Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ignator ignator is offline

Default Making a press plate

On Aug 13, 4:15 pm, Ignoramus8090
wrote:
On 2009-08-13, Tim wrote:

"Ignoramus8090" wrote in message
I wanted to make a round press plate, for a 12 ton press, how thick
should it be. Thanks

I would say 3/4", but it depends on what is has to bridge.

About 6 inches.

My press is about 6.5" between beams, and I usually start with two,
10"x3"x1.25" cross bars.

OK, good to hear, at least I have that sort of size plates (3/4 a bit
more), I do not need thicker size. Thanks

I used beam boy to run some numbers, for a 1 inch thick, 12 inch wide
plate that spans the 6 inch gap, using 24000 lb load, the max bending
stress is 18ksi, typical hot roll should be good for 36ksi, and the
deflection is just under 10 thou inch.
For a .75 inch plate, max bending stress is 32ksi, and deflection of
0.022 inch.

ignator