Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Vacuum hose attachment directly to lathe spindle (sherline)

Unusual idea I have:
I have a 4100 sherline lathe with a hollow spindle (factory). Threaded
directly to the spindle is a fixture which accomodates a 1.5" steel
"puck" with a hole in the middle. Using a round polishing stone on the
tailstock I grind away a welded seam at the very edge of the hole,
effectively creating a nice radii which gets polished out later.

Problem is that I am getting fragments from the puck and stone into
the hole (ID) and I cannot have that. Since the fixture and spindle
shaft have a centre thru-hole, I was thinking of applying a vacuum
source to the end of the spindle shaft (again, the entire spindle is
hollow). This will effectively suck out any fragments.

Obviously I would have to stick a non-rotating hose to the rotating
spindle shaft, but what adapter to use? Is there something readily
available?

thanks you in advance.
Marcel
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 6, 8:57*am, "
wrote:
[...]

All lathes have that problem. Just wad up a paper towel or shop rag
and stuff in hole. Then vacuum out the fragments when you are
through.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote: (clip) but what adapter to use? Is there
something readily
available?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is done all the time on wood lathes. You can mount a sealed ball
bearing on the end of your spindle, and hook your hose to that. The
simplest idea to try would be a snap fitting. It may wear out after a
while, but they are cheap.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 08:57:02 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

Good Afternoon Marcel (at least it's afternoon in my part of the world
g)

I also have a Sherline and have had similar problems with 'stuff'
getting into the spindle thru the center holes in the 3 and 4 jaw
chucks. Doesn't seem to hurt anything but makes cleaning the spindle
taper prior to using a tapered center a _must_. I made the cleaning a
bit easier by putting a small piece of foam packing in the spindle in
the taper end. It keeps most of the junk in the center hole of the
chuck. If you can live with 'stuff' in the center hole of your
fixture, just plugging the spindle hole might be a quick/easy fix.
Best of luck.
Bob
rgentry at oz dot net
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

if you were to browse over to my web page, wbnoble.com, and click on vacuum
pumps/chucks, or the wood turning club web page that I manage,
www.woodturners.org and go to tips, you will find an article i wrote on vac
chucks that includes how to make such a setup
along with lots more data on this type of application than anyone in his/her
right mind would actually need.