Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Grinder rebuild update (Joe Gwinn?)

I have replaced the old bearings with new double sealed ones from
McMaster. (made me very glad to have this 12 ton arbor press).

After reassembly, but without any wheels mounted, the grinder runs
very quietly and very smoothly. The shafts do not appear to vibrate at
all. Ie, I can put my finger to the shaft rotating at 3600 RPM, and I
would feel no vibration from it whatsoever. It would feel like pulling
a finger along a flat smooth piece of metal.

However, I if mount those wheels back, they seem to be not
perpendicular to their axis of rotation and make figure eights and
vibrate badly.

I have a feeling that I am not mounting them right.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus19639 wrote:
I have replaced the old bearings with new double sealed ones from
McMaster. (made me very glad to have this 12 ton arbor press).

After reassembly, but without any wheels mounted, the grinder runs
very quietly and very smoothly. The shafts do not appear to vibrate at
all. Ie, I can put my finger to the shaft rotating at 3600 RPM, and I
would feel no vibration from it whatsoever. It would feel like pulling
a finger along a flat smooth piece of metal.

However, I if mount those wheels back, they seem to be not
perpendicular to their axis of rotation and make figure eights and
vibrate badly.

I have a feeling that I am not mounting them right.

The wheels most likely need balancing and trueing up ,even new wheels
need to have this done.
Also make sure they are a good fit on the shaft , you may need to put
bushes in the bore of the wheels to take up any difference between the
wheels and the shaft.Most new wheels come with a stacked set of plastic
bushes .

Make sure that the mounting /clamping washers are the same size
(diameter) each side and that there is some type of paper between the
washer and the wheel . Most wheels have this attached ,it's like
blotting paper.

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus19639 wrote:

I have replaced the old bearings with new double sealed ones from
McMaster. (made me very glad to have this 12 ton arbor press).

After reassembly, but without any wheels mounted, the grinder runs
very quietly and very smoothly. The shafts do not appear to vibrate at
all. Ie, I can put my finger to the shaft rotating at 3600 RPM, and I
would feel no vibration from it whatsoever. It would feel like pulling
a finger along a flat smooth piece of metal.

However, I if mount those wheels back, they seem to be not
perpendicular to their axis of rotation and make figure eights and
vibrate badly.

I have a feeling that I am not mounting them right.

Do the wheels fight tightly on the shaft, so as to force the wheels to
be perpendicular to the shaft? This often requires a sleeve.

Did the unit come with dished washers to clamp the wheels, applying
pressure to the flat sides of the wheels in a ring about 2" or 3" in
diameter? The dished washers need to fit tightly on the shaft. Old
units often come with ill-fitting mongrel hardware.

Some well-lit photos would be nice.

With the hapless Ryobi, which also was smooth if run without wheels, I
ended up making a pair of flanged half-sleeves to ensure that the wheels
ran exactly perpendicular to the shafts, and remained well-centered:

http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/Grindstone_Mounting_Hardware.txt
http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/Grindstone_Mounting_Hardware_1.jpg
http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/Grindstone_Mounting_Hardware_2.jpg

You have the equipment to make such flanges.

Joe Gwinn

Joe Gwinn -- Russian hydroelectric station accident Ignoramus17616 Metalworking 19 November 10th 09 02:35 AM
Air compressor rebuild update BobH[_2_] Metalworking 5 March 10th 09 06:25 AM
Small engine rebuild update. stryped[_2_] Metalworking 75 January 17th 09 03:14 PM
Joe Gwinn Ignoramus31588 Metalworking 2 May 19th 08 05:09 PM
FA ending soon Dumore compound grinder or tool post grinder Richard W. Metalworking 0 September 2nd 05 01:23 AM