Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Making a press plate

I wanted to make a round press plate, for a 12 ton press, how thick
should it be. Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus8090 wrote:
I wanted to make a round press plate, for a 12 ton press, how thick
should it be. Thanks

3/32"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus8090" wrote in message
I wanted to make a round press plate, for a 12 ton press, how thick
should it be. Thanks

I would say 3/4", but it depends on what is has to bridge.

My press is about 6.5" between beams, and I usually start with two,
10"x3"x1.25" cross bars.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-08-13, Tim wrote:

"Ignoramus8090" wrote in message
I wanted to make a round press plate, for a 12 ton press, how thick
should it be. Thanks

I would say 3/4", but it depends on what is has to bridge.

About 6 inches.

My press is about 6.5" between beams, and I usually start with two,
10"x3"x1.25" cross bars.

OK, good to hear, at least I have that sort of size plates (3/4 a bit
more), I do not need thicker size. Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Most of the plates supplied with the import 12 ton presses are 1".
Probably overkill for 6" bridging unless you have two plates to press
bearings.

Ignoramus8090 wrote:
I wanted to make a round press plate, for a 12 ton press, how thick
should it be. Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-08-13, Tim wrote:

"Ignoramus8090" wrote in message
I wanted to make a round press plate, for a 12 ton press, how thick
should it be. Thanks

I would say 3/4", but it depends on what is has to bridge.

About 6 inches.

My press is about 6.5" between beams, and I usually start with two,
10"x3"x1.25" cross bars.

OK, good to hear, at least I have that sort of size plates (3/4 a bit
more), I do not need thicker size. Thanks

I would suggest a double plate. If you lay my bars together one way, they
leave a 1.5" round hole in the middle. If you switch them, they leave a 3"
hole in the middle.

Btw, my press is a 12 ton also.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

m...
On 2009-08-13, Tim wrote:

"Ignoramus8090" wrote in message
I wanted to make a round press plate, for a 12 ton press, how thick
should it be. Thanks

I would say 3/4", but it depends on what is has to bridge.

About 6 inches.

My press is about 6.5" between beams, and I usually start with two,
10"x3"x1.25" cross bars.

OK, good to hear, at least I have that sort of size plates (3/4 a bit
more), I do not need thicker size. Thanks

I would suggest a double plate. If you lay my bars together one way, they
leave a 1.5" round hole in the middle. If you switch them, they leave a 3"
hole in the middle.

Btw, my press is a 12 ton also.

I think there's some ambiguity in the original post. I believe Iggy is
talking about the rotating plate for an arbor press. The disc on my
Greenerd #3-1/2 is about 11" dia x 1-3/4" thick.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-08-14, Ned Simmons wrote:
I think there's some ambiguity in the original post. I believe Iggy is
talking about the rotating plate for an arbor press. The disc on my
Greenerd #3-1/2 is about 11" dia x 1-3/4" thick.

Yes, that's what I am talking about.

I have a 3/4" thick plate that I can use for most projects, and two
1.5" bars, it should probably suffice. I would need to cut this 3/4"
plate in several pieces and need to make some openings in this 3/4
plate.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 13, 4:15 pm, Ignoramus8090
On 2009-08-13, Tim wrote:

"Ignoramus8090" wrote in message
I wanted to make a round press plate, for a 12 ton press, how thick
should it be. Thanks

I would say 3/4", but it depends on what is has to bridge.

About 6 inches.

My press is about 6.5" between beams, and I usually start with two,
10"x3"x1.25" cross bars.

OK, good to hear, at least I have that sort of size plates (3/4 a bit
more), I do not need thicker size. Thanks

I used beam boy to run some numbers, for a 1 inch thick, 12 inch wide
plate that spans the 6 inch gap, using 24000 lb load, the max bending
stress is 18ksi, typical hot roll should be good for 36ksi, and the
deflection is just under 10 thou inch.
For a .75 inch plate, max bending stress is 32ksi, and deflection of
0.022 inch.

ignator
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-08-14, Ned Simmons wrote:
I think there's some ambiguity in the original post. I believe Iggy is
talking about the rotating plate for an arbor press. The disc on my
Greenerd #3-1/2 is about 11" dia x 1-3/4" thick.

Yes, that's what I am talking about.

I have a 3/4" thick plate that I can use for most projects, and two
1.5" bars, it should probably suffice. I would need to cut this 3/4"
plate in several pieces and need to make some openings in this 3/4
plate.

A 12 ton arbor press must be an absolute monster. Where are the
pictures Iggy? You are the best one in the group for posting pictures
you have to have posted this.

CarlBoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

m...
On 2009-08-14, Ned Simmons wrote:
I think there's some ambiguity in the original post. I believe Iggy is
talking about the rotating plate for an arbor press. The disc on my
Greenerd #3-1/2 is about 11" dia x 1-3/4" thick.

Yes, that's what I am talking about. I have a 3/4" thick plate that I can
use for most projects, and two
1.5" bars, it should probably suffice. I would need to cut this 3/4"
plate in several pieces and need to make some openings in this 3/4
plate.

A 12 ton arbor press must be an absolute monster. Where are the pictures
Iggy? You are the best one in the group for posting pictures you have to
have posted this.

Same here. I thought most arbor presses were in the 3 to 4 ton range.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-08-14, Ned Simmons wrote:
I think there's some ambiguity in the original post. I believe Iggy is
talking about the rotating plate for an arbor press. The disc on my
Greenerd #3-1/2 is about 11" dia x 1-3/4" thick.

Yes, that's what I am talking about.

I have a 3/4" thick plate that I can use for most projects, and two
1.5" bars, it should probably suffice. I would need to cut this 3/4"
plate in several pieces and need to make some openings in this 3/4
plate.

A 12 ton arbor press must be an absolute monster. Where are the
pictures Iggy? You are the best one in the group for posting pictures
you have to have posted this.

It is an absolute monster. Weighs 600 lbs or more.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...C-Arbor-Press/

I put a little bit of a comment on that webpage to describe gthis
press better, and mention what I have done to it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 21:35:05 -0400, Ned Simmons wrote:

om...
On 2009-08-13, Tim wrote:

"Ignoramus8090" wrote in message
I wanted to make a round press plate, for a 12 ton press, how thick
should it be. Thanks

I would say 3/4", but it depends on what is has to bridge.

About 6 inches.

My press is about 6.5" between beams, and I usually start with two,
10"x3"x1.25" cross bars.

OK, good to hear, at least I have that sort of size plates (3/4 a bit
more), I do not need thicker size. Thanks

I would suggest a double plate. If you lay my bars together one way, they
leave a 1.5" round hole in the middle. If you switch them, they leave a 3"
hole in the middle.

Btw, my press is a 12 ton also.

I think there's some ambiguity in the original post. I believe Iggy is
talking about the rotating plate for an arbor press. The disc on my
Greenerd #3-1/2 is about 11" dia x 1-3/4" thick.

And its cast iron. Steel can be thinner

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith
becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact
equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man
because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the
person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...
There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag,
the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the
English language.. and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people.'
Theodore Ro osevelt 1907
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 06:27:18 -0400, CarlBoyd

On 2009-08-14, Ned Simmons wrote:
I think there's some ambiguity in the original post. I believe Iggy is
talking about the rotating plate for an arbor press. The disc on my
Greenerd #3-1/2 is about 11" dia x 1-3/4" thick.

Yes, that's what I am talking about.

I have a 3/4" thick plate that I can use for most projects, and two
1.5" bars, it should probably suffice. I would need to cut this 3/4"
plate in several pieces and need to make some openings in this 3/4
plate.

A 12 ton arbor press must be an absolute monster. Where are the
pictures Iggy? You are the best one in the group for posting pictures
you have to have posted this.

CarlBoyd

Ive got (2) 15 tonners. They are only about 24" tall....

The handles...now they are pretty long.....long enough that they damned
near reach the ground below the bench.....
'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith
becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact
equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man
because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the
person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...
There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag,
the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the
English language.. and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people.'
Theodore Ro osevelt 1907
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Iggy,
3/4 with a 6" span is good for about 3-4 tons without deflection. I use 2" for my 60 ton. I would use at least 1", perhaps 1.125.
Drill a 2 in hole in the middle. Very useful.
Steve