Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default working with thick lead sheet, helpful advice needed

I am in the process of trying to make a 12"x12" leaded box composed of two
1/8" lead sheets, each 12"x48". The problem I'm having is trying to work
with the sheets. I already had the dimensions of the box and was trying to
bend each part of the sheet in place, but this has proven extremely
difficult. Lead is a lot more inflexible at this thickness than I thought
it would be. Any advice? One option I've been trying to think of is a form
that I could wrap and bang the lead around, but the form would have to be
pretty dense I would think. Looking for the simplest solution here as I'm
already stuck with the sheets and cannot return them (I would naturally have
chosen 1/32" thickness and built up layers if I knew the difficulty I was
going to have).

Thanks in advance,
J. Dobbins

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jason Dobbins" wrote in message
I am in the process of trying to make a 12"x12" leaded box composed of two
1/8" lead sheets, each 12"x48". The problem I'm having is trying to work
with the sheets. I already had the dimensions of the box and was trying to
bend each part of the sheet in place, but this has proven extremely
difficult. Lead is a lot more inflexible at this thickness than I thought
it would be. Any advice? One option I've been trying to think of is a
form that I could wrap and bang the lead around, but the form would have to
be pretty dense I would think. Looking for the simplest solution here as
I'm already stuck with the sheets and cannot return them (I would naturally
have chosen 1/32" thickness and built up layers if I knew the difficulty I
was going to have).

Thanks in advance,
J. Dobbins

shear it square and solder up the edges?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Jason Dobbins" wrote:

I am in the process of trying to make a 12"x12" leaded box composed of two
1/8" lead sheets, each 12"x48". The problem I'm having is trying to work
with the sheets. I already had the dimensions of the box and was trying to
bend each part of the sheet in place, but this has proven extremely
difficult. Lead is a lot more inflexible at this thickness than I thought
it would be. Any advice? One option I've been trying to think of is a form
that I could wrap and bang the lead around, but the form would have to be
pretty dense I would think. Looking for the simplest solution here as I'm
already stuck with the sheets and cannot return them (I would naturally have
chosen 1/32" thickness and built up layers if I knew the difficulty I was
going to have).

Thanks in advance,
J. Dobbins

Wood blocks and a mallet work for me. Got to make all sorts of custom
lead shielding back in my lab-rat days - mostly from 1/8 sheet.

You might also have work-hardened material, where some heat would soften
it up for further (cold) work - but don't melt it. Damned if I can find
a procedure, but try popping it in a 300F oven for a while, or hit it
with a torch briefly along the line where you want to bend it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jason Dobbins wrote:
I am in the process of trying to make a 12"x12" leaded box composed of
two 1/8" lead sheets, each 12"x48". The problem I'm having is trying to
work with the sheets. I already had the dimensions of the box and was
trying to bend each part of the sheet in place, but this has proven
extremely difficult. Lead is a lot more inflexible at this thickness
than I thought it would be. Any advice? One option I've been trying to
think of is a form that I could wrap and bang the lead around, but the
form would have to be pretty dense I would think. Looking for the
simplest solution here as I'm already stuck with the sheets and cannot
return them (I would naturally have chosen 1/32" thickness and built up
layers if I knew the difficulty I was going to have).

Thanks in advance,
J. Dobbins

Make a form out of a chunk of plywood with 2X2 sections for the corner
legs. Attach it to another chunk of plywood. Simple cube.

To make it easier cut the sides so you have leaves that will fold down
and solder the corners together.

To form it use a slapper bar made out of hard wood. You don't hit it
directly but with a semi-glancing blow.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 14:30:31 -0400, Jason Dobbins wrote:

I am in the process of trying to make a 12"x12" leaded box composed of
two 1/8" lead sheets, each 12"x48". The problem I'm having is trying to
work with the sheets. I already had the dimensions of the box and was
trying to bend each part of the sheet in place, but this has proven
extremely difficult. Lead is a lot more inflexible at this thickness
than I thought it would be. Any advice? One option I've been trying to
think of is a form that I could wrap and bang the lead around, but the
form would have to be pretty dense I would think. Looking for the
simplest solution here as I'm already stuck with the sheets and cannot
return them (I would naturally have chosen 1/32" thickness and built up
layers if I knew the difficulty I was going to have).

12"x12" only specifies two of width, length, height.
Which two is it, and how big is the other dimension?
Are you making a box with 5 sides or 6?
If 5, what are the measurements of the open side?
Are you good at soldering sheets of lead together?

--
jiw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 23, 12:30*pm, "Jason Dobbins" wrote:
I am in the process of trying to make a 12"x12" leaded box composed of two
1/8" lead sheets, each 12"x48". *The problem I'm having is trying to work
with the sheets. *I already had the dimensions of the box and was trying to
bend each part of the sheet in place, but this has proven extremely
difficult. *Lead is a lot more inflexible at this thickness than I thought
it would be. *Any advice? *One option I've been trying to think of is a form
that I could wrap and bang the lead around, but the form would have to be
pretty dense I would think. *Looking for the simplest solution here as I'm
already stuck with the sheets and cannot return them (I would naturally have
chosen 1/32" thickness and built up layers if I knew the difficulty I was
going to have).

Thanks in advance,
J. Dobbins

I've seen some plumbers' work at that thickness(chemical sinks and
drains), the work was soldered at the corners, no attempt was made to
bend the stuff at right angles. If you have or can get regular
plumber's soldering coppers and a blowtorch, things will be a lot
easier. It's what granddad used for doing vent flashing.

Otherwise, it's bucks and blocks for bending. Hardwood should work
unless you're going into production. And at that thickness, you
aren't going to get a sharp corner if you bend stuff, allow for
radiusing, probably at least 1/4" radius.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 23, 7:30*pm, "Jason Dobbins" wrote:
I am in the process of trying to make a 12"x12" leaded box composed of two
1/8" lead sheets, each 12"x48". *The problem I'm having is trying to work
with the sheets. *I already had the dimensions of the box and was trying to
bend each part of the sheet in place, but this has proven extremely
difficult. *Lead is a lot more inflexible at this thickness than I thought
it would be. *Any advice? *One option I've been trying to think of is a form
that I could wrap and bang the lead around, but the form would have to be
pretty dense I would think. *Looking for the simplest solution here as I'm
already stuck with the sheets and cannot return them (I would naturally have
chosen 1/32" thickness and built up layers if I knew the difficulty I was
going to have).

Thanks in advance,
J. Dobbins

When all else fails, use a bigger hammer. Actually a rubber mallet
and a scrap piece of 2 by lumber would be my first choice.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bud" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 11:38:41 -0700, "charlie"
wrote:
[...]

Yup. That's how I did it when I decided that I needed a place to hide
my kryptonite.

Are you going after Superman? Or are you "allergic" to the stuff?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 12:41:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

30+ years ago I watched an artist in lead at work. I think he was the
only man left in the area telephone company who could do a lead
covered splice. IIRC he was working lead around 3/16" thick, tube in
sizes from 1" - 8" OD
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"Jason Dobbins" wrote:

[...]

My grandfather used to make lead septic tank liners that way. His only tools
were a hammer or mallet, tin snips, and plumbers blow torch. He built the
sides up with six inch to a foot high strips of sheet lead formed into a
circle. The edges were fused together with the torch. In spite of the big
flame, the seams looked like the welded joint when two pieces of steel are
joined. He was a master craftsman, in fact certified as a Master Lead
Burner, and journeyman plumber. Sadly he passed away when I was 10 years
old, and I was never able to learn his skills.

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 14:18:40 -0500, the infamous James Waldby
scrawled the following:

[...]

If not, he could always trot it down to the local _good_ radiator
repairman who has the tools and skill to do such work. He'd probably
do it cheaply, too, just for the change in pace. Most radiators are
crimped together with tin and plastics nowadays, so he'd better hurry,
while there are still skilled workers available.

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.