Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default How to remove keyless chuck

On Dec 14, 2:58*am, Andrew VK3BFA wrote:
Inspired by Bob Engelhardts(sp?) recent posting on his $9 angle
grinder, thought I would ask this one of the group.....
El Cheapo cordless drill ... want to recycle the low voltage DC motor

I know there is a reverse thread screw down the middle, got that out -
but removing the chuck itself seems impossible ...
So - how is it done? - tried holding the chuck tight in a vise, but
cant grip it anywhere on the rest of the thing to break the joint.
Putting an Allen key in the chuck and then applying the *precision
adjusting tool (about a 5lb one) wont do it either, it just rotates
the lot. Not concerned about trashing the chuck, just want the motor/
gearbox/clutch assembly. Not even sure if its screwed on or just a
press fit

It's screwed on. That's why the lefthand screw was in the center
(it's
a reversing drill/driver, the center screw keeps it from loosening).
I had the same problem with a pneumatic drill (real nice one, Boeing
surplus), had to disassemble the gear housing and use wood blocks
and a vise to grab the pinion gear.

You can also try heat (poke a soldering iron down the bore
of the chuck) and penetrating oil.

Try to retain the chuck; one of these on a handle is a nice pin vise,
and the possibilities don't end there. Your shaft will be 3/8"-24
threaded if you get it off; the chuck can mate that thread to any
shaft from 1/16 to 3/8"...