Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default working with thick lead sheet, helpful advice needed

Jason Dobbins wrote:
I am in the process of trying to make a 12"x12" leaded box composed of
two 1/8" lead sheets, each 12"x48". The problem I'm having is trying to
work with the sheets. I already had the dimensions of the box and was
trying to bend each part of the sheet in place, but this has proven
extremely difficult. Lead is a lot more inflexible at this thickness
than I thought it would be. Any advice? One option I've been trying to
think of is a form that I could wrap and bang the lead around, but the
form would have to be pretty dense I would think. Looking for the
simplest solution here as I'm already stuck with the sheets and cannot
return them (I would naturally have chosen 1/32" thickness and built up
layers if I knew the difficulty I was going to have).

Thanks in advance,
J. Dobbins

Make a form out of a chunk of plywood with 2X2 sections for the corner
legs. Attach it to another chunk of plywood. Simple cube.

To make it easier cut the sides so you have leaves that will fold down
and solder the corners together.

To form it use a slapper bar made out of hard wood. You don't hit it
directly but with a semi-glancing blow.

--
Steve W.