Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ted frater ted frater is offline

Default Mystery little press

Ignoramus26236 wrote:
Would anyone have an idea what is this press supposed to be for.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Press/

It is a little dull looking because it had some rust on it that I removed.

It looks like a neat device.

3 things,
1. have you identified the thread type and pitch?
thatas one clue as to when itwas made.
2.I use presses a lot from fly presses of 1 ton to 250 ton hyd preses.
Its a possibility that what you have is only part of the tooling set up
that went with it originally.
3. whats the length of stroke?
for example if you were pressing in a ball bearing race into say a front
hub of an early 1920,s/30,s motorcycle you would need enough head room
for the hub with the machined recess in the press base to register the
bearing.
or if you were pressing a bearing onto a shaft, the bottom recess
locatesthe shaft limit of pressing, then the next one locates the the
bearing,and perhaps the top one locates the housing.
Just a few thoughts.