Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pie Jaw chucks

I stumbled across this website and the pics of the "pie jaw chucks". I did a
little googling around and generally understand their benefits.

Do you machine the gripping bore to suit the work?

Why do the jaws in the pic have the radial profile rather than solid - just
to save material & weight?

cheers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Royston Vasey" wrote:

I stumbled across this website and the pics of the "pie jaw chucks". I did a
little googling around and generally understand their benefits.

Do you machine the gripping bore to suit the work?

Why do the jaws in the pic have the radial profile rather than solid - just
to save material & weight?

I think you are looking at soft jaws. Soft jaws are often used on cnc lathes to hold
parts. The jaws are clamped on a ring to keep them from fully closing and the profile of
the part is cut into them.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-01-18, Royston Vasey wrote:
I stumbled across this website

Which website? Did you find a web site which mirrors this
usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking? Normally, there are (and
should be) no images here.

and the pics of the "pie jaw chucks". I did a
little googling around and generally understand their benefits.

Do you machine the gripping bore to suit the work?

It depends. There are "soft" pie jaws which can be machined to
fit a specific workpiece. But there are also hard jaws -- multiple
steps which are a precise fit for standard diameters and a pretty good
fit for in between sizes.

Why do the jaws in the pic have the radial profile rather than solid - just
to save material & weight?

Again -- which pic? And what do you mean by "radial profile"?
pie shape of the jaws, or the radiused gripping surface?

The pie shape is so when fitted to a six-jaw chuck, the chuck
can be closed to the maximum amount, allowing the sides of the jaws to
just barely touch.

The radial profile is to fit standard diameters -- and grip
fairly well diameters just a little smaller.

Are what you saw for six-jawed chucks? The combination of the
six jaws and the curved gripping surface allows gripping rings with
minimal distortion compared to the same thin walled object gripped by a
three-jaw chuck.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
news
"Royston Vasey" wrote:

I stumbled across this website and the pics of the "pie jaw chucks". I did
little googling around and generally understand their benefits.

Do you machine the gripping bore to suit the work?

Why do the jaws in the pic have the radial profile rather than solid -
just
to save material & weight?

I think you are looking at soft jaws. Soft jaws are often used on cnc
lathes to hold
parts. The jaws are clamped on a ring to keep them from fully closing and
the profile of
the part is cut into them.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Cheers Wes, I neglected to post the link to the website (my apologies!).
Yeah they look like they might be soft jaws, but ones that provide more
support around the part.

Chucks for 2 1/4 - 10 spindle? Ignoramus16571 Metalworking 5 September 19th 09 07:01 AM
Chucks-Chucks -Chucks [ UK ] brian white Woodturning 42 April 9th 08 01:40 AM
Market for old chucks Max63 Woodturning 7 June 27th 07 10:52 PM
Chucks Maxprop Woodturning 13 January 29th 04 03:21 PM
Chucks moggy Woodturning 8 November 26th 03 11:50 AM