Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mystery little press

Would anyone have an idea what is this press supposed to be for.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Press/

It is a little dull looking because it had some rust on it that I removed.

It looks like a neat device.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus26236 wrote:
Would anyone have an idea what is this press supposed to be for.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Press/

It is a little dull looking because it had some rust on it that I removed.

It looks like a neat device.

Heck of a nut cracker.

(I dunno.)

--Winston

--

I'm still waiting for another sublime, transcendent flash of adequacy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Heck of a nut cracker.

(I dunno.)

Get some cheese cloth and make a one apple at a time cider press.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-09-21, Karl Townsend wrote:

Heck of a nut cracker.

(I dunno.)

Get some cheese cloth and make a one apple at a time cider press.

Those woul dhave to be very small apples, the size of walnuts
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 21, 11:36*am, Ignoramus26236 ignoramus26...@NOSPAM.
26236.invalid wrote:
Would anyone have an idea what is this press supposed to be for.

* * *http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Press/

It is a little dull looking because it had some rust on it that I removed..

It looks like a neat device.

Is the foot on the screw machined to fit the bottom, or is it just a
flat surface?

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

26236.invalid wrote:
Would anyone have an idea what is this press supposed to be for.

? ? ?http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Press/

It is a little dull looking because it had some rust on it that I removed.

It looks like a neat device.

Is the foot on the screw machined to fit the bottom, or is it just a
flat surface?

It is machined to be the OPPOSITE of the bottom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 13:36:24 -0500, Ignoramus26236 wrote:

Would anyone have an idea what is this press supposed to be for.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Press/

It is a little dull looking because it had some rust on it that I removed.

It looks like a neat device.

Send the pix to the "what is it?" guy. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

26236.invalid wrote:
Would anyone have an idea what is this press supposed to be for.

? ? ?http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Press/

It is a little dull looking because it had some rust on it that I removed.

It looks like a neat device.

Is the foot on the screw machined to fit the bottom, or is it just a
flat surface?

It is machined to be the OPPOSITE of the bottom.

I think a nutcracker is correct, probably built by somebody like us.
Try it out and let us know.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

26236.invalid wrote:
Would anyone have an idea what is this press supposed to be for.

? ? ?http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Press/

It is a little dull looking because it had some rust on it that I removed.

It looks like a neat device.

Is the foot on the screw machined to fit the bottom, or is it just a
flat surface?

It is machined to be the OPPOSITE of the bottom.

Interesting! sure would no do much for a production line use.

Try putting a piece of thin aluminum sheet in the press and see what
you get. Don't screw down too tight unless you know there is enough
clearance in the die.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus26236 wrote:
Would anyone have an idea what is this press supposed to be for.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Press/

It is a little dull looking because it had some rust on it that I removed.

It looks like a neat device.

I'd guess it was for embossing a corporate or government
seal on documents. It's lacking the die.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 12:32:32 -0700, Winston wrote:

Ignoramus26236 wrote:
Would anyone have an idea what is this press supposed to be for.
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Press/
It is a little dull looking because it had some rust on it that I
removed. It looks like a neat device.

Heck of a nut cracker.

(I dunno.)

--Winston

It is indeed a nut cracker. I remember seeing the plans in an old copy of
Home Shop Machinist or a similar magazine

WayneJ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 13:36:24 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus26236
scrawled the following:

Would anyone have an idea what is this press supposed to be for.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Press/

It is a little dull looking because it had some rust on it that I removed.

It looks like a neat device.

It's a wine press for a VEEEEEEERY small vineyard, Ig.

--
The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn
are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 15:46:16 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus26236
scrawled the following:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus26236 wrote:
Would anyone have an idea what is this press supposed to be for.
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Press/
It is a little dull looking because it had some rust on it that I
removed. It looks like a neat device.

Heck of a nut cracker.

(I dunno.)

--Winston

It is indeed a nut cracker. I remember seeing the plans in an old copy
of Home Shop Machinist or a similar magazine

nov/dec 2004 hsm by Rudy Kouhoupt
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/arc...p/t-13154.html
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...p/DSC01065.jpg

WooHOO! (Happy Dance)

--Winston

--

I'm still waiting for another sublime, transcendent flash of adequacy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus26236 wrote:
Would anyone have an idea what is this press supposed to be for.
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Press/
It is a little dull looking because it had some rust on it that I
removed. It looks like a neat device.

Heck of a nut cracker.

(I dunno.)

--Winston

It is indeed a nut cracker. I remember seeing the plans in an old copy of
Home Shop Machinist or a similar magazine

nov/dec 2004 hsm by Rudy Kouhoupt
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/arc...p/t-13154.html
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...p/DSC01065.jpg

WooHOO! (Happy Dance)

--Winston

--

I'm still waiting for another sublime, transcendent flash of adequacy.

Sorry to disagree, but I am quite positive that the thing Iggy shows is NOT
the nutcracker - for one, an elderly friend of mine has one lying around,
and it's been lying around since long before 2004 - this item has some other
application and whatever it is, no one has identified it yet - if I had to
guess, I'd say it's for pressing bearings into something, possibly a U
joint, but I'm not sure either

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Noble wrote:

(...)

Sorry to disagree, but I am quite positive that the thing Iggy shows is
NOT the nutcracker - for one, an elderly friend of mine has one lying
around, and it's been lying around since long before 2004 - this item
has some other application and whatever it is, no one has identified it
yet - if I had to guess, I'd say it's for pressing bearings into
something, possibly a U joint, but I'm not sure either

I spoke too soon!

Can you post a picture of your friends item?

--Winston

--

I'm still waiting for another sublime, transcendent flash of adequacy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-09-22, Bill Noble wrote:
Sorry to disagree, but I am quite positive that the thing Iggy shows is NOT
the nutcracker - for one, an elderly friend of mine has one lying around,
and it's been lying around since long before 2004 - this item has some other
application and whatever it is, no one has identified it yet - if I had to
guess, I'd say it's for pressing bearings into something, possibly a U
joint, but I'm not sure either

Bill, the guy who sold me a box with stuff, including this press (for
$3), said it had something to do with bearings, but he did not look
certain.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
Bill Noble wrote:

(...)

Sorry to disagree, but I am quite positive that the thing Iggy shows is
NOT the nutcracker - for one, an elderly friend of mine has one lying
around, and it's been lying around since long before 2004 - this item has
some other application and whatever it is, no one has identified it yet -
if I had to guess, I'd say it's for pressing bearings into something,
possibly a U joint, but I'm not sure either

I spoke too soon!

Can you post a picture of your friends item?

--Winston

--

I could get a picture this weekend, but really, there is no reason - the
item is EXACTLY the item Iggy pictured - exactly - the only difference is

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Noble wrote:

"Winston" wrote in message

(...)

Can you post a picture of your friends item?

--Winston

--

I could get a picture this weekend, but really, there is no reason - the
item is EXACTLY the item Iggy pictured - exactly - the only difference is
that it hasn't been cleaned up. It is definately a production item, not an
HSM item

I was hoping that it had some recognizable logo
or maker stamp useful in tracking it's original
purpose. Thassall.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
Bill Noble wrote:

"Winston" wrote in message

(...)

Can you post a picture of your friends item?

--Winston

--

I could get a picture this weekend, but really, there is no reason - the
item is EXACTLY the item Iggy pictured - exactly - the only difference is
that it hasn't been cleaned up. It is definately a production item, not
an
HSM item

I was hoping that it had some recognizable logo
or maker stamp useful in tracking it's original
purpose. Thassall.

--Winston

I'll try and remember to look this weekend. I don't recall any logos

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 22:57:35 -0700, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

big snip
Sorry to disagree, but I am quite positive that the thing Iggy shows is NOT
the nutcracker - for one, an elderly friend of mine has one lying around,
and it's been lying around since long before 2004 - this item has some other
application and whatever it is, no one has identified it yet - if I had to
guess, I'd say it's for pressing bearings into something, possibly a U
joint, but I'm not sure either

This is an old nut cracker style. Here is a patent to a
similar one from 1935:

http://www.google.com/patents/about?...BAJ&dq=2080478

If I can remember, I'll take a look in my old catalogs for
something similar.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 22:57:35 -0700, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

big snip
Sorry to disagree, but I am quite positive that the thing Iggy shows is
NOT
the nutcracker - for one, an elderly friend of mine has one lying around,
and it's been lying around since long before 2004 - this item has some
other
application and whatever it is, no one has identified it yet - if I had to
guess, I'd say it's for pressing bearings into something, possibly a U
joint, but I'm not sure either

This is an old nut cracker style. Here is a patent to a
similar one from 1935:

http://www.google.com/patents/about?...BAJ&dq=2080478

If I can remember, I'll take a look in my old catalogs for
something similar.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email

I am 100% positive this is not intended for use inside a house - and it is
certainly not a nutcracker:
1. the receptacle in the base is acurately machined with three diameters,
such as would be needed in a bearing press or maybe some kind of gun thing
(shotgun?) - a nutcracker would be more rounded

2. there is no ornamentation of any kind

3. it is made of steel, not brass, not pot metal.

4. the top (movable) part of the press is flat, not curved so it would tend
to eject a nut rather than retaining it.

the fact that Iggy has one and on the left coast my friend has the exact
same and identical item says that it was probably not a shop made tool but
was a production item for a specific purpose that made sense in both cold
and warmer climates. It could be related to coining something, it could be
a button press (maybe, but I don't think so), the one I can inspect is not
greasy, which suggests it is not automotive related -- could it be related
to a farm - for example a pill press for horses or something?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus26236 wrote:
Would anyone have an idea what is this press supposed to be for.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Press/

It is a little dull looking because it had some rust on it that I removed.

It looks like a neat device.

3 things,
1. have you identified the thread type and pitch?
thatas one clue as to when itwas made.
2.I use presses a lot from fly presses of 1 ton to 250 ton hyd preses.
Its a possibility that what you have is only part of the tooling set up
that went with it originally.
3. whats the length of stroke?
for example if you were pressing in a ball bearing race into say a front
hub of an early 1920,s/30,s motorcycle you would need enough head room
for the hub with the machined recess in the press base to register the
bearing.
or if you were pressing a bearing onto a shaft, the bottom recess
locatesthe shaft limit of pressing, then the next one locates the the
bearing,and perhaps the top one locates the housing.
Just a few thoughts.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 19:58:59 -0700, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

snip
I am 100% positive this is not intended for use inside a house - and it is
certainly not a nutcracker:
1. the receptacle in the base is acurately machined with three diameters,
such as would be needed in a bearing press or maybe some kind of gun thing
(shotgun?) - a nutcracker would be more rounded

2. there is no ornamentation of any kind

3. it is made of steel, not brass, not pot metal.

4. the top (movable) part of the press is flat, not curved so it would tend
to eject a nut rather than retaining it.

Iggy already answered this earlier:
===
Is the foot on the screw machined to fit the bottom, or is it just a
flat surface?

It is machined to be the OPPOSITE of the bottom.

===
The way I read that and by looking at the first image it is
cup shaped like the bottom is (shrug).

the fact that Iggy has one and on the left coast my friend has the exact
same and identical item says that it was probably not a shop made tool but
was a production item for a specific purpose that made sense in both cold
and warmer climates. It could be related to coining something, it could be
a button press (maybe, but I don't think so), the one I can inspect is not
greasy, which suggests it is not automotive related -- could it be related
to a farm - for example a pill press for horses or something?

I really not trying to argue with you, just pointing out
that there were old nutcrackers that looked like this. The
thread looks kinda fine though for nut cracking.

For pushing out bearings and such, I don't like the cup
things, especially on the top and bottom...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b