Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to remove keyless chuck

Inspired by Bob Engelhardts(sp?) recent posting on his $9 angle
grinder, thought I would ask this one of the group.....
El Cheapo cordless drills usually get discarded when the (you know
from where) battery packs die. I want to recycle the low voltage DC
motor (and slipping clutch) as an X-axis feed motor for my mini-mill.
I know there is a reverse thread screw down the middle, got that out -
but removing the chuck itself seems impossible (without using an angle
grinder) (The angle grinder approach leaves you with a short stub that
is difficult to fit an extension shaft/slip coupling to...)
Theres no chuck lock pin as on a "real" drill, at least not on the
ones I have been able to acquire.

So - how is it done? - tried holding the chuck tight in a vise, but
cant grip it anywhere on the rest of the thing to break the joint.
Putting an Allen key in the chuck and then applying the precision
adjusting tool (about a 5lb one) wont do it either, it just rotates
the lot. Not concerned about trashing the chuck, just want the motor/
gearbox/clutch assembly. Not even sure if its screwed on or just a
press fit - running out of ones to experiment on g.. Was inspired by

http://www.progressivelogic.com/mf/powerfeed1.html which was on
here yonks ago...

Regards,
Andrew VK3BFA.
..
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
[...]

.

Last one I took off had a small hex socket head CSK screw accessed via the
business end of the chuck (open it right up and have a look inside). After
removal the chuck could then be unscrewed from the shaft. Yours may or may
not be the same.

I've used the motor / chuck in conjunction with an old drawer slide to make
a fast little tapping machine. Added a centre off changeover toggle switch
to allow quick fwd / stop / reverse control.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've removed quite a few chucks from hand drills. They have all been
threaded on, with a keeper screw.

The keeper is left handed, as you know, but the chuck is right handed.
They have all come off with the hex-key-in-the-jaws,hit-with-hammer
technique. A few have been quite stubborn, but with the drill on a
solid surface & a smart whack, they have all come off. I don't think
that I've ever had to use anything bigger that a 16 oz hammer.

My intuition is that a smaller hammer, moving faster, would work better
than a bigger, slower, hammer.

HTH,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 14, 2:58*am, Andrew VK3BFA wrote:
Inspired by Bob Engelhardts(sp?) recent posting on his $9 angle
grinder, thought I would ask this one of the group.....
El Cheapo cordless drill ... want to recycle the low voltage DC motor

I know there is a reverse thread screw down the middle, got that out -
but removing the chuck itself seems impossible ...
So - how is it done? - tried holding the chuck tight in a vise, but
cant grip it anywhere on the rest of the thing to break the joint.
Putting an Allen key in the chuck and then applying the *precision
adjusting tool (about a 5lb one) wont do it either, it just rotates
the lot. Not concerned about trashing the chuck, just want the motor/
gearbox/clutch assembly. Not even sure if its screwed on or just a
press fit

It's screwed on. That's why the lefthand screw was in the center
(it's
a reversing drill/driver, the center screw keeps it from loosening).
I had the same problem with a pneumatic drill (real nice one, Boeing
surplus), had to disassemble the gear housing and use wood blocks
and a vise to grab the pinion gear.

You can also try heat (poke a soldering iron down the bore
of the chuck) and penetrating oil.

Try to retain the chuck; one of these on a handle is a nice pin vise,
and the possibilities don't end there. Your shaft will be 3/8"-24
threaded if you get it off; the chuck can mate that thread to any
shaft from 1/16 to 3/8"...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

on most hand drills that are reversible, the chuck has RH threads, there is
a LH threaded screw inside to hold it in place during reversing - you've
gotten that screw out, so next step, take a large allen wrench (L shaped),
grab it tightly in the chuck and smack it sharply with a hammer to break the
chuck free

[...]

How to remove a keyless chuck DanG Home Repair 23 February 1st 16 08:24 PM
removing keyless chuck Eric and Megan Swope Home Repair 10 May 9th 05 12:37 AM
Keyless chuck removal Al Woodworking 6 September 6th 04 08:11 PM
Keyless Chuck for Drill Press Bernie Hunt Woodworking 2 June 4th 04 12:31 AM
Keyless chuck D Moss Home Repair 6 December 29th 03 03:57 PM