Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stuck BOSS...

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 08:11:42 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 19:56:17 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 14:43:19 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

I have a BOSS with the micrometer locknut stuck at the bottomed out zero
position. So far Kroil has not released it, nor has considerable torque
applied from channel locks via some 1/8" hard rubber to protect the
knurl.

Suggestions?

I cant remember if they are right or left handed threads. Have you tried
both ways?

They are normal right hand type threads. The front brake / weight
section unscrews ok, just the back locknut is... er... locked at the
zero position. The instructions say to bottom it when setting the
calibration of the number ring, so it's certainly intended to be
bottomed out and not seize.

Firing lead bullets through it?

Er, not in my office. I have applied plenty of Kroil, as well as some
mild heat with a hair dryer.

We are talking about a BOSS barrel tuning device on the end of a rifle
barrel, right?

Yes, on a BAR Safari Mk2. It is metal, and rapidly becoming a
metalworking project to fix it. May end up wrecking the locknut to get
it off and having to buy a replacement.

Ok. First thing you do is go to the Autozone and pick up a can of
PBlaster and hose it all down really well and let it set (barrel down)
over a rag or in a coffee can for a day or so.

Then take a heat gun and slap some heat to it. Hair dryer will not get
hot enough.

Then try it while its nice and hot. And be sure you turn it in the
right direction. A little back and forth may help.

If it comes loose, remove it after recording your settings, make a
line/scratch or something..then clean it up, and slopper some decent
high temp grease on the threads and screw it back together. Antiseize
compound is good too. The silver stuff at the Zone works well for this.

Been shooting corrosive primers by any chance? Wolf?

I cannot recall if its right or left hand thread. Check it out with a
magnifying glass if you can or read your manual..it might say.

http://media.browning.com/pdf/om/boss_02380_om_s.pdf

That may help. One assumes that you got the part with the holes.. off?

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton