Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Lathe chuck spindle attachment

Many lathe models from China have flanged spindles instead of threaded
"noses".
With flanged spindle mounts, there are either studs or threaded holes at the
back face of the chuck body, and holes around the flange to match the
fastening method.

Looking at the closeup pics of the chuck and headstock, shows the flange to
be the same size as the chuck.

There may be some common chucks in the 5" diameter range (and possibly a
little larger) that can be fitted/machined to adapt to the flange on this BB
machine.
Chucks much larger than 5" will likely require an adapter plate that the
user will need to perform some machining to mate the chuck with the spindle.
Oh, I noticed that an adapter plate is shown at the bottom of the
description, and separate from the optional 5" 4-jaw chuck.

The machine features/specs show that the spindle bore is 1" and has a MT4
taper.
The 1" bore excludes using a 5C collet draw tube.

Collet choices would be Morse tapers used with a drawbar, or adapt the MT4
to 3C collets, and use a draw tube.
The 3C collets allow feedthru of material (feeding long stock from the left
side), but the workpiece/stock diameter limit is smaller than 5C.
Morse taper collets don't allow workpiece/stock passthru. Collets sized MT4
may be relatively expensive. MT3 collets with an adapting MT3/MT4 sleeve
would allow cheaper MT3 collets to be used. A few MT4 collets in the larger
sizes might be desirable.

There are adapters for MT3 to 3C collets, but I don't know if there are
adapters that go directly from MT4 to 3C.
The draw tube for the 3C collets may be the same one available for the 9x20
models, or possibly adaptable with (maybe) minor modifications.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
This here looks a rather attractive machine particularly as it is on sale:

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=B2227L

Trying to find out more about it I looked at the manual but it is quite
useless. One of the questions I had was how is the chuck attached to the
spindle. The dealer tells me that there is a "flange" but any further
details have not been forthcoming so far.

Are there any standards that would describe such flange attachment? Are
there standard sizes? I am concerned about accessories (5C collet
chuck??). This machine is BTW only superficially similar to the Grizzly
G0602 which I understand has a 1-3/4 - 8TPI spindle.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC