Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stuck BOSS...

I have a BOSS with the micrometer locknut stuck at the bottomed out zero
position. So far Kroil has not released it, nor has considerable torque
applied from channel locks via some 1/8" hard rubber to protect the
knurl.

Suggestions?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 14:43:19 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

I have a BOSS with the micrometer locknut stuck at the bottomed out zero
position. So far Kroil has not released it, nor has considerable torque
applied from channel locks via some 1/8" hard rubber to protect the
knurl.

Suggestions?

I cant remember if they are right or left handed threads. Have you tried
both ways?

Firing lead bullets through it?

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a BOSS with the micrometer locknut stuck at the bottomed out zero
position. So far Kroil has not released it, nor has considerable torque
applied from channel locks via some 1/8" hard rubber to protect the
knurl.

Suggestions?

I cant remember if they are right or left handed threads. Have you tried
both ways?

They are normal right hand type threads. The front brake / weight
section unscrews ok, just the back locknut is... er... locked at the
zero position. The instructions say to bottom it when setting the
calibration of the number ring, so it's certainly intended to be
bottomed out and not seize.

Firing lead bullets through it?

Er, not in my office. I have applied plenty of Kroil, as well as some
mild heat with a hair dryer.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a BOSS with the micrometer locknut stuck at the bottomed out zero
position. So far Kroil has not released it, nor has considerable torque
applied from channel locks via some 1/8" hard rubber to protect the
knurl.

Suggestions?

I cant remember if they are right or left handed threads. Have you tried
both ways?

They are normal right hand type threads. The front brake / weight
section unscrews ok, just the back locknut is... er... locked at the
zero position. The instructions say to bottom it when setting the
calibration of the number ring, so it's certainly intended to be
bottomed out and not seize.

Firing lead bullets through it?

Er, not in my office. I have applied plenty of Kroil, as well as some
mild heat with a hair dryer.

We are talking about a BOSS barrel tuning device on the end of a rifle
barrel, right?

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes, on a BAR Safari Mk2. It is metal, and rapidly becoming a
metalworking project to fix it. May end up wrecking the locknut to get
it off and having to buy a replacement.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ok. First thing you do is go to the Autozone and pick up a can of
PBlaster and hose it all down really well and let it set (barrel down)
over a rag or in a coffee can for a day or so.

Then take a heat gun and slap some heat to it. Hair dryer will not get
hot enough.

Then try it while its nice and hot. And be sure you turn it in the
right direction. A little back and forth may help.

If it comes loose, remove it after recording your settings, make a
line/scratch or something..then clean it up, and slopper some decent
high temp grease on the threads and screw it back together. Antiseize
compound is good too. The silver stuff at the Zone works well for this.

Been shooting corrosive primers by any chance? Wolf?

I cannot recall if its right or left hand thread. Check it out with a
magnifying glass if you can or read your manual..it might say.

http://media.browning.com/pdf/om/boss_02380_om_s.pdf

That may help. One assumes that you got the part with the holes.. off?

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes, on a BAR Mk2 Safari. It is metal, and rapidly becoming a
metalworking project to fix it. May end up wrecking the locknut to get
it off and having to buy a replacement. And of course Browning is closed
due to the holiday.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes, on a BAR mk2 Safari. It's metal and this is rapidly becoming a
metalworking project to remove it. I may end up destroying the locknut
to get it off and having to get a new one. Of course Browning is closed
for the holiday too
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes, on a BAR Mk2 Safari. It is metal, and this is rapidly becoming a
metalworking project to get it off. I may end up having to destroy the
locknut to get it off and order a new one. Browning is closed for the
holiday too

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 14:43:19 -0600, the infamous "Pete C."
scrawled the following:

I have a BOSS with the micrometer locknut stuck at the bottomed out zero
position. So far Kroil has not released it, nor has considerable torque
applied from channel locks via some 1/8" hard rubber to protect the
knurl.

Non-p/c application of freon 12 to the shaft with heated rubber pads
to the nut? (Keep it away from the plastic base.)

Have you tried moving it back and forth, alternating tightening and
loosening, while attempting to rotate the micrometer (? not familiar
with the Boss)? Sometimes moving both at once can rock it loose.

--
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Might be able to use Dust-Off, just tip the can upside down
and spray liquid off the bottom. Propane torch for the heat?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Might be able to use Dust-Off, just tip the can upside down
and spray liquid off the bottom. Propane torch for the heat?

It's off now, and I usually have liquid nitrogen on hand if I need to
cool stuff.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Liquid nitrogen probably cheaper than dustuff, if you have
the tanks and such, already.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Might be able to use Dust-Off, just tip the can upside
down
and spray liquid off the bottom. Propane torch for the
heat?

It's off now, and I usually have liquid nitrogen on hand if
I need to
cool stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Liquid nitrogen probably cheaper than dustuff, if you have
the tanks and such, already.

Cheaper and colder. $1/liter for -328F or so.

BPT BOSS 5 opinions jw Metalworking 2 October 2nd 08 08:27 PM
Boss white David Sims UK diy 6 February 16th 08 06:19 PM
How smart is your boss Terry Home Repair 15 February 1st 07 10:22 PM
Strap On Boss Lenny Brown UK diy 4 January 29th 06 10:49 PM