Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic

Default Air Compressor Starting Update

Thanks to all for your suggestions. The compressor plug is only eight
feet away from the breaker box. Have drained the tank and had the
compressor in the house all day. The motor still will not turn the
flywheel. I feel it just doesn't have the torque required to start.
Could be wrong but maybe one of the two capicators is bad. Does any
body have any links on how to check capicators on electric motors? I
have tried google and can't find what I need.

Vic
Posted to rec.woodworking
P.H. Thorsted

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:05:49 -0500, Vic wrote:

Thanks to all for your suggestions. The compressor plug is only eight
feet away from the breaker box. Have drained the tank and had the
compressor in the house all day. The motor still will not turn the
flywheel. I feel it just doesn't have the torque required to start.
Could be wrong but maybe one of the two capicators is bad. Does any
body have any links on how to check capicators on electric motors? I
have tried google and can't find what I need.

Vic

The capacitors are not that expensive. Get the info from the capactors and
purchase two new capactors. Unless you have the right equipment, you
really can not check them at home. A ohm meter check will only tell if
they are shorted and not if the capactance has changed.

Paul T.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"P.H. Thorsted" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:05:49 -0500, Vic wrote:

Thanks to all for your suggestions. The compressor plug is only eight
feet away from the breaker box. Have drained the tank and had the
compressor in the house all day. The motor still will not turn the
flywheel. I feel it just doesn't have the torque required to start.
Could be wrong but maybe one of the two capicators is bad. Does any
body have any links on how to check capicators on electric motors? I
have tried google and can't find what I need.

Vic

The capacitors are not that expensive. Get the info from the capactors and
purchase two new capactors. Unless you have the right equipment, you
really can not check them at home. A ohm meter check will only tell if
they are shorted and not if the capactance has changed.

Paul T.

True, however a motor repair shop may be able to test them for you. Like
Paul says though, they're cheap. If you have trouble finding a place that
either can or will test them for you, then it's not like you'll be breaking
the bank on a guess. Back in the old days of basic electronics training in
the Air Force we used to charge up a capacitor and short it across the
backside of anyone caught sleeping in class. That was certainly proof that
the capacitor was working, though not a very accurate test of its
capacitance. Not sure I would recommend you bring them up into the bedroom
to make sure they're working...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Schultz

"Vic" wrote in message
Thanks to all for your suggestions. The compressor plug is only eight
feet away from the breaker box. Have drained the tank and had the
compressor in the house all day. The motor still will not turn the
flywheel. I feel it just doesn't have the torque required to start.
Could be wrong but maybe one of the two capicators is bad. Does any
body have any links on how to check capicators on electric motors? I
have tried google and can't find what I need.

Vic

Any chance that centifugal switch is dirty?
or stuck? The one that engages the Cap when the motor is starting

Doug

Posted to rec.woodworking
no(SPAM)vasys

Vic wrote:
Thanks to all for your suggestions. The compressor plug is only eight
feet away from the breaker box. Have drained the tank and had the
compressor in the house all day. The motor still will not turn the
flywheel. I feel it just doesn't have the torque required to start.
Could be wrong but maybe one of the two capicators is bad. Does any
body have any links on how to check capicators on electric motors? I
have tried google and can't find what I need.

Vic

If you have a multi-meter remove the capacitors. Set the meter to the
highest ohms scale. Observe the meter while you connect it to the leads
of the capacitor. The needle should kick up and then slowly return to
near "infinite" as the capacitor charges. If there is no kick the
capacitor is "open". If the reading remains at a low ohms reading the
capacitor is shorted.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bigpole

Jack, to make sure that the capacitor has a charge, reverse the leads
again and the meter should kick.

Ted
no(SPAM)vasys wrote:
Vic wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Be sure to short the leads together before doing this. If the cap has a
charge when you test it, the multimeter is not going to like it.