Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default How to remove keyless chuck

on most hand drills that are reversible, the chuck has RH threads, there is
a LH threaded screw inside to hold it in place during reversing - you've
gotten that screw out, so next step, take a large allen wrench (L shaped),
grab it tightly in the chuck and smack it sharply with a hammer to break the
chuck free

"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
Inspired by Bob Engelhardts(sp?) recent posting on his $9 angle
grinder, thought I would ask this one of the group.....
El Cheapo cordless drills usually get discarded when the (you know
from where) battery packs die. I want to recycle the low voltage DC
motor (and slipping clutch) as an X-axis feed motor for my mini-mill.
I know there is a reverse thread screw down the middle, got that out -
but removing the chuck itself seems impossible (without using an angle
grinder) (The angle grinder approach leaves you with a short stub that
is difficult to fit an extension shaft/slip coupling to...)
Theres no chuck lock pin as on a "real" drill, at least not on the
ones I have been able to acquire.

So - how is it done? - tried holding the chuck tight in a vise, but
cant grip it anywhere on the rest of the thing to break the joint.
Putting an Allen key in the chuck and then applying the precision
adjusting tool (about a 5lb one) wont do it either, it just rotates
the lot. Not concerned about trashing the chuck, just want the motor/
gearbox/clutch assembly. Not even sure if its screwed on or just a
press fit - running out of ones to experiment on g.. Was inspired by

http://www.progressivelogic.com/mf/powerfeed1.html which was on
here yonks ago...

Regards,
Andrew VK3BFA.