Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Large surface grinder-craigslist

I don't have any interest in this grinder but when I saw
the price and photo I knew I had to post it.

Large Surface Grinder - $250 (Chico) (California)

Date: 2009-08-19, 8:47PM PDT
Reply to: [Errors when replying
to ads?]

This is a large Landis surface grinder with a 12" wheel and a 6" x 18"
magnetic chuck in good condition for only $250. Please call KARL at
895-3838 extension #48 between the hours of 6:00 am and 2:30 pm,
Monday thru Thursday.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

a little bit north, (glendale) we have
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...332528082.html

"rigger" wrote in message
I don't have any interest in this grinder but when I saw
the price and photo I knew I had to post it.

Large Surface Grinder - $250 (Chico) (California)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-08-21, Bill Noble wrote:
a little bit north, (glendale) we have
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...332528082.html

Surface grinder market is not what it used to be.

I was at a factory recently, and the owner was begging me to take a
Boyar-Shultz surface grinder for $100, but I had to decline as my
truck was full.

"rigger" wrote in message
I don't have any interest in this grinder but when I saw
the price and photo I knew I had to post it.

Large Surface Grinder - $250 (Chico) (California)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Date: 2009-08-19, 8:47PM PDT
Reply to: [Errors when replying
to ads?]

This is a large Landis surface grinder with a 12" wheel and a 6" x 18"
magnetic chuck in good condition for only $250. Please call KARL at
895-3838 extension #48 between the hours of 6:00 am and 2:30 pm,
Monday thru Thursday.

I remember the days when no one had surface grinders. My dad shaved the
heads of maybe 60% of the V8-60 racecar engines west of the Mississippi. He
made a gig that screwed into the sparkplug holes and he could chuck up the
head. Racers sent him lots of heads. When Flycutters came out, that
business quickly died.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Date: 2009-08-19, 8:47PM PDT
Reply to: [Errors when replying
to ads?]

This is a large Landis surface grinder with a 12" wheel and a 6" x 18"
magnetic chuck in good condition for only $250. Please call KARL at
895-3838 extension #48 between the hours of 6:00 am and 2:30 pm,
Monday thru Thursday

Surface grinders aren't worth crap I've been trying to sell an 8 x 24
for $400 and it will not sell, the chuck is worth $600. I'm going to
cut it up for scrap and just save the chuck.

I did buy an absolutely beautiful Brown and Sharpe Techmaster 8 x24
for $2000 about a year ago. So low prices can be good too.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Landis made various surface grinders..but based on the info..it sounds
far more like an OD grinder. Which Landis made their name on. Good stuff
Maynard.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.

Date: 2009-08-19, 8:47PM PDT
[...]

per the picture its a surface grinder, looks like a hand cranked model
to me.

http://chico.craigslist.org/tls/1332333889.html

Date: 2009-08-19, 8:47PM PDT
[...]

That indeed IS a surface grinder.

One sees far more Landis OD grinders than Surface Grinders. I almost
brought one home from the factory I just tore down...but didnt have a
truck big enough to move it.

http://www.usedequip.com/q/showdlist...03000,10140591

An example...shrug

Date: 2009-08-19, 8:47PM PDT
[...]

Heck, 16,000 pounds of scrap at only 10 cents a pound would make a nice
profit. 25 cents would make a really nice profit.

Date: 2009-08-19, 8:47PM PDT
[...]

In california..they are paying .30 per pound in some places.

8 tons does require some special handling techniques though.

Date: 2009-08-19, 8:47PM PDT
[...]

Not really, just a bigger truck than I have. But I could tow the trailer
with it.

Date: 2009-08-19, 8:47PM PDT
[...]

So you would simply stick a dolly under it and move it out to the
trailer?

Date: 2009-08-19, 8:47PM PDT
Reply to: [Errors when
[...]

Furniture dolly. :) Or a bunch of Det cord to cut it up. May not work,
but would be fun.