Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Spiticus

Default Ceiling Fan Install

Hello, I would like to install 2 ceiling fans in 2 bedrooms in my
house. Currently there are no electrical outlets in the ceiling so
wiring must be created for these 2 fans. I have attempted to try to get

estimates for what this work would cost from a licensed electrician but

so far, 4 electricians want to charge me a "trip" fee of anywhere from
40$-75$ just to give an estimate. Of course if let them do the work,
the fee is waived. This worrys me as I am clueless about electrical
work and would like to be somewhat prepared and protected against an
electrician taking advantage of me. Can anyone give me a rough,
ballpark example of what I can expect to pay for 2 ceiling fans to be
installed along with the appropriate electrical connections in the
ceiling. I do understand that this is probably not so cheap and I am
more than willing to pay somebody for quality work, however i feel that

i would be more willing to accept a quote knowing it will cost me 40$ -

75$ if i dont like the price. What I am looking for is a base, very
rough, estimate for a normal installation. I understand my situation
could be different than a normal situation, but i'd at least like a
starting point so I dont get taken advantage of.

Thanks!

This could be a mess, they have to tear up the wall and run a lot of
wire from whereever they can get a hot lead, to a switch and to the
ceiling fan location. Not sure on price. It would rightfully cost the
trip fee just to figure it out.

John A. Weeks III

In article . com,
"Spiticus" wrote:

Hello, I would like to install 2 ceiling fans in 2 bedrooms in my
house. Currently there are no electrical outlets in the ceiling so
wiring must be created for these 2 fans.

Do you have access to the space above these rooms from the attic?
If so, the install shouldn't be that hard. What would make it
300% easier is to get fans that use wireless remote controls.
With those fans, all you need is a hot wire, and you don't need
to pull wires down into the walls for switches, and you don't
need to run the 4 conductor wire. All you have to do is fish
a power wire up a wall anywhere into the attic. Then drill
your ceiling holes. Then go upstairs and put in the brackets
for the electrical boxes. Then wire & hang the fans. Connect
up your hot wire, and you are done.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

My answer sure sounds silly now ! Good reply, this also goes for
impossible installs above a stairwell.