Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chucks for 2 1/4 - 10 spindle?

This is for my dividing head (LW Chuck Co). It has a spindle that has
a 2 1/4" - 10 thread for mounting chucks. It presently has a four jaw
chuck, but I am hoping to find a three jaw chuck at an affordable
price, probably on ebay.

Perhaps 2 1/4 - 10 chucks were made for some common type of lathe, how
would I look for one?

If I cannot find one, I can just keep using the four jaw chuck, so it
is not that big of a deal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Another possibility is to make one, but just one 6" diameter, 3" long
steel rod costs about $70.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

that's not what you do - you get a blank chuck back and thread it to the
desired thread on your lathe

"Ignoramus16571" wrote in message
Another possibility is to make one, but just one 6" diameter, 3" long
steel rod costs about $70.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Another possibility is to make one, but just one 6" diameter, 3" long
steel rod costs about $70.

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...in_Back_Chucks

You could also look on eBay. Heck, where you are in the industrial
heartland, probably craigslist, too.
--Glenn Lyford
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-09-18, Ignoramus16571 wrote:
This is for my dividing head (LW Chuck Co). It has a spindle that has
a 2 1/4" - 10 thread for mounting chucks. It presently has a four jaw
chuck, but I am hoping to find a three jaw chuck at an affordable
price, probably on ebay.

Perhaps 2 1/4 - 10 chucks were made for some common type of lathe, how
would I look for one?

If I cannot find one, I can just keep using the four jaw chuck, so it
is not that big of a deal.

Or -- get a chuck which uses a separate backplate, and machine
up one for the 2-1/4x10 nose. Your lathe will cut a 10 TPI thread,
won't it? My Clausing will.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 17, 9:49*pm, Ignoramus16571 ignoramus16...@NOSPAM.
16571.invalid wrote:
This is for my dividing head (LW Chuck Co). It has a spindle that has
a 2 1/4" - 10 thread for mounting chucks. It presently has a four jaw
chuck, but I am hoping to find a three jaw chuck at an affordable
price, probably on ebay.

Perhaps 2 1/4 - 10 chucks were made for some common type of lathe, how
would I look for one?

If I cannot find one, I can just keep using the four jaw chuck, so it
is not that big of a deal.

Backplates are relatively easy to make, I've made several out of hot-
rolled slugs cut from flat stock, leftovers from heavy equipment
manufacture. Integral back chucks may be easier to use, but you can
tweek your own chuck backplate to whatever runout you're willing to
spend the time reducing it to. I think it was the Southbend lathe
manual where I first saw the procedure. You can also get partially
finished backplates from a number of suppliers, cost a lot more than
hot-rolled scrap, though. Not sure why you'd want to go to a 3 jaw on
a dividing head, presumably you'd want your cuts to be precisely
located around the center axis of your work piece, 3-jaws aren't noted
for accuracy of centering.

Stan

Spindle nose adapter for Delta-Rockwell 11" lathe (#25-100) with L-00 spindle Dan Allen Metalworking 7 April 3rd 14 05:12 PM
Chucks-Chucks -Chucks [ UK ] brian white Woodturning 42 April 9th 08 01:40 AM
Problem installing Tradesman drillpress - "locking" spindle arborinto the spindle mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net Woodworking 4 April 18th 06 01:31 AM
Chucks Maxprop Woodturning 13 January 29th 04 03:21 PM
Chucks moggy Woodturning 8 November 26th 03 11:50 AM