Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interesting bench vise, pic posted to the dropbox

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
While in Australia last month, we found time to visit the Binalong Motor
Museum in Binalong, NSW. It's a combination of personal vehicles and items
loaned by other institutions, and is well worth a visit if you're passing
by.

While wandering about the restoration workshop I spotted a very
interesting bench vise. The jaws are offset to the right such that long
lengths of material can be clamped vertically. Posted a pic and
description to the dropbox.
Dawn40S_BenchVise.jpg and Dawn40S_BenchVise.txt are the files.

The one I saw is a Dawn 40S and was made in Australia. I'd love to have
one similar to this. Given the cost of shipping to and from Oz, I'd love
to find something similar here in the US. Has anyone seen one like this
here and recall the manufacturer?
I just spent 20 minutes on ebay and came up with nothing. I'll bet they
are rather rare.... ($$$)

Jon

http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Dawn40S_BenchVise.jpg

Very common here in Australia (I thought they'd be common everywhere). I
have a 5" fabricated plate one like this:

http://www.allproducts.com/manufactu...s/product2.jpg

I didn't believe there would be none on ebay - you are right, maybe it is
just an Aussie thing!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Prolly a decade and more back I picked one up from one of the
catalogs; maybe IPS or Rutland? Very well-made; came with a set of varying
length spacers to adjust bottom location.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Currently broke and
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : looking for a job...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 09:21:50 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

[...]

Hey Jon,

Not exactly what you saw for sure, but these will grip vertically.

http://grizzly.com/products/H3302

There are many other suppliers. Google on "parrot vise"

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
While I'd still like to find an offset vise here in the States, I did find
the Dawn website with a range of quality vises, among other tools.
http://www.dawntools.com.au/products...d=1&sub_id=3#6

Interesting to see that replacement parts are available for most of the
vises, including vise body and movable jaw!

Also see that they are distributed by Repco among others. If the Coota
Repco can't order one, I can get one out in Young.

Jon

Dawn tools are very good quality. Their vices will handle being beaten with
a sledge hammer and having 4' of cheater pipe slid over the handle and swung
on. They last a lifetime.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nik Rim wrote:

Very common here in Australia (I thought they'd be common everywhere). I
have a 5" fabricated plate one like this:

http://www.allproducts.com/manufactu...s/product2.jpg

I didn't believe there would be none on ebay - you are right, maybe it is
just an Aussie thing!

Well, rare here in the States perhaps? I don't want to keep slogging
through several hundred vise auctions, but unsure of brand names, it's
better to cast a wide net. Soon as I have a few names, I can narrow my
searches and let Ebay notify me when something comes up.

If I find one in Oz, I'll ask if they'll ship to my eventual home in NSW
and have it waiting there for me!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:

--Prolly a decade and more back I picked one up from one of the
catalogs; maybe IPS or Rutland? Very well-made; came with a set of varying
length spacers to adjust bottom location.

Thanks for the lead. Rutland has a Soba 4" vise. I was searching for
offset or off set, it's listed as 'off center'. So I have another brand
name to run through ebay. As I suspected, they are not exactly cheap,
but it does look well made.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:
[...]

Dawn make great vices , I have been in the engineering game for just
over forty years , every place I have worked had Dawn vices and I've
never seen one broken ,plenty of abused ones and still going strong .
A Dawn vice is the best investment you can make if you are in
engineering , long after you and your children have passed on the vice
will still be working .
The engineers offset vice is a good design and very functional.

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brian Lawson wrote:

Not exactly what you saw for sure, but these will grip vertically.

http://grizzly.com/products/H3302

That's another vise I'd like to add to my collection one of these days.
This is the modern equivalent to the one I saw in the museum:

http://www.dawntools.com.au/products...d=1&sub_id=3#6

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 15:05:15 +0930, "Kevin(Bluey)"
wrote:

Dawn make great vices , I have been in the engineering game for just
over forty years , every place I have worked had Dawn vices and I've
never seen one broken ,plenty of abused ones and still going strong .
A Dawn vice is the best investment you can make if you are in
engineering , long after you and your children have passed on the vice
will still be working .
The engineers offset vice is a good design and very functional.

I have 2 Dawn woodworking vices which I bought abought 1967, they
have outlasted 3 workbenches. Current bench is only 15 years old.
My smallest engineers vice is also a Dawn, probably 30 years old.

Alan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The engineers offset vice is a good design and very functional.

I have 2 Dawn woodworking vices which I bought abought 1967, they
have outlasted 3 workbenches. Current bench is only 15 years old.
My smallest engineers vice is also a Dawn, probably 30 years old.

Alan

Ok, Alan, please help me with the Australian to American translation of
"engineer" - I thought I had you guys figured out when I learned "bunny
duster", but this one has me baffled

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Noble wrote:

The engineers offset vice is a good design and very functional.

I have 2 Dawn woodworking vices which I bought abought 1967, they
have outlasted 3 workbenches. Current bench is only 15 years old.
My smallest engineers vice is also a Dawn, probably 30 years old.

Alan

Ok, Alan, please help me with the Australian to American translation of
"engineer" - I thought I had you guys figured out when I learned "bunny
duster", but this one has me baffled

In this case an "engineers vice" is a vice used for metal working .

The term "engineer" can be used loosely and can mean any qualified
tradesman who works in the metal working industry or similar .
Aircraft Engineer is a fancy term for an aircraft engine mechanic in
some cases ,unless the person can produce the formal qualification of
"Aircraft Engineer" by way of a degree.
Although one needs endorsement for each aircraft type to be able to
carry out maintenance work on aircraft ,so I guess this can qualify as a
formal qualification of a sort.

To use the term "engineer" formally is usually in the context that the
person has completed a University degree in , Mechanical , Hydraulic ,
Civil or Aviation Engineering.

Hope this helps.

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Noble wrote:

The engineers offset vice is a good design and very functional.

I have 2 Dawn woodworking vices which I bought abought 1967, they
have outlasted 3 workbenches. Current bench is only 15 years old.
My smallest engineers vice is also a Dawn, probably 30 years old.

Alan

Ok, Alan, please help me with the Australian to American translation of
"engineer" - I thought I had you guys figured out when I learned "bunny
duster", but this one has me baffled

In this case an "engineers vice" is a vice used for metal working , and
usually bench mounted .

The term "engineer" can be used loosely and can mean any qualified
tradesman who works in the metal working industry or similar .
Aircraft Engineer is a fancy term for an aircraft engine mechanic in
some cases ,unless the person can produce the formal qualification of
"Aircraft Engineer" by way of a degree.
Although one needs endorsement for each aircraft type to be able to
carry out maintenance work on aircraft ,so I guess this can qualify as a
formal qualification of a sort.

To use the term "engineer" formally is usually in the context that the
person has completed a University degree in , Mechanical , Hydraulic ,
Civil or Aviation Engineering.

Hope this helps.

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Clausing 5914 Manual posted to the dropbox Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 5 July 4th 08 04:52 PM
Welding Helmet fan pictures posted on metalworking dropbox. Guy Morin Metalworking 8 January 5th 06 05:20 AM
Help me id this bench vise Jim Geib Metalworking 4 July 28th 05 04:47 AM
Bench vise? Guy LaRochelle Woodworking 3 April 13th 04 08:45 AM
Bench vise Rick Samuel Woodworking 10 February 29th 04 03:04 AM