Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default K56 motor frame?

What does it mean exactly when a motor has frame specified as K56? It
is a regular foot mount motor, though I am not sure if it has a special
shaft (because presently it is mounted on a machine and the shaft is
inside a VS pulley).

I thought to swap it for a 3 phase motor with a drive, to make it go
slower when necessary. It is on a drill press.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus14955" wrote in message
What does it mean exactly when a motor has frame specified as K56? It
is a regular foot mount motor, though I am not sure if it has a special
shaft (because presently it is mounted on a machine and the shaft is
inside a VS pulley).

I thought to swap it for a 3 phase motor with a drive, to make it go
slower when necessary. It is on a drill press.

Don't trust this, because it's from memory, but a couple of firing synapses
remind me that "K" series motors are cap-start/cap-run. And 56 should refer
to the size.

There ought to be a size/type chart somewhere on the Web that describes it.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 14:40:05 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus14955
scrawled the following:

What does it mean exactly when a motor has frame specified as K56? It
is a regular foot mount motor, though I am not sure if it has a special
shaft (because presently it is mounted on a machine and the shaft is
inside a VS pulley).

I thought to swap it for a 3 phase motor with a drive, to make it go
slower when necessary. It is on a drill press.

Does this help?

https://www.surpluscenter.com/techhelp/nema2.pdf

--
The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn
are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

MikeB wrote:

Ignoramus14955 wrote:
What does it mean exactly when a motor has frame specified as K56? It
is a regular foot mount motor, though I am not sure if it has a special
shaft (because presently it is mounted on a machine and the shaft is
inside a VS pulley).

I thought to swap it for a 3 phase motor with a drive, to make it go
slower when necessary. It is on a drill press.

"model number beginning with K
(i.e., K48 or K56) and will have a run capacitor
mounted on the exterior of the motor"

www.aosmithmotors.com/pdf/brochures/3300.pdf

MikeB

Adding http:// makes it a clickable link.