Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bring a gun have some fun in LV

says...

On Aug 25, 11:04 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message

"azotic" wrote in message
Dedication today for Clark County Shooting Park
The Associated Press

LAS VEGAS-Local and federal officials are scheduled to attend a
ceremony
to mark progress on a $60 million Clark County Shooting Park at the
facility in northwest Las Vegas.
U.S. Sens. Harry Reid and John Ensign, Congresswoman Shelley Berkley
and
Nevada Gov. Jim Gibbons are due to join Clark County Commissioners Rory
Reid and Tom Collins for the 10 a.m. Tuesday dedication at the shooting
range at the northern end of Decatur Boulevard.

A 148-acre first phase is expected to open by December with trap,
skeet,
archery, pistol, rifle and shotgun ranges, plus a pro shop, classrooms
and cafeteria.

The facility is being funded with money raised from the sale of public
lands to pay for parks, trails and natural areas.

If your planning a vacation or just passing thru Las Vegas bring your
guns and enjoy them at the new public range.

FYI Nevada is a open carry state.

Best Regards

Tom

The range was used for 50 cal. BMG competition until the neighbors
squawked. Don't know if that was ever resolved.

Steve

They need lots of practice in Nevada, the most dangerous state in the
country, with a crime rate 24% higher than the national average. Keep
shooting, guys. Your life may depend on it. g

--
Ed Huntress- Hide quoted text -

It's high, Ed, but when did it become # 1?

I think it was around 2004 or 2005.

Those are the CQ Press rankings, based on where a state stands on a variety
of violant crime stats:

"The Safest and Most Dangerous State rankings are determined using rates for
six crime categories -- murder, rape, aggravated assault, burglary, robbery,
and motor vehicle theft -- by calculating a state's position relative to the
national average for each category. Crime categories are weighted equally,
so that state comparisons are based purely on how states performed against
the national average. The weighted, aggregate scores are totaled, and a
state is assigned a final score. The farther below the national average a
state's crime rate is, the safer it ranks; the farther above the national
average, the more dangerous."

The M-Q/CQ Press rankings are used in a range of fields. I've checked them
against the FBI's UCR stats in the past, and they're accurate
representations of what they say they are.

http://www.cqpress.com/product/Crime...ings-2008.html

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jj jj is offline

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

I don't doubt that there is a lot of crime in this state (I've been in
Vegas since 1998) and that it is primarily due to Vegas in the South.
I would speculate that there are also some fairly skewed distributions
aka some quite safe areas and some very, very unsafe areas. So by and
large if you stick to the safe areas, you don't notice. :-)

I lived in Cali and Mass before NV and I like that the gun laws are
"liberal" :-) here. I kick myself for not picking up a $2000 full
auto Vector Uzi about 10 years ago.

Personally I would correlate a high crime rate more to lack of
educational attainment/opportunities rather than "liberal" :-) gun
laws. Look and Finland and Switzerland - lots of guns (admittedly
highly regulated) in the general population yet very low crime. Both
are wealthy, well-educated countries. (I would also assume highly
"mono-racial") Look at Colombia and Peru - very tough gun laws yet
very high crime rates. These countries are not rich, only the upper
class is well-educated (superbly actually) and also have to contend
with the white/black skin thing.

Not surprisingly, NV also ranks pretty low, like 1-3 from the bottom,
in educational rankings as well. Parents will protest if band or
sports gets funding cuts but math/science don't get a peep or a bake
sale.

A closing comment on the gun thing - 10 years ago in Vegas it was not
surprising to see televised news segments of a local newscaster
(female even!) down at the range squeezing off some rounds. Back then
if there was a "child had an accidental discharge with parental gun"
incident the newscaster would say something like "parents be smart and
keep those guns locked up!" and I would cheer *LOUDLY* and send nice
emails to the station. Nowadays it is more "conservative" :-) and not
as pro-gun.

JJ, a gun loving, Obama loving=Palin hating, highly educated
liberalish but actually libertarian leaning (too bad so many
libertarian candidates are loons) guy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jj" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

Right. Like other states with thin populations punctuated by a few large
towns and cities, Nevada's by-county crime rate varies enormously.

I don't recommend downloading this 13 MB, 315-page mess, but if you're
interested (page 24, etc.):

http://nvrepository.state.nv.us/ucr/...imeJustice.pdf

I lived in Cali and Mass before NV and I like that the gun laws are
"liberal" :-) here. I kick myself for not picking up a $2000 full
auto Vector Uzi about 10 years ago.

Personally I would correlate a high crime rate more to lack of
educational attainment/opportunities rather than "liberal" :-) gun
laws.

But that doesn't help with Las Vegas, which has an enormously high violent
crime rate. And there are counties in the South with low crime rates and low
education levels combined with severe poverty.

There's no single correlation. That's what makes it so frustrating to
analyze.

Look and Finland and Switzerland - lots of guns (admittedly
highly regulated) in the general population yet very low crime. Both
are wealthy, well-educated countries. (I would also assume highly
"mono-racial") Look at Colombia and Peru - very tough gun laws yet
very high crime rates. These countries are not rich, only the upper
class is well-educated (superbly actually) and also have to contend
with the white/black skin thing.

Even with the cultural issues, be wary of oversimplifying it. I lived in
Switzerland for a year and I'd attribute it more to social rigidity --
which, of course, does relate to the other things you mention.

Not surprisingly, NV also ranks pretty low, like 1-3 from the bottom,
in educational rankings as well. Parents will protest if band or
sports gets funding cuts but math/science don't get a peep or a bake
sale.

It's a state with very strange demographics. I brought it up mostly as a
jibe, and I didn't expect we'd get into a sociological analysis. d8-)

A closing comment on the gun thing - 10 years ago in Vegas it was not
surprising to see televised news segments of a local newscaster
(female even!) down at the range squeezing off some rounds. Back then
if there was a "child had an accidental discharge with parental gun"
incident the newscaster would say something like "parents be smart and
keep those guns locked up!" and I would cheer *LOUDLY* and send nice
emails to the station. Nowadays it is more "conservative" :-) and not
as pro-gun.

JJ, a gun loving, Obama loving=Palin hating, highly educated
liberalish but actually libertarian leaning (too bad so many
libertarian candidates are loons) guy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jj jj is offline

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Personally I would correlate a high crime rate more to lack of
educational attainment/opportunities rather than "liberal" :-) gun
laws.

But that doesn't help with Las Vegas, which has an enormously high violent
crime rate. And there are counties in the South with low crime rates and low
education levels combined with severe poverty.

There's no single correlation. That's what makes it so frustrating to
analyze.

Yes, the hard problems usually do not have easy answers. I'll also
pull a minor CYA and belabor my wording "correlate a high crime rate
MORE TO..." rather than "due to" above.

I can't help but hold simplistic hope in the belief that with more
rigourous "just the facts Ma'am" education (vs warm fuzzy esteem
building "even though you are oh SO SO wrong" new aged pap) a lot of
our societal ills would evaporate.

I'll also take a poke at the "global warming is a scam" crowd - it's
been my experience that the most vocal people I have personally
witnessed spouting forth do not seem to have a strong grounding in
science and math. This would seem to stack the odds against their
being right. And yes, I realize there have been times when the
scientific establishment was wrong - alas poor Gallileo and the dude
who rather recently proved that ulcers were more bacterial than
emotional.

Ah what a parable that is for the current "death panel" highly charged
emotional unUnited State of Affairs...cough cough
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jj jj is offline

"Ed Huntress" wrote:
I don't recommend downloading this 13 MB, 315-page mess, but if you're
interested (page 24, etc.):
http://nvrepository.state.nv.us/ucr/...imeJustice.pdf

Thanks I'll check this out.

Even with the cultural issues, be wary of oversimplifying it. I lived in
Switzerland for a year and I'd attribute it more to social rigidity --
which, of course, does relate to the other things you mention.

Just before Gulf War Version 1.0 (1990) I visited a relative working
for a bit in Basel and I went to visit for a few weeks. Very
interesting place - what with the German, French and Italian areas and
the very strong social safety net. (back then anyway)

I would assume most Swiss are fluent in at least 2 languages if not 3
or 4. Lol, fine chocolate is brain food. Hey life is good when your
government has "cuckoo clock" panels and every high school graduate
must hand build a clock with at least 10% (by weight) parts made of
gold.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jj" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:
I don't recommend downloading this 13 MB, 315-page mess, but if you're
interested (page 24, etc.):
http://nvrepository.state.nv.us/ucr/...imeJustice.pdf

Thanks I'll check this out.

Even with the cultural issues, be wary of oversimplifying it. I lived in
Switzerland for a year and I'd attribute it more to social rigidity --
which, of course, does relate to the other things you mention.

Just before Gulf War Version 1.0 (1990) I visited a relative working
for a bit in Basel and I went to visit for a few weeks. Very
interesting place - what with the German, French and Italian areas and
the very strong social safety net. (back then anyway)

I would assume most Swiss are fluent in at least 2 languages if not 3
or 4.

Yes, but they're a little like French Canadians. They speak another
language, but they won't admit it unless their life is at stake. d8-)

Lol, fine chocolate is brain food. Hey life is good when your
government has "cuckoo clock" panels and every high school graduate
must hand build a clock with at least 10% (by weight) parts made of
gold.

I wasn't aware of that. I was studying politics, but some of the cultural
stuff -- particularly in German Switzerland (I was in the French part)
escaped me.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jj jj is offline

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Lol, fine chocolate is brain food. Hey life is good when your
government has "cuckoo clock" panels and every high school graduate
must hand build a clock with at least 10% (by weight) parts made of
gold.

I wasn't aware of that. I was studying politics, but some of the cultural
stuff -- particularly in German Switzerland (I was in the French part)
escaped me.

Hey we both forgot to include :-) or wink for these bits right? :-)
wink

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jj" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Lol, fine chocolate is brain food. Hey life is good when your
government has "cuckoo clock" panels and every high school graduate
must hand build a clock with at least 10% (by weight) parts made of
gold.

I wasn't aware of that. I was studying politics, but some of the cultural
stuff -- particularly in German Switzerland (I was in the French part)
escaped me.

Hey we both forgot to include :-) or wink for these bits right? :-)
wink

sigh It's the engineering blood in me. Sometimes I'm sooooo literal. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 22:31:26 GMT, (jj)
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 05:00:33 GMT,
(jj)
wrote:
JJ, a gun loving, Obama loving=Palin hating, highly educated
liberalish but actually libertarian leaning (too bad so many
libertarian candidates are loons) guy.

Yet your beloved Obama wants to take your guns and Palin wants you to
keep and bear your guns.

You are welcome to your opinion. Sorry but the evidence to date
indicates to me that the gun grabbers have learned the error of their
ways. Much of that is due to the "death panel/birther" types but a
fair amount of that is also due to we "so called liberal" types who
let our politicians know more gun laws won't work. Of course we will
have to keep the pressure up because those folks "forget." :-)

They havent forgotten in 60 yrs or more..what makes you think that they
will permanantly forget? Other than a bullet in their skulls?

Lots of gun folks in S. Nevada owe many thanks to the hard work (over
many years) by those who worked in the system and got our new public
gun range built.

Yes..and?

Make up your mind. You cant have both.

I'll definitely take Obama and should he pull "a big surprise" then
I'll bury my thundersticks "someplace." Obama's positives definitely
outweigh his negatives. Palin's positives are worth less than Obama's
negatives.

Buried guns are impossible to use when needed and take a significant
amount of time to clear the bad guys from your domicile.

Besides in a decade or so "Federal" body armor will improve to the
point that you need either a .50 cal BMG or a "phased plasma rifle in
the 40-watt range" when the "black helicopters" drop by. :-)

So you want to actually give them time to develop such good body armor?

You do understand that you have the appearence of a mindless hypocrit,
do you not?

We can have gun rights, or not. We cannot have both.

Choose, and choose wisely.

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jj jj is offline

Gunner Asch wrote:

Besides in a decade or so "Federal" body armor will improve to the
point that you need either a .50 cal BMG or a "phased plasma rifle in
the 40-watt range" when the "black helicopters" drop by. :-)

So you want to actually give them time to develop such good body armor?

I was actually making fun of you with that paragraph. (the plasma
rifle line was from the gun store scene in the first Terminator movie)
Butt since you decided to take it seriously...So what are you going to
do about it? Take down a government or hitech company R&D lab and try
to kill some researchers? (like in Terminator 2?)

You do understand that you have the appearence of a mindless hypocrit,
do you not?

Lol, if you say so...I thought I was both correct and realistic.

We can have gun rights, or not. We cannot have both.

What an obvious tautology. So what are you doing to make California a
more gun friendly state? I'd say you're doing a pretty **** poor job.
How'd you let that .50 cal ban pass Gunner?

And what exactly are gun rights? Strictly speaking, since all of my
guns were legally purchased, the gov has a paper trail to every gun I
own. If the gov really goes *fully* and 100% no guns at all, their
paper trail is complete (this could be iffy) and they send a competent
armed team to confiscate, I am toast. Not that I constantly
mull/fantasize how I'll defend the casa but hey it's a sheet rock wood
frame structure and no I have not retrofitted 1.5" steel plate panels
(finally some on topic metal content!!! :-) or fiber reinforced
ballistic mats.

Now you probably have nightly wet dreams about how you, all by your
lonesomes, defend your hq and defeat 21 black masked jackbooted thugs
just like in the movies. Well maybe you get some help from a wonder
pooch and I wouldn't put it past you to have some rather rowdy
perimeter defenses. But as John Carroll pointed out, what good are
small arms against medium and heavy?

Choose, and choose wisely.

I have. I never voted for Dubya and I won't for Palin. I also own
HK.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 02:04:42 GMT, (jj)
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Besides in a decade or so "Federal" body armor will improve to the
point that you need either a .50 cal BMG or a "phased plasma rifle in
the 40-watt range" when the "black helicopters" drop by. :-)

So you want to actually give them time to develop such good body armor?

I was actually making fun of you with that paragraph. (the plasma
rifle line was from the gun store scene in the first Terminator movie)
Butt since you decided to take it seriously...So what are you going to
do about it? Take down a government or hitech company R&D lab and try
to kill some researchers? (like in Terminator 2?)

I was reading your buffoonery and paid no attention to the plasma rifle,
but to the bullet proof vest. If plasma rifles are invented...it wont be
long before Citizens copy them and build them. At which point bullet
proof vests become nothing more than a thermal wrapping best left at
home.

You do understand that you have the appearence of a mindless hypocrit,
do you not?

Lol, if you say so...I thought I was both correct and realistic.

No, you were not.

We can have gun rights, or not. We cannot have both.

What an obvious tautology. So what are you doing to make California a
more gun friendly state? I'd say you're doing a pretty **** poor job.
How'd you let that .50 cal ban pass Gunner?

I live in a nice friendly Conservative Red County..among other Red
Countys here in the Central Valley. In fact..most of the rural
California is Red. But then.. you did know that..right?

And what exactly are gun rights? Strictly speaking, since all of my
guns were legally purchased, the gov has a paper trail to every gun I
own. If the gov really goes *fully* and 100% no guns at all, their
paper trail is complete (this could be iffy) and they send a competent
armed team to confiscate, I am toast. Not that I constantly
mull/fantasize how I'll defend the casa but hey it's a sheet rock wood
frame structure and no I have not retrofitted 1.5" steel plate panels
(finally some on topic metal content!!! :-) or fiber reinforced
ballistic mats.

You actually bought every firearm on the books? Blink blink...blink.
Now that was stupid as hell. Particularly in California.

In my neck of the woods..desert actually...we can and Will defend each
other if the bubble busts. If they are shooting up my place...the
neighbors will be shooting them in the back. Shrug....but hey...its a
Red County..with lots and lots of CCWs. LA county..with its 9 million
people...doesnt issue them. Period.

Now you probably have nightly wet dreams about how you, all by your
lonesomes, defend your hq and defeat 21 black masked jackbooted thugs
just like in the movies. Well maybe you get some help from a wonder
pooch and I wouldn't put it past you to have some rather rowdy
perimeter defenses. But as John Carroll pointed out, what good are
small arms against medium and heavy?

What makes you believe that Id be alone in defending my homestead? This
is Red country..and we tend to take care of each other. We only had one
drive by shooting here, about 10 yrs ago. And the kids never made it out
of the cul de sac. They were shot to **** by everyone in the
neighborhood.

Medium and Heavy arms? They are going to be bringing in Arty on my
home? Thats gonna be really neat for the neighbors to discover, no? Or
simply bring in a flight of A10s and take out my entire section of town?

Again...that would of course be a rather painful mistake for whatever
knucklehead came up with that idea. He of course would not live all that
long..shrug. There are 6 active Militia groups in the county. 2 are
small white supremist groups..nut cases and will be killed off the
moment they step over the line. The other 4 are rather large, active and
largely retired or ex military. Some large percentage are currently
reserves etc. Shrug. One imagines that the word would get around
before the miltary/FBI did.

As far as Im concerned..Im just a harmless lovable fuzzball, and they
can come in (with a warrant) and check the homestead as they like. But
there are others living here...that are a bit less tolerant. And we all
remember Waco, Ruby Ridge etc...and that a bunch of locals was on the
road when Ruby Ridge was over.

Those folks are still at hand, a little older, a little grayer, a little
more ****ed off at the Government..shrug

We are going to be living in Interesting Times in a very few years.

Im glad Im alive to see the events that will change the history of
America come about.

Choose, and choose wisely.

I have. I never voted for Dubya and I won't for Palin. I also own
HK.

Good for you laddy. Make sure your ammo quantities are large..and you
have spare weapons for friends and family. I suspect you are going to
be needing them in less than 3 yrs. I hope Im
wrong..really..but..shrug...If Im not...

Gunner Asch

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

....most likely they'll be shooting EACH OTHER in the back, but who can tell
who is who after a case of beer, anyway?...

Shrug....but hey...its a
Red County..with lots and lots of CCWs.

Shrug...4,300 out of an adult population of 528,000 -- less than 1% of
adults. Fer Chrissake, Gunner, Connecticut has about four times the rate of
CCWs as Kern County. For a red county, you're dragging your feet behind the
Eastern Liberals!

LA county..with its 9 million
people...doesnt issue them. Period.

But they have plenty of guns, anyway. g

[...]

Interesting Times is a new trailer park in one of Taft's cheaper suburbs,
with drive-by cops, open-air schools and no electricity.

Im glad Im alive to see the events that will change the history of
America come about.

So am I Gunner. So am I.

--
Ed Huntress