David F. Eisan

Default Motor Frame Definitions?

Evening all,

In my quest to buy the best new motor for one of my Unisaurs I am trying to
figure out the difference between a Leeson 145 frame motor and a Baldor 184
frame motor. Both companies make specific Unisaw replacement motors, but
each base theirs on a different frame style.

Can anyone tell me the difference between a NEMA 145 and 184 frame?

Is there a web site that shows the differences?

Thanks,

David.

Weldon Wilson

David F. Eisan wrote:

Evening all,

In my quest to buy the best new motor for one of my Unisaurs I am
trying to figure out the difference between a Leeson 145 frame motor
and a Baldor 184 frame motor. Both companies make specific Unisaw
replacement motors, but each base theirs on a different frame style.

Can anyone tell me the difference between a NEMA 145 and 184 frame?

Is there a web site that shows the differences?

Thanks,

David.

If I'm not mistaken, the frame size refers to the physical dimensions
of the motor. I'm sure there are others here who know more about it
than I do.

Here is a chart of NEMA motor sizes/dimensions:
http://www.joliet-equipment.com/nema_frame_chart.htm

And another:
http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.co...frame_info.htm

Weldon
Weldon Wilson

Weldon Wilson wrote:

David F. Eisan wrote:

[...]

This one is good also:
http://www.iprocessmart.com/leeson/l..._reference.htm
Chipper Wood

http://www.conweb.com/tblefile/frame.shtml

--
Chipper Wood

useours, yours won't work

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
Evening all,

In my quest to buy the best new motor for one of my Unisaurs I am trying

figure out the difference between a Leeson 145 frame motor and a Baldor

184
frame motor. Both companies make specific Unisaw replacement motors, but
each base theirs on a different frame style.

Can anyone tell me the difference between a NEMA 145 and 184 frame?

Is there a web site that shows the differences?

Thanks,

David.

Greg O

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
Evening all,

In my quest to buy the best new motor for one of my Unisaurs I am trying

figure out the difference between a Leeson 145 frame motor and a Baldor

184
frame motor. Both companies make specific Unisaw replacement motors, but
each base theirs on a different frame style.

Can anyone tell me the difference between a NEMA 145 and 184 frame?

Other than the obvious size differances you can see with the links others
have posted, consider that the 184 frame motor probably has a larger
diameter rotor, and most likely more torque. Just an assumtion, but I would
bet the 184 frame motor will out pull a 145 frame motor. All that extra
weight has to lead to some benefit!
Greg

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 19:35:24 -0800, "David F. Eisan"
brought forth from the murky depths:

Evening all,

In my quest to buy the best new motor for one of my Unisaurs I am trying

figure out the difference between a Leeson 145 frame motor and a Baldor

184
frame motor. Both companies make specific Unisaw replacement motors, but
each base theirs on a different frame style.

Can anyone tell me the difference between a NEMA 145 and 184 frame?

Is there a web site that shows the differences?

Swing by LVT and pick up one of their Handyman-in-Your-Pocket
reference books. It lists those and a zillion other things.
Very handy $10 special. It covers lumber, fasteners, air/water
specs, motors, welding, tools, rope, carpentry, conversion charts,
weights, measures, etc. Just Do It!
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43513,43556

Murphy was an Optimist
LP

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 06:48:40 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

This is one reference. Google on 'NEMA frame numbers" will turn up
more.

http://www.motorsanddrives.com/cower...ms2_chart.html