Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pictures of welding on the jerry can -- converted to fuel tank

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 07:55:46 -0600, Ignoramus24315

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.crafts.metalworking.]
On 2009-12-02, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 22:07:08 -0600, Ignoramus11104
wrote:

Shrug...yet you think you will be uneffected if it lets go?

I think that I will be unaffected, yes. Maybe some broken dishes, if that.

Cool! Then make sure you are stocked up on paper plates and you are
good to go.

Never mind that pesky power failure state wide for weeks or months..you
can drive your car down the road to a non working gas station and not
get another 36 hours of fuel.

You cannot live life without taking chances. There is a big cost to
stockpiling an excessive amount of crap in preparation to an event that
will nost likely never come. I have covered 99% of all eventualities,
and am prepared to suffer a bit in the other 1%, by stretching fuel
over more days.

G you do understand that Im jerking your chain...a little..and
making you think some things through a little farther than you have
appeared to done, right?

you have a very nice genset at 20kw

The big problem is that its a fuel hog simply because of its size.
You really DONT need to power up your entire house in an
emergency..unless you have huge tanks of fuel tucked away.

Simply because you havent had a long term power failure..doesnt mean
its never going to happen..and in todays uncertain times....its
something you damned well may wish to consider..and plan for.

3 weeks is a good "mean" to try to accomodate. Generally FEMA etc etc
may get supplies etc into an area after than time frame.

But fuels may not be first on the list. And do you Really want to drive
100 miles for 40 gallons of fuel, over icey roads, downed powerlines and
unfriendly natives?..only to have it last a day and a half?

You are going to have to figure out a "worst case sceanario" and try to
stick to it. If a drunk clips the pole out front on your street..its
one thing..but if you are hit with an icestorm, flood, earthquake etc
etc..it can last a very long time..and you really wont know how long it
will last..... Shrug.

Ive been a "survivalist" for 35 yrs..and one thing Ive learned..is
that half assed planning works..until the one time something different
happens and bites you in the ass..and bites hard.

Ive got 4 gensets here at the homestead. From 2.2kw to 10kw.

And I generally run the 4kw because 50 gallons of fuel, used
intelligently..will last me over a month...30 days.

I also have a cabinet filled with Coleman stoves, lanterns, fuel,
mantles, etc etc. It seldom gets opened..but when it does..whatever was
consumed is replaced immediately. I think Ive got 12 lanterns, and
about 11 stoves. The stoves are trading stock G as well as
loaners..along with some of the lanterns. They will ALL burn unleaded
fuels..even the old ones. But they will need the generators replaced
over time. Ive got 8 generators in the Spares bins. Fuel caps, needle
valves, all the normal stuff needed to keep em running for many years.

Cheap insurance. Damned cheap.

Same with food..I keep 4 months minimum on hand. Standard canned goods
for the most part...and each can is labled with purchase date and
everything is set up so its rotated regularly. Eaten and replaced.
Sleeping bags, cold and warm weather gear..all in a specific location
and kept in good shape. Packs, camping gear in case one has to BugOut.
Arms, ammo, boots, blades, digging gear, etc etc. All racked and
prepared. Shrug...very very cheap insurance and something one seldom
has to **** with but is instantly on hand when needed.
Most of it was bought used..but bought intelligently. White Stag
sleeping bags are cheap when you find em at a second hand store..as a
single example.

Water here in the desert is a necessity. When you get 4" (inches) of
rain a year...one has to make plans for having water on hand in case of
an emergency. And to use it intelligently. Or die. Shug

Once you are set up..its largely a supply of Stuff that can..can keep
you and your family alive for a significant amount of time. And needs
very little attention. Like fire extinguishers. They hang on the wall,
but are there when you NEED them. One seldom even needs to dust them.

Shrug..but hey...do as you choose. Its only the life of your family
thats at risk. Right?

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or
about Wed, 02 Dec 2009 09:05:56 -0800 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

G you do understand that Im jerking your chain...a little..and
making you think some things through a little farther than you have
appeared to done, right?

you have a very nice genset at 20kw

The big problem is that its a fuel hog simply because of its size.
You really DONT need to power up your entire house in an
emergency..unless you have huge tanks of fuel tucked away.

Simply because you havent had a long term power failure..doesnt mean
its never going to happen..and in todays uncertain times....its
something you damned well may wish to consider..and plan for.

3 weeks is a good "mean" to try to accomodate. Generally FEMA etc etc
may get supplies etc into an area after than time frame.

Place I live, worse case scenario, the bridges (two) go down.
There is no other way "out" (National Forest behind us, river runs
"round" us.) We were told FEMA may get here after 72 hours, but if
the bridges are out, it may be a long time till supplies are
available. Gasoline. Water, food. Least bad situation, the road
bridges are down, but the old cattle now pedestrian bridge is up. Six
miles to the bridge, walk across and now you're only 7 miles from
town. "Plan accordingly."

But fuels may not be first on the list. And do you Really want to drive
100 miles for 40 gallons of fuel, over icey roads, downed powerlines and
unfriendly natives?

They might friendlier if you didn't drive over them. B-)

..only to have it last a day and a half?

You are going to have to figure out a "worst case sceanario" and try to
stick to it. If a drunk clips the pole out front on your street..its
one thing..but if you are hit with an icestorm, flood, earthquake etc
etc..it can last a very long time..and you really wont know how long it
will last..... Shrug.

Ayup.

pyotr

-