Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lathe chuck spindle attachment

This here looks a rather attractive machine particularly as it is on sale:

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=B2227L

Trying to find out more about it I looked at the manual but it is quite
useless. One of the questions I had was how is the chuck attached to the
spindle. The dealer tells me that there is a "flange" but any further
details have not been forthcoming so far.

Are there any standards that would describe such flange attachment? Are
there standard sizes? I am concerned about accessories (5C collet chuck??).
This machine is BTW only superficially similar to the Grizzly G0602 which I
understand has a 1-3/4 - 8TPI spindle.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

One of the questions I had was how is the chuck attached to the
spindle. The dealer tells me that there is a "flange" but any further
details have not been forthcoming so far.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Michael

Probably attaches with threads as you mention. Don't buy from this
dealer if he does not know or does not find out.

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Many lathe models from China have flanged spindles instead of threaded
"noses".
With flanged spindle mounts, there are either studs or threaded holes at the
back face of the chuck body, and holes around the flange to match the
fastening method.

Looking at the closeup pics of the chuck and headstock, shows the flange to
be the same size as the chuck.

There may be some common chucks in the 5" diameter range (and possibly a
little larger) that can be fitted/machined to adapt to the flange on this BB
machine.
Chucks much larger than 5" will likely require an adapter plate that the
user will need to perform some machining to mate the chuck with the spindle.
Oh, I noticed that an adapter plate is shown at the bottom of the
description, and separate from the optional 5" 4-jaw chuck.

The machine features/specs show that the spindle bore is 1" and has a MT4
taper.
The 1" bore excludes using a 5C collet draw tube.

Collet choices would be Morse tapers used with a drawbar, or adapt the MT4
to 3C collets, and use a draw tube.
The 3C collets allow feedthru of material (feeding long stock from the left
side), but the workpiece/stock diameter limit is smaller than 5C.
Morse taper collets don't allow workpiece/stock passthru. Collets sized MT4
may be relatively expensive. MT3 collets with an adapting MT3/MT4 sleeve
would allow cheaper MT3 collets to be used. A few MT4 collets in the larger
sizes might be desirable.

There are adapters for MT3 to 3C collets, but I don't know if there are
adapters that go directly from MT4 to 3C.
The draw tube for the 3C collets may be the same one available for the 9x20
models, or possibly adaptable with (maybe) minor modifications.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
This here looks a rather attractive machine particularly as it is on sale:

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=B2227L

Trying to find out more about it I looked at the manual but it is quite
useless. One of the questions I had was how is the chuck attached to the
spindle. The dealer tells me that there is a "flange" but any further
details have not been forthcoming so far.

Are there any standards that would describe such flange attachment? Are
there standard sizes? I am concerned about accessories (5C collet
chuck??). This machine is BTW only superficially similar to the Grizzly
G0602 which I understand has a 1-3/4 - 8TPI spindle.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
This here looks a rather attractive machine particularly as it is on sale:

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=B2227L

Trying to find out more about it I looked at the manual but it is quite
useless. One of the questions I had was how is the chuck attached to the
spindle. The dealer tells me that there is a "flange" but any further
details have not been forthcoming so far.

Are there any standards that would describe such flange attachment? Are
there standard sizes? I am concerned about accessories (5C collet
chuck??). This machine is BTW only superficially similar to the Grizzly
G0602 which I understand has a 1-3/4 - 8TPI spindle.

Enco makes (or made) a nice lathe with cam-lock chuck, that can fit a 5C
snap handle collet setup.
If you plan on switching often between lathe chuck and collets, cam-lock is
a dream.
The lathe you show is definitely not camlock, as you would see 3 add'l
square socket ditties, for the cams.

I wonder if 10" is large enough for a 5C collet system..... your 1" bore
would not be large enough for 5C.
--
EA

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , says...
This here looks a rather attractive machine particularly as it is on sale:

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=B2227L

Trying to find out more about it I looked at the manual but it is quite
useless. One of the questions I had was how is the chuck attached to the
spindle. The dealer tells me that there is a "flange" but any further
details have not been forthcoming so far.

Are there any standards that would describe such flange attachment? Are
there standard sizes? I am concerned about accessories (5C collet chuck??).
This machine is BTW only superficially similar to the Grizzly G0602 which I
understand has a 1-3/4 - 8TPI spindle.

If it is the same as many of the 3-in-1 machines, it is a standard metric
100mm nosepiece that fits into a recess in the back of the chuck. 4 bolts
pass through the flange and are threaded into the chuck.

--
Dennis

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DT" wrote in message
In article , says...
[...]

Thanks. This gave me a point of reference. I went and had a look at the
Grizzly web site. Their G9729 has (presumably??) the same spindle. I read
the manual (their manuals are far superior to anything out of Busy Bee). It
seems this flange will not take any chuck bigger than 6". And there were
other caveats.

The more I read the less I like it...

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 10, 1:01*am, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
This here looks a rather attractive machine particularly as it is on sale:

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=B2227L

Trying to find out more about it I looked at the manual but it is quite
useless. One of the questions I had was how is the chuck attached to the
spindle. The dealer tells me that there is a "flange" but any further
details have not been forthcoming so far.

Are there any standards that would describe such flange attachment? Are
there standard sizes? I am concerned about accessories (5C collet chuck??).
This machine is BTW only superficially similar to the Grizzly G0602 which I
understand has a 1-3/4 - 8TPI spindle.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Bigger pics

http://www.busybeetools.com/pictures/B2227L.jpg
http://www.busybeetools.com/pictures_roll/B2227L_1.jpg
http://www.busybeetools.com/pictures_roll/B2227L_2.jpg
http://www.busybeetools.com/pictures_roll/B2227L_3.jpg
http://www.busybeetools.com/pictures_roll/B2227L_4.jpg

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael,
I would advise against this machine. It really is not big enough, heavy enough and has serious other restrictions, like the number
of threads, no taper attachment and perhaps other tooling, which is usually included in a used machine. For pretty much the same
size footprint, you should be able to locate a 13 x 40 machine in a tooled condition. You may have to spring for more money
upfront, but you will save money over time. I have 3 lathes and all have a taper attachment. I would never be without one.,
especially if it is your only one. It should be capable of 40 different threads and have a set of change gears for cutting metric
threads. Ideally, you should look for D-4 Camlock spindle with an integral MT5 Taper because of spindle through hole size and
tooling availability.

You will be tempted to buy others, don't. Be patient, get it right the first time.
Steve

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message ...
This here looks a rather attractive machine particularly as it is on sale:

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=B2227L

Trying to find out more about it I looked at the manual but it is quite useless. One of the questions I had was how is the chuck
attached to the spindle. The dealer tells me that there is a "flange" but any further details have not been forthcoming so far.

Are there any standards that would describe such flange attachment? Are there standard sizes? I am concerned about accessories
(5C collet chuck??). This machine is BTW only superficially similar to the Grizzly G0602 which I understand has a 1-3/4 - 8TPI
spindle.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
[...]

Good advice, except I don't think taper attachments are so common. My
buddy, who goes thru quite a few lathes, hasn't seen a taper attachment in a
decade or two.

Are taper attachments wedded to a given lathe, or can they be generic, like
a toolpost?
--
EA

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
This here looks a rather attractive machine particularly as it is on
sale:

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=B2227L

Trying to find out more about it I looked at the manual but it is quite
useless. One of the questions I had was how is the chuck attached to the
spindle. The dealer tells me that there is a "flange" but any further
details have not been forthcoming so far.

Are there any standards that would describe such flange attachment? Are
there standard sizes? I am concerned about accessories (5C collet
chuck??). This machine is BTW only superficially similar to the Grizzly
G0602 which I understand has a 1-3/4 - 8TPI spindle.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

They can be generic, but very unusual. When I bought my 10" SB new from SB in '81, it did not come installed. This is no simple
task. In the end, I got it right, but it was truly a pain. If you do not get the taper attachment as factory, you will be faced
with a whole series of mods for the carriage, which are not trivial. Secondly, after using the taper attachment on the SB 10
without a differential crossfeed screw and using the SB 13 x 40 SB with a differential crossfeed, there is no comparison. Give me
the differential variety any day, as it allows the user to dial in cuts with the crossfeed AND the compound in a conventional
manner. Without the differential crossfeed, only the compound can be used as the cross feed is disabled, which is not convenient.
Using the taper attachment on my big 18 x 54 Lodge & Shipley is even easier. It is also factory installed.When you need one, there
is no substitute. I would not own a lathe without one.
Steve

"Existential Angst" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Flanged spindles aren't all that bad, to be the one reason to choose a
different lathe with a threaded spindle, unless the threaded feature was
critically important.

Fabricating chuck adapter plates is just one of those things that lathe
users do when required, for flanged or threaded spindles.

A chuck won't come unthreaded from a flange while running the lathe in
reverse, but it happens with threaded spindles once in a while (usually only
once to some operators).

Another collet option ocurred to me (I'm slow).. ER collets could be used if
one were to make an adapter/collet chuck to mount to the spindle flange.
The overall length of the ER adapter/chuck would subtract from the
center-to-center spec of the lathe.
The amount of the extention away from the spindle nose bearing would depend
on the holder design and the length of the collets.
The holder and ER collets would allow long stock to pass thru the headsock.

--
WB

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
This here looks a rather attractive machine particularly as it is on sale:

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=B2227L

Trying to find out more about it I looked at the manual but it is quite
useless. One of the questions I had was how is the chuck attached to the
spindle. The dealer tells me that there is a "flange" but any further
details have not been forthcoming so far.

Are there any standards that would describe such flange attachment? Are
there standard sizes? I am concerned about accessories (5C collet
chuck??). This machine is BTW only superficially similar to the Grizzly
G0602 which I understand has a 1-3/4 - 8TPI spindle.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 17, 3:20*pm, "Wild_Bill" wrote:
Flanged spindles aren't all that bad, to be the one reason to choose a
different lathe with a threaded spindle, unless the threaded feature was
critically important.

Fabricating chuck adapter plates is just one of those things that lathe
users do when required, for flanged or threaded spindles.

Backplates are simply interchangeable flange mounts. Threads aren't
superior, just easier to cut at home than tapers.

Another collet option ocurred to me (I'm slow).. ER collets could be used if
one were to make an adapter/collet chuck to mount to the spindle flange.....
WB

http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ory=-421559299
Or center an ER extension chuck in the 4-jaw.

I wrote "John Locke's current incarnation on "Lost" is straight from
Buffy" and then saw this:
http://www.movieline.com/2010/02/buf...s.php?page=all

It's fair, Whedon lifted plot and character ideas freely and blatantly
from Star Trek, X-Files, Kubrick and Alien(s), which he helped write.
Don't tell the lawyers, I think Buffy was his version of Ellen Ripley,
a character who well deserved extended development in a TV series. He
swapped magic for the tech and demons for space aliens, but used them
in all the same ways, including a self-aware creation like Moriarty,
an ex-demon girl as clueless about humanity as Data, 3 goofy geeks
(clone gunmen), and Quark as the high school principal. "Spike" in the
article above is a vampire Alex from A Clockwork Orange.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The LMS ER-32 collet chuck at $200 is a fairly expensive accessory for a 7x
mini-lathe, especially when a collet set is somewhat costly. But it does
include a wrench.

But a chuck like that would be a good project and a handy accessory for a
lathe with a spindle flange.

The LMS chuck looks like it's aluminum, the weight shown is 2.43 lbs
(although ya can never tell what given weighs are, actual part weight or
shipping weight).

The lathe model that Michael referred to earlier, had a MT4 taper and a 1"
bore (5" flange), whereas the 7x mini has a MT3 and a 3/4" bore (with a 3"
flange).

There are MT3 shank to ER chucks, so maybe there are also MT4 to ER, but
they wouldn't have the stock pass-thru capability.

I'm not familiar with ER series collet overall sizes or capacities, but I
was looking at C3 collets a while ago, which can be used with a MT3 spindle
taper by adding a fairly inexpensive (~$35) adapter (and fabricating a
drawtube, or LMS sells drawtubes).

I suppose that if one were inclined, a MT3 to C3 adaper could be made from a
large endmill holder (cut down, bore thru). The same plan could work for
fabricating an ER chuck on a MT taper, maybe.

The 7x mini I bought a while ago, and the 9x20 I've had for several years,
both have MT3 spindle tapers.
I do have a 10-piece set of MT3 collets, but C3s are a self-releasing type,
which I would prefer.

Your perception into details of shows is somewhat astounding to me. I don't
watch many TV shows because there aren't many good ones.
The last series that I really enjoyed was X-Files, and Lost intrigued me at
first, but I haven't watched it since season 2.
The creator of X-Files said his enjoyment of the old series Night Stalker,
in part, led to the creation of X-Files.

--
WB

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a MT4 ER collet chuck for my lathe and a holder for my mill.

Pass through is limited to the vendor and strength. Neither one is a pass
through, but I suspect the holder is stronger best.

Martin

Wild_Bill wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 17, 9:54*pm, "Wild_Bill" wrote:

http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ProductID=2532....
Or center an ER extension chuck in the 4-jaw.

The LMS ER-32 collet chuck at $200 is a fairly expensive accessory for a 7x
mini-lathe, especially when a collet set is somewhat costly. But it does
include a wrench.

But a chuck like that would be a good project and a handy accessory for a
lathe with a spindle flange.

Get good 3 and 4 jaw chucks and use the lathe, collets are nice and
convenient but not necessary.

Your perception into details of shows is somewhat astounding to me.
WB

Not mine so much, I read reviews partly to analyse and learn the
writer's style. I used to work part-time on film and theatre crews and
thus notice details of acting, directing, sets, props and lighting.
Whedon's DVD commentaries are nearly a master class in the art of film
making.

This is the stunt woman:
http://www.sophiacrawford.com/sophia-crawford-bio.htm
I suffered through a few minutes of Power Rangers to see their
superhuman gymnastic abilities.

Whedon allowed the backstage crew to communicate with fans on the
Internet as long as they didn't discuss plots, and the unaccustomed
fame they received went to a few heads including hers and Jeff
Pruitt's. OTOH the writers were fascinating and soon grabbed the fans'
attention.
http://www.whedon.info/Drew-Goddard-...-Beta,415.html
He's the grandson of the rocket Goddard and well educated in science,
which he writes into "Lost". "Minions" are his fan base.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

snip

This is the stunt woman:
http://www.sophiacrawford.com/sophia-crawford-bio.htm
I suffered through a few minutes of Power Rangers to see their
superhuman gymnastic abilities.

Great body mechanics.

Whedon allowed the backstage crew to communicate with fans on the
Internet as long as they didn't discuss plots, and the unaccustomed
fame they received went to a few heads including hers and Jeff
Pruitt's.

That maybe but her replacement was not a patch on her.

BTW is this your IMDb entry?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0929273/

--
Michael Koblic,