Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Let's stick to clean metalworking HERE, please

On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 13:45:25 +0100, the infamous Ted Frater
scrawled the following:

spaco wrote:
Why do people post political things on this newsgroup? Is it because
the don't have anything else to say? Don't they know anything about
metalworking, but just feel that they have to type? If so, why don't
they write all that stuff to their congress representatives? What a
waste of time it is for the rest of us.

Do they say such impolite things because they can feel anonymous? Would
they say such things if they were in front of others. Do they count us
other newsgroup members as some sort of inferior beings that can be
mentally beat up at will?

Why do they use foul language? I could see an occasional slip of the
tongue in a heated face to face conversation, but here on the internet,
where you have to type, you have the opportunity to correct yourself
before pushing the "send" button. This must mean the the sender WANTS
to be indentified as someone who has a poor command of the language,
doesn't it? When I was a kid, if they felt that the comic strip
character just HAD to swear, they typed the upper case characters of the
number keys such as "!@#$%^&*". That did the job.

Do we need another newsgroup---- one called "Metalworking after 3 or 4
drinks"?

Pete Stanaitis
--------------

I dont think we need another metalworking group.
But what we do need is,
1. a change in the setup rules for this group,
2. a moderator who checks every posting thats sent, and any that are
outsidethe group charter get deleted before there posted on line.
It works very well on rec. crafts. jewelry, so it can work here.
Ted
A metal worker in Dorset
UK.

Ted, if you want a moderated group, please go find one and leave us
and RCM alone. 70% of the off-topic chatter would be gone if the
regulars would simply refrain from answer the trolls' posts which come
to the group. But a whole lot of us like the variety of subjects
unrelated to metalworking but related to our lives, and we don't want
that to go away.

Work on the regulars. If they don't answer Cliffy, et al, a _whole_
lot of the crap goes away.

--
It's a great life...once you weaken.
--author James Hogan