Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How not to install a ceiling fan.

I just put a ceiling fan in my sister's house in her son's bedroom.

If I had it to do over again I would put both the fan and the light on
the switch.

There are not too many times in a bedroom that you need a fan and not
the light.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, you often need the fan at night down here in Slower Lower
Delaware, and NOT the light! Best bet is one of those Hunter radio
control gadgets that allow you to power up the whole mess, then
separtely control lights and fan with a hand controller. I've found
them especially helpful in "after the fact" fan installations in a
couple of houses over the years when all you have is a single switch
for an overhead light, and want to put both a fan and light in place,
without having to redo the wiring, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 2, 1:52 pm, "Terry" wrote:
I just put a ceiling fan in my sister's house in her son's bedroom.

If I had it to do over again I would put both the fan and the light on
the switch.

There are not too many times in a bedroom that you need a fan and not
the light.

Night time comes to mind???

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 11:52 am, "Terry" wrote:
I just put a ceiling fan in my sister's house in her son's bedroom.

Oh, I thought this would be a story like my co-worker's about 10 years
ago. Hung a new ceiling fan in the family room. Comes home from work
the next day, jerks on the chain to start the fan, whole thing comes
down on the glass-top coffee table - crash, bang, boom.

That's how NOT to install a ceiling fan.

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2 Apr 2007 12:52:14 -0700, "
wrote:

On Apr 2, 11:52 am, "Terry" wrote:
I just put a ceiling fan in my sister's house in her son's bedroom.

Oh, I thought this would be a story like my co-worker's about 10 years
ago. Hung a new ceiling fan in the family room. Comes home from work
the next day, jerks on the chain to start the fan, whole thing comes
down on the glass-top coffee table - crash, bang, boom.

That's how NOT to install a ceiling fan.

Jerry

I replaced a fan recently (not mine). The metal box had been removed
from the ceiling. The fan support was then screwed into the fan
support stud. I replaced the box and used the material provided with
the fan.

A box was removed the master ceiling, also. wires were taped and
pushed beyond the drywall. A large eye-bolt was in the fan support
stud. The only thing I could guess was that the eye-bolt was for one
of those sex swings... thingies.. Got me!

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 13:19:12 -0700, Oren wrote:

The only thing I could guess was that the eye-bolt was for one
of those sex swings... thingies..

If you install a sex swing, you should put a light and a fan on it at
the same time. It's much easier than adding it later.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 16:37:39 -0400, mm
wrote:

If you install a sex swing, you should put a light and a fan on it at
the same time. It's much easier than adding it later.

Is that your proven method (G)?

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

If you install a sex swing, you should put a light and a fan on it at
the same time. It's much easier than adding it later.

Is that your proven method (G)?

I read this on a newsgroup. Not sure which one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just put a ceiling fan in my sister's house in her son's bedroom.

If I had it to do over again I would put both the fan and the light on
the switch.

There are not too many times in a bedroom that you need a fan and not
the light.

Considering how it is the same amount of work to run a three wire as a two
wire I don't understand why more people don't do it. I noticed some
electricians don't run a three wire either as the norm. I always run a
three wire whether the customer plans to install a light with the fan or
not. I've noticed that my customers like having two switches and one can be
a dimmer for the light. It also saves wear and tear on the pull chain
switches which seem to fail after a few years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2 Apr 2007 11:52:50 -0700, "Terry" wrote:

I just put a ceiling fan in my sister's house in her son's bedroom.

If I had it to do over again I would put both the fan and the light on
the switch.

There are not too many times in a bedroom that you need a fan and not
the light.

You do here. We have a lot of hot nights. If I just had one wall
switch, I'd use it for the light only and use the pull chain for the
fan.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"
Posted to alt.home.repair

---------

In article om,
professorpaul wrote:
Well, you often need the fan at night down here in Slower Lower
Delaware, and NOT the light! Best bet is one of those Hunter radio
control gadgets that allow you to power up the whole mess, then
separtely control lights and fan with a hand controller. I've found
them especially helpful in "after the fact" fan installations in a
couple of houses over the years when all you have is a single switch
for an overhead light, and want to put both a fan and light in place,
without having to redo the wiring, etc.

I agree with the desirability of running the fan with the light off,
and those RCs are nice too, but what's wrong with the old fashioned
pull chain switches included with most fans?

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Apr 2, 5:15 pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"Terry" wrote in message

oups.com...

I just put a ceiling fan in my sister's house in her son's bedroom.

If I had it to do over again I would put both the fan and the light on
the switch.

There are not too many times in a bedroom that you need a fan and not
the light.

Considering how it is the same amount of work to run a three wire as a two
wire I don't understand why more people don't do it. I noticed some
electricians don't run a three wire either as the norm. I always run a
three wire whether the customer plans to install a light with the fan or
not. I've noticed that my customers like having two switches and one can be
a dimmer for the light. It also saves wear and tear on the pull chain
switches which seem to fail after a few years.

If you're going to do that, I hope you're installing fan rated boxes
as well. You just KNOW that someone's going to see that three wire
cable and just get 'er done without thinking about it.

This is one situation however where "switch legs" are a real job
saver. If the light is wired with a switch leg you can mount a fan
without running a three wire cable if you don't mind using the pull
chain for the fan. Not so easy if it is wired with the power running
to the switch box - you HAVE to run a three wire cable, period,
otherwise it works all funky and ****es people off.

nate