Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cost to install a ceiling fan?

Does anyone know a fair price to install a ceiling fan in a condo that
has no attic access and no light or box currently? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know a fair price to install a ceiling fan in a condo that
has no attic access and no light or box currently? Thanks.

Depends on where the wire has to run. Could be $200 to $500 easily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know a fair price to install a ceiling fan in a condo that
has no attic access and no light or box currently? Thanks.

Depends on where the wire has to run. Could be $200 to $500 easily.

Wow. I had no idea. There is a switch and our outlet within 12' of the
fan location. 4' across to the wall and 8' or so down.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know a fair price to install a ceiling fan in a condo that
has no attic access and no light or box currently? Thanks.

Depends on where the wire has to run. Could be $200 to $500 easily.

You're forgetting the permit, the zoning variance, and the EPA study to make
sure there's no asbestos. With beer, I would guess $1.2 million easy.

STeve

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

I like Ed's assessment. There will be some notches in the wall and ceiling
to route the cable up. A fan brace box can be installed through the ceiling
with no additional damage. As a ball park figure, including the fan
installation, I would get around $325 in NY

wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know a fair price to install a ceiling fan in a condo that
has no attic access and no light or box currently? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Depends on where the wire has to run. Could be $200 to $500 easily.

Wow. I had no idea. There is a switch and our outlet within 12' of the
fan location. 4' across to the wall and 8' or so down.

Getting down 8' is fairly easy. Getting across the 4' can be impossible
depending on how the joists above are run. Making the turn behind the wall
with a plate at the top may be difficult or worse. There are fire stops
inside the wall about half way down.

There is surface mounted wiring systems that may or may not be acceptable to
you, but will definitely be cheaper. Check out a Google search on Wiremold
products.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark

Not sure exactly how a wireless remote would be all that much cheaper. The
work involved in getting the wiring from the source (the wall outlet) to the
ceiling location for the fan will be the same. Cutting a hole and installing
the switch would most likely be fairly straight forward. And even with a
remote, a switch would be a good idea - your only way to control the fan if
you lost the remote would be the chain switch, if it even has one (my Hunter
doesn't).

wrote in message
oups.com...

Phisherman wrote:
On 25 May 2006 13:02:51 -0700, wrote:

Does anyone know a fair price to install a ceiling fan in a condo that
has no attic access and no light or box currently? Thanks.

Might not be cheap. This can easily be a full day job, maybe $500. A
wireless remote control might save you some installation money, but
best to ask the electrician first. Sometimes wiring may involve some
drywall cutting and repair without any attic/basement access.

I was thinking the wireless remote also would be a easier route.
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Mark wrote:
Not sure exactly how a wireless remote would be all that much cheaper. The
work involved in getting the wiring from the source (the wall outlet) to the
ceiling location for the fan will be the same. Cutting a hole and installing
the switch would most likely be fairly straight forward. And even with a
remote, a switch would be a good idea - your only way to control the fan if
you lost the remote would be the chain switch, if it even has one (my Hunter
doesn't).

I had a wireless remote for a time because I thought it'd be more convenient
when laying in bed. Wrong! The remote got weaker with age (fresh batteries
made no difference). It became extremely annoying and ultimately I disabled it
and went back to the original wiring. Now I just use the pull switch on the fan
itself... got myself a longer chain. Works much better.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Posted to alt.home.repair
trbo20

Maybe he should just get a solar wind-powered model.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you use surface conduit or wire chase as some have said, this
project can be done in about a day. Materials cost to install this
project could easily run a couple hundred dollars and a days labour at
your local contractors rates.

If you want to run the wiring in the wall, you will need to be prepared
for drywall repairs and fresh paint. In addition, this project
depending on location of existing power supply could run you two
electricians for a day, but your materials cost would be lower.

Also, since this is a condo, check your strata rules. You may not even
be allowed to make such alterations without permission. And this work
would definitely need to be done by a qualified insured licensed trades
qualified electrician because of safety requirements for all the other
condo owners in the building.

My philosophy on getting work done is to get a minimum of 3 estimates
and review them all carefully. Ask for references and call them. Make
sure that the contractor is insured and licensed for the type of
project being done. And best of luck with your project. A ceiling fan
is a wonderful addition to a home, especially on a warm summers night.

Glen

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Thu, 25 May 2006 20:43:45 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Depends on where the wire has to run. Could be $200 to $500 easily.

Wow. I had no idea. There is a switch and our outlet within 12' of the
fan location. 4' across to the wall and 8' or so down.

Getting down 8' is fairly easy. Getting across the 4' can be impossible
depending on how the joists above are run. Making the turn behind the wall
with a plate at the top may be difficult or worse. There are fire stops
inside the wall about half way down.

There is surface mounted wiring systems that may or may not be acceptable to
you, but will definitely be cheaper. Check out a Google search on Wiremold
products.

I was going to say that too. If you put that in now, you can replace
it later with something inside the ceiling and/or wall.

I'm not a fan of ceiling fans. Have you used them before and know
that you like them? They move the air around, I guess, but they don't
make a breeze. In the summer, they bring the hot air down to where I
am.

I use table fans, and I make them quiet by using either light dimmers
(the kind that come in a little box at the end of a wire) or fan speed
controls that I have mounted in plastic boxes (I haven't seen them
already made.)

A lot of the people here don't approve of my using light dimmers to
control fans but I keep the speed high enough so the fan blade turns,
but not so high enough that I hear it. Been doing it for 23 years.

If there are a lot of people in the room, or you can't stay in one
place, a table fan isn't as good. Personally I don't like the
oscillating fans.