It sold 20 minutes after I listed it on
Craigslist to a guy who came 150 miles twice, once to look at the car
and pay for it, and again a few days later to take it home.

I had very similar experience with a Nissan pickup that was also
uninspectable because the frame was rusted out. There was a feeding
frenzy on Craiglslist over that at $800.

My daughter sold a Saab for parts on Craigslist with similar results.

If the parts are in fact compatible with a Corolla I'll bet the demand
is pretty high.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:28:41 -0800, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

if you are in a hurry, $500 to $700, if you are not, part it out piece by
piece and get more

"RogerN" wrote in message
om...
Sort of OT, though fixing will involve metal working :-)

We have a 1997 Geo Prizm, same as Toyota Corolla, 205K miles. A crash
tore up the rear drivers quarter panel, damaged trunk lid, bumper, etc...
The rear wheel is out of alignment, must have bent something(s). When the
roll-back brought it here they drove it off the back of the roll-back and
pulled it up in the driveway. Engine runs fine, transmission works, would
probably be drivable if the rear wheel was pointing correctly. Anyway I
need to get rid of this now but I have no idea what to ask for it. Any
rule of thumb for pricing cars for parts or repair? I just don't want to
sell it for scrap metal when 85% of the parts are good.

Thanks

RogerN

If he's in a hurry about $75. That's all they are worth up here unless
you find someone who NEEDS the parts that are still good on it and
doesn't care about the mileage. Lots of lower mileage corolla engines
and mechanicals around cheap.
If the body is rust free, you could likely sell the body panels for
significantly more IF you find someone who is wanting to replace body
panels on a 13 year old prizm.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "RogerN" wrote:

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
if you are in a hurry, $500 to $700, if you are not, part it out piece by
piece and get more

I'd be pretty happy with that much, I just don't want to sell if for those
advertising to pay $75 to $150 for salvage cars.
I'll maybe advertise it for $700 and go down from there.

$150 for a salvage car is robbery -- junkyards here in Indianapolis will pay
$300, minimum, for anything that you can drive to them.

How to repair scratched CD at the home [crashed] [email protected] Home Repair 5 March 20th 08 09:47 AM
Tracfone's Computer Crashed peanutjake Home Repair 4 December 30th 05 10:55 PM
Computer crashed Gerald Woodworking 3 August 23rd 04 08:53 PM
Samsung TV crashed when I was watching it. HELP! Jordan Electronics Repair 2 January 29th 04 12:35 AM