Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor Pete Keillor is offline

Default Can I install a ceiling?

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:42:30 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article
,
stryped wrote:
My detached garage with metal siding has 2x4 trusses spaced 4 feet on
center. Can I install a ceiling or will this be too much weight and
cause sagging/or other problems?

If the trusses are spaced 4' on center, you have much greater worries than
any
ceiling you might put up there. That's *much* too far apart to adequately
support the *roof*.

Did you mean 2' on center?

Its all in the truss design. My barn has trusses on 10' centers and a 50
#/sq.ft. snow load design. Way plenty to hold a ceiling too,

So your barn roof is supported by purlins as well?

Pete Keillor

But knowing this guy, his building will fail with the first heavy wet snow.
maybe he lives where snow don't fall.

Karl