Default Can I install a ceiling fan here?

I'm trying to install a ceiling fan in our breakfast nook. I removed
the light fixture it previously had (it's a somewhat heavy ugly pendant
light). The junction box looks different from what I've seen in the
bedrooms. I have installed ceiling fans in all the bedrooms. I
remembered the builder said that we could install fans in all our
bedrooms by removing the ceiling light.

In the breakfast nook after I removed the light, the junction box
looked a bit different from the junction boxes I've seen in bedroom
ceilings. how to figure out whether this one is strong enough to hold a
fan (52" fan, it's a large kitchen and nook). do junction boxes have
any ratings on them that I can look up on the web to see if they can
hold a fan?

Thanks.

RBM

If the box is made to support a fan, it will say so somewhere on the inside
of the box, it will also have 10-32 threaded holes instead of 8-32 which
you'll find on a standard ceiling outlet box
wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm trying to install a ceiling fan in our breakfast nook. I removed
the light fixture it previously had (it's a somewhat heavy ugly pendant
light). The junction box looks different from what I've seen in the
bedrooms. I have installed ceiling fans in all the bedrooms. I
remembered the builder said that we could install fans in all our
bedrooms by removing the ceiling light.

In the breakfast nook after I removed the light, the junction box
looked a bit different from the junction boxes I've seen in bedroom
ceilings. how to figure out whether this one is strong enough to hold a
fan (52" fan, it's a large kitchen and nook). do junction boxes have
any ratings on them that I can look up on the web to see if they can
hold a fan?

Thanks.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm trying to install a ceiling fan in our breakfast nook. I removed
the light fixture it previously had (it's a somewhat heavy ugly pendant
light). The junction box looks different from what I've seen in the
bedrooms. I have installed ceiling fans in all the bedrooms. I
remembered the builder said that we could install fans in all our
bedrooms by removing the ceiling light.

No one here can see it and you don't give any description other than "it is
different". Now, just how good of an answer to you expect?

Colbyt

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm trying to install a ceiling fan in our breakfast nook. I removed
the light fixture it previously had (it's a somewhat heavy ugly pendant
light). The junction box looks different from what I've seen in the
bedrooms. I have installed ceiling fans in all the bedrooms. I
remembered the builder said that we could install fans in all our
bedrooms by removing the ceiling light.

In the breakfast nook after I removed the light, the junction box
looked a bit different from the junction boxes I've seen in bedroom
ceilings. how to figure out whether this one is strong enough to hold a
fan (52" fan, it's a large kitchen and nook). do junction boxes have
any ratings on them that I can look up on the web to see if they can
hold a fan?

Thanks.

Not that I am aware of except for the advice you have already received.

BUT

You can add a fan to any outlet box if you buy the one that has the correct
mounting base. If you can't mount the special base to a joist, you just use
toggle bolts. I have done this many times and never had a problem.

Colbyt