Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Air compressor rebuild update

A week or two ago, I posted questions about rebuilding a Wayne 5 HP air
compressor. I have since cleaned it up and gotten it running, and I
don't think it needs to be rebuilt.

It pumps the 60 gallon tank from 20 PSI to 125 PSI in about 4 minutes.
Does that sound reasonable to others?

At this point, all I think it needs is a new overpressure valve since
this one leaks quite a bit.

Thanks,
BobH
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-09, BobH wrote:
A week or two ago, I posted questions about rebuilding a Wayne 5 HP air
compressor. I have since cleaned it up and gotten it running, and I
don't think it needs to be rebuilt.

awesome!

It pumps the 60 gallon tank from 20 PSI to 125 PSI in about 4 minutes.
Does that sound reasonable to others?

Can you try from 0 to 125?

I want to time my compressor, and compare with yours. I will post my
result as soon as I have the info.

At this point, all I think it needs is a new overpressure valve since
this one leaks quite a bit.

Those are cheap and plentiful, about $6 at McMaster-Carr.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 22:44:41 GMT, BobH
wrote:

A week or two ago, I posted questions about rebuilding a Wayne 5 HP air
compressor. I have since cleaned it up and gotten it running, and I
don't think it needs to be rebuilt.

It pumps the 60 gallon tank from 20 PSI to 125 PSI in about 4 minutes.
Does that sound reasonable to others?

Not only reasonable, but farking fantastic.

At this point, all I think it needs is a new overpressure valve since
this one leaks quite a bit.

Thanks,
BobH

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars
exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"
* * * * * * *mariposa rand mair theal
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"BobH" wrote in message
.. .
A week or two ago, I posted questions about rebuilding a Wayne 5 HP air
compressor. I have since cleaned it up and gotten it running, and I don't
think it needs to be rebuilt.

It pumps the 60 gallon tank from 20 PSI to 125 PSI in about 4 minutes.
Does that sound reasonable to others?

That's actually pretty darned good compared to my little 15 year old Cambell
Hausfeld roll around.

At this point, all I think it needs is a new overpressure valve since this
one leaks quite a bit.

Yeah, nothing on the compressor should leak just sitting. I even replace
quick couplers if they leak. On the end of a hose, no big deal, but when I
disconnect everything I want my compressors to hold all of the air I paid
for.

I've been looking for a deal on a big tank one to put in the corner of my
shop, but it hasn't come around yet. I've already got all the pipe to plumb
the shop with.

Thanks,
BobH

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

A week or two ago, I posted questions about rebuilding a Wayne 5 HP air
compressor. I have since cleaned it up and gotten it running, and I
don't think it needs to be rebuilt.

It pumps the 60 gallon tank from 20 PSI to 125 PSI in about 4 minutes.
Does that sound reasonable to others?

Not only reasonable, but farking fantastic.
At this point, all I think it needs is a new overpressure valve since
this one leaks quite a bit.

Thanks,
BobH

Thanks everybody!
BobH

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

BobH writes:

It pumps the 60 gallon tank from 20 PSI to 125 PSI in about 4 minutes.
Does that sound reasonable to others?

60 gal / 7.48 = 8 cu ft.

125 psi - 20 psi = 105 psi = 7.14 atm, times volume of 8 cu ft = 57 cu ft
of free air you pumped in 4 minutes, or 57 cu ft / 4 minutes = 14 CFM. And
roughly 4 CFM at 100 psi is one HP.

So your compressor is cranking something like 3.5 to 4 HP.

Google "air compressor horsepower":

http://www.google.com/search?q=air+c...sor+horsepower

(Bragging rights for the #1 listing are all mine. That's Google cred.)