Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can I install a ceiling?

My detached garage with metal siding has 2x4 trusses spaced 4 feet on
center. Can I install a ceiling or will this be too much weight and
cause sagging/or other problems?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , stryped wrote:
My detached garage with metal siding has 2x4 trusses spaced 4 feet on
center. Can I install a ceiling or will this be too much weight and
cause sagging/or other problems?

If the trusses are spaced 4' on center, you have much greater worries than any
ceiling you might put up there. That's *much* too far apart to adequately
support the *roof*.

Did you mean 2' on center?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article
,
stryped wrote:
My detached garage with metal siding has 2x4 trusses spaced 4 feet on
center. Can I install a ceiling or will this be too much weight and
cause sagging/or other problems?

If the trusses are spaced 4' on center, you have much greater worries than
any
ceiling you might put up there. That's *much* too far apart to adequately
support the *roof*.

Did you mean 2' on center?

Its all in the truss design. My barn has trusses on 10' centers and a 50
#/sq.ft. snow load design. Way plenty to hold a ceiling too,

But knowing this guy, his building will fail with the first heavy wet snow.
maybe he lives where snow don't fall.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
My detached garage with metal siding has 2x4 trusses spaced 4 feet on
center. Can I install a ceiling or will this be too much weight and
cause sagging/or other problems?

If the trusses are spaced 4' on center, you have much greater worries than
any
ceiling you might put up there. That's *much* too far apart to adequately
support the *roof*.

Did you mean 2' on center?

Its all in the truss design. My barn has trusses on 10' centers and a 50
#/sq.ft. snow load design. Way plenty to hold a ceiling too,

So your barn roof is supported by purlins as well?

Pete Keillor

But knowing this guy, his building will fail with the first heavy wet snow.
maybe he lives where snow don't fall.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 15:16:37 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

If the trusses are spaced 4' on center, you have much greater worries
than any ceiling you might put up there. That's *much* too far apart to
adequately support the *roof*.

Did you mean 2' on center?

4' centers are acceptable (at least in Michigan) for a metal roof.
Not so with a wood roof and shingles, they must be 24".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 13, 11:18*am, Yooper wrote:
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 15:16:37 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

If the trusses are spaced 4' on center, you have much greater worries
than any ceiling you might put up there. That's *much* too far apart to
adequately support the *roof*.

Did you mean 2' on center?

*4' centers are acceptable (at least in Michigan) for a metal roof.
*Not so with a wood roof and shingles, they must be 24".

They are 4 foot on center. Metal roof. Walls are 2x4 stick built 2
foot on center studs attached directly to a concrete pad. (I think the
pad is thicker around the perimeter.)

My concern was with 4 foot on center whatever I use for the ceiling
(osb, drywall, foam board, whatever) might sag? Is this true?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

So your barn roof is supported by purlins as well?

yep, 21" centers IIRC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 13, 10:43*am, stryped wrote:
On Oct 13, 11:18*am, Yooper wrote:

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 15:16:37 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

If the trusses are spaced 4' on center, you have much greater worries
than any ceiling you might put up there. That's *much* too far apart to
adequately support the *roof*.

Did you mean 2' on center?

*4' centers are acceptable (at least in Michigan) for a metal roof.
*Not so with a wood roof and shingles, they must be 24".

They are 4 foot on center. Metal roof. Walls are 2x4 stick built 2
foot on center studs attached directly to a concrete pad. (I think the
pad is thicker around the perimeter.)

My concern was with 4 foot on center whatever I use for the ceiling
(osb, drywall, foam board, whatever) might sag? Is this true?

This is where you investigate a suspended ceiling with insulation bats
on the top.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 14, 3:33*am, "DanG" wrote:
29 gauge liner sheets or galvanized "barn tin" *would span the 4'
spacing just fine, and hold insulation if desired. *I would be
confident the trusses could take the load.

While that would work for support, It would constantly drip water
except during the summer months. Even the metal roof will have to have
good venting, but will still sweat.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stryped sez: "My concern was with 4 foot on center whatever I use for the ceiling (osb, drywall,
foam board, whatever) might sag? Is this true?"

I can visualize drywall sagging some. Why not put some 2 x 4 headers in between the trusses?

Bob Swinney