Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Let's stick to clean metalworking HERE, please

Why do people post political things on this newsgroup? Is it because
the don't have anything else to say? Don't they know anything about
metalworking, but just feel that they have to type? If so, why don't
they write all that stuff to their congress representatives? What a
waste of time it is for the rest of us.

Do they say such impolite things because they can feel anonymous? Would
they say such things if they were in front of others. Do they count us
other newsgroup members as some sort of inferior beings that can be
mentally beat up at will?

Why do they use foul language? I could see an occasional slip of the
tongue in a heated face to face conversation, but here on the internet,
where you have to type, you have the opportunity to correct yourself
before pushing the "send" button. This must mean the the sender WANTS
to be indentified as someone who has a poor command of the language,
doesn't it? When I was a kid, if they felt that the comic strip
character just HAD to swear, they typed the upper case characters of the
number keys such as "!@#$%^&*". That did the job.

Do we need another newsgroup---- one called "Metalworking after 3 or 4
drinks"?

Pete Stanaitis
--------------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

spaco wrote:
Do we need another newsgroup---- one called "Metalworking after 3 or 4
drinks"?

That is a self-curing disorder. Some days, it's hard enough to set
things up, add some alcohol...

About metalwork, I finally used some small toe clamps that I got off
ebuy, cute ones for 3/8x16, and I was able to hold down a V-block
without having the usual thick strap clamp on the top of the V-block.
That way there's no clamps in the way for machining.

I still lust after some Itbona Model 7000
http://www.itbona.com/itbona-machinetool/Pages/main/ProductsSelect_level4.asp?ProductGroup=1&ProductID =1&ProdDescript=No.+7000+Step+clamp

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gee, that would be nice, but all my metal is dirty.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Why do people post political things on this newsgroup? Is it because

I feel your pain. But moderated NGs aren't the answer either. I frequent one
and OT, spam or even negative comment against a vendor that advertises
there is bounced. The result is no friendly banter and a very dull NG.

Myself, I just don't read all the messages. Wastes way less of my time than
all the spam flooding my email inbox. And not even close to all the annoying
telemarketing phone calls.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 11:35:10 -0500, the infamous Louis Ohland
scrawled the following:

I still lust after some Itbona Model 7000
http://www.itbona.com/itbona-machinetool/Pages/main/ProductsSelect_level4.asp?ProductGroup=1&ProductID =1&ProdDescript=No.+7000+Step+clamp

Sweet!

--
Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority.
ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I think it's pretty elementary, Pete. Smart people talk because they have
something to say. Stupid people talk because they have to say something.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

It's this simple, Pete:

Look where it says Subject:

If it reads something like:

8 ways to have sex with a goat

What would you conclude that article is about?

You have little arrows there on your keyboard, and that little mouse thing
and can avoid all those posts. There is a column on most screens where you
can mark threads if you are not interested in following them. There is
BLOCK SENDER on every computer made.

So, don't walk into a whorehouse and bitch about what you see.

If you want to talk metalworking, just watch the subject line, and read
those regarding metalworking. But don't bitch about what someone else wants
to talk about. It sounds like a new Obama program to clean up newsgroups
and regulate free speech. Unless that is your objective in the first place.

And one last comment,

Do they count us
other newsgroup members as some sort of inferior beings that can be
mentally beat up at will?

If you are so uninformed as to consider yourself inferior, then yes, it
would be best to refrain from conversations where facts are topics du jour.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 13:44:31 -0500, the infamous "Karl Townsend"
scrawled the following:

Why do people post political things on this newsgroup? Is it because

I feel your pain. But moderated NGs aren't the answer either. I frequent one
and OT, spam or even negative comment against a vendor that advertises
there is bounced. The result is no friendly banter and a very dull NG.

Right, they're very slow and dull, but if someone wants to go, more
power to 'em.

Myself, I just don't read all the messages. Wastes way less of my time than
all the spam flooding my email inbox. And not even close to all the annoying
telemarketing phone calls.

I have literally dozens of people and phrases twit-filtered, so I miss
most of the crap. I think I only see 25 or 30% of the total messages
on a given day, and I hit the Ignore button on half of those. It takes
precisely 3 second to add a filter for some asshole who desperately
needs it (mia, hh&c, etc.) so that's not a problem.

--
Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority.
ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to
be good masters, but they mean to be masters. --Daniel Webster
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 3, 9:33*am, spaco wrote:
[...]

Why? Because people will respond to the crap the seagulls post. Their
sole intent is to illicit a response, good or bad, from others with
their **** post. Just like seagulls, they fly in, **** and fly back
out.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
There is NO WAY to justify spam like posts. The just ignore only works so
far before the 'good people' depart the NG. Who needs all that OT s***.

Lots of good people left here. The only ones who have left that I know of
died. All learned that if you want metal answers, you ask metal questions.
If you want to talk politics, you ask political questions.

It's very simple.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
wrote in message
There is NO WAY to justify spam like posts. The just ignore only works so
far before the 'good people' depart the NG. Who needs all that OT s***.

Lots of good people left here. The only ones who have left that I know of
died. All learned that if you want metal answers, you ask metal questions.
If you want to talk politics, you ask political questions.

It's very simple.

Steve

That's actually a little TOO simple, Steve.

Nobody *asks* political questions.

They make political statements.

Which more often that not ends in name calling (or worse).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

spaco wrote:
Why do people post political things on this newsgroup?

Because they get a response from the other idiots who come here to talk
politics.

Well actually it isn't talking about politics, it's more like a back and
forth exchange of politically motivated insults. It is similar to kneejerk
playground banter (I know you are but what am I), but among people who
should have known better a long time ago.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

spaco wrote:
[...]

I dont think we need another metalworking group.
But what we do need is,
1. a change in the setup rules for this group,
2. a moderator who checks every posting thats sent, and any that are
outsidethe group charter get deleted before there posted on line.
It works very well on rec. crafts. jewelry, so it can work here.
Ted
A metal worker in Dorset
UK.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 13:45:25 +0100, the infamous Ted Frater
scrawled the following:

spaco wrote:
[...]

Ted, if you want a moderated group, please go find one and leave us
and RCM alone. 70% of the off-topic chatter would be gone if the
regulars would simply refrain from answer the trolls' posts which come
to the group. But a whole lot of us like the variety of subjects
unrelated to metalworking but related to our lives, and we don't want
that to go away.

Work on the regulars. If they don't answer Cliffy, et al, a _whole_
lot of the crap goes away.

--
It's a great life...once you weaken.
--author James Hogan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ted Frater wrote:

spaco wrote:
[...]

Generally speaking, moderated groups are carp. Unless you have three
shifts of full time moderators, the huge posting delays introduced
destroy all utility of the group.

The simple solution is to use a filter to kill cross posted, .cn, google
groups, etc. and use common sense reading the subject lines.

If you aren't interested in political crap, don't read it. Trying to
complain that it somehow destroys the group is nonsense. Bandwidth
hasn't been an issue for years, you can ignore threads that don't
interest you and it takes virtually no time to read past uninteresting
topics.

A news group is like a bunch of people in a room, there are multiple
conversations going and what some folks are discussing on one side of
the room has no relevance to what is being discussed elsewhere in the
room.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 11:35:10 -0500, Louis Ohland
wrote:

spaco wrote:
Do we need another newsgroup---- one called "Metalworking after 3 or 4
drinks"?

That is a self-curing disorder. Some days, it's hard enough to set
things up, add some alcohol...

About metalwork, I finally used some small toe clamps that I got off
ebuy, cute ones for 3/8x16, and I was able to hold down a V-block
without having the usual thick strap clamp on the top of the V-block.
That way there's no clamps in the way for machining.

I still lust after some Itbona Model 7000
http://www.itbona.com/itbona-machinetool/Pages/main/ProductsSelect_level4.asp?ProductGroup=1&ProductID =1&ProdDescript=No.+7000+Step+clamp

ooooooooo!!! those are WAY COOL!!!

EEEEEEKKKKKK.....gack!! I just went to the pricing page.....dogam!!!

Never mind....they start at $164 EEEEECCCHHHHH!

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 14:41:17 -0600, "SteveB" wrote:

"spaco" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

ooooooo!!! Well said Steve.....very very well said indeed!!!!

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I still lust after some Itbona Model 7000
http://www.itbona.com/itbona-machinetool/Pages/main/ProductsSelect_level4.asp?ProductGroup=1&ProductID =1&ProdDescript=No.+7000+Step+clamp

ooooooooo!!! those are WAY COOL!!!

EEEEEEKKKKKK.....gack!! I just went to the pricing page.....dogam!!!

Never mind....they start at $164 EEEEECCCHHHHH!

Yah, they're very pretty. But I think that I'll suffer with conventional
clamps and traditional oblong toothed packing blocks until I win the lottery
:-)

Mark Rand
RTFM