Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default underground gate valve

Had a totally awful terrible day. Irrigation system sprung a small leak two
days ago. Kinda large yesterday. huge today, had to shut down.

Got to dig in soupy mud all day. Some thin enough to run off the shovel,
other sticky enough it wouldn't come off the shovel without banging on a
rock. Sump pump quit, portable generator quit. Finally got hole dug out by
7:00 P.M.

I hope I can get the parts tomorrow, I'll be lucky.

Anyway, I'm looking for a better drain valve. it can be from 1/2 to 1 1/4
NPT gate valve for underground use. I find the hardware store valves get
stiff and then I break the handle off. I'm reaching four feet down with a
fork to turn valve. I'm wondering about an entrance service valve for
residential water in the city. Know where to get this or something similar?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
Had a totally awful terrible day. Irrigation system sprung a small leak
two days ago. Kinda large yesterday. huge today, had to shut down.

Got to dig in soupy mud all day. Some thin enough to run off the shovel,
other sticky enough it wouldn't come off the shovel without banging on a
rock. Sump pump quit, portable generator quit. Finally got hole dug out by
7:00 P.M.

I hope I can get the parts tomorrow, I'll be lucky.

Anyway, I'm looking for a better drain valve. it can be from 1/2 to 1 1/4
NPT gate valve for underground use. I find the hardware store valves get
stiff and then I break the handle off. I'm reaching four feet down with a
fork to turn valve. I'm wondering about an entrance service valve for
residential water in the city. Know where to get this or something
similar?

A big commercial plumbing supplier should have them, especially an outfit
that supplies water authorities, etc..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 23, 8:52*pm, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
Had a totally awful terrible day. Irrigation system sprung a small leak two
days ago. Kinda large yesterday. huge today, had to shut down.

Got to dig in *soupy mud all day. Some thin enough to run off the shovel,
other sticky enough it wouldn't come off the shovel without banging on a
rock. Sump pump quit, portable generator quit. Finally got hole dug out by
7:00 P.M.

I hope I can get the parts tomorrow, I'll be lucky.

Anyway, I'm looking for a better drain valve. it can be from 1/2 to 1 1/4
NPT gate valve for underground use. I find the hardware store valves get
stiff and then I break the handle off. I'm reaching four feet down with a
fork to turn valve. I'm wondering about an entrance service valve for
residential water in the city. Know where to get this or something similar?

http://www.irrigationparts.com/produ...er_valves.aspx

HTH
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.irrigationparts.com/produ...er_valves.aspx

HTH

Thanks for the link but the ones they have are what hasn't been working for
me.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...

http://www.irrigationparts.com/produ...er_valves.aspx

HTH

Thanks for the link but the ones they have are what hasn't been working
for me.

Karl

Sounds like you could use a curb stop: (unless you absolutely need a gate
valve)

http://www.aymcdonald.com/products_c...=Water&catID=3

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sounds like you could use a curb stop: (unless you absolutely need a gate
valve)

http://www.aymcdonald.com/products_c...=Water&catID=3

Not too sure about a ball valve. I know when you get dirt in one, they get
impossible to turn.

Say, I looked through their offerings. They have a bronze gate valve with a
cross handle.
2035TCH 1 Gate w/Cross Handle $ 18.64 5 6.10

It says FIP thread. is that the same as NPT?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 21:23:44 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

Sounds like you could use a curb stop: (unless you absolutely need a gate
valve)

http://www.aymcdonald.com/products_c...=Water&catID=3

Not too sure about a ball valve. I know when you get dirt in one, they get
impossible to turn.

Say, I looked through their offerings. They have a bronze gate valve with a
cross handle.
2035TCH 1 Gate w/Cross Handle $ 18.64 5 6.10

It says FIP thread. is that the same as NPT?

Karl

Take a look at:

http://www.robertmfg.com/glossary.html

HTH
rgentry at oz dot net
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Ask a fire system sprinkler contractor, they use the best stuff and the most
$$$$, but it holds up under abuse and high pressure.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
Had a totally awful terrible day. Irrigation system sprung a small leak two
days ago. Kinda large yesterday. huge today, had to shut down.

Got to dig in soupy mud all day. Some thin enough to run off the shovel,
other sticky enough it wouldn't come off the shovel without banging on a
rock. Sump pump quit, portable generator quit. Finally got hole dug out by
7:00 P.M.

I hope I can get the parts tomorrow, I'll be lucky.

Anyway, I'm looking for a better drain valve. it can be from 1/2 to 1 1/4
NPT gate valve for underground use. I find the hardware store valves get
stiff and then I break the handle off. I'm reaching four feet down with a
fork to turn valve. I'm wondering about an entrance service valve for
residential water in the city. Know where to get this or something similar?

Didn't you fsk up your wife's car the last
time this happened? Please be careful....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 19:52:35 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

Had a totally awful terrible day. Irrigation system sprung a small leak two
days ago. Kinda large yesterday. huge today, had to shut down.

Got to dig in soupy mud all day. Some thin enough to run off the shovel,
other sticky enough it wouldn't come off the shovel without banging on a
rock. Sump pump quit, portable generator quit. Finally got hole dug out by
7:00 P.M.

I hope I can get the parts tomorrow, I'll be lucky.

Anyway, I'm looking for a better drain valve. it can be from 1/2 to 1 1/4
NPT gate valve for underground use. I find the hardware store valves get
stiff and then I break the handle off. I'm reaching four feet down with a
fork to turn valve. I'm wondering about an entrance service valve for
residential water in the city. Know where to get this or something similar?

Nobody buys gate valves any more, you use a ball valve. And if it's
all brass and stainless, it isn't going to lock up from rust.

The trick would be the operator, McMaster has one with an oval
handle you could work at the bottom of a hole with a wrench.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Didn't you fsk up your wife's car the last
time this happened? Please be careful....

Are you related to Julie(my SO)? She never lets me forget anything either.
This is the SAME connection. I didn't put in all new and I'm paying the
price.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...

Sounds like you could use a curb stop: (unless you absolutely need a gate
valve)

http://www.aymcdonald.com/products_c...=Water&catID=3

Not too sure about a ball valve. I know when you get dirt in one, they get
impossible to turn.

Say, I looked through their offerings. They have a bronze gate valve with
a cross handle.
2035TCH 1 Gate w/Cross Handle $ 18.64 5 6.10

It says FIP thread. is that the same as NPT?

Karl

http://www.robertmfg.com/glossary.html

Apparently FIP means female iron pipe, so it would be NPT.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP*" wrote in message

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...

Sounds like you could use a curb stop: (unless you absolutely need a
gate
valve)

http://www.aymcdonald.com/products_c...=Water&catID=3

Not too sure about a ball valve. I know when you get dirt in one, they
get impossible to turn.

Say, I looked through their offerings. They have a bronze gate valve with
a cross handle.
2035TCH 1 Gate w/Cross Handle $ 18.64 5 6.10

It says FIP thread. is that the same as NPT?

Karl

http://www.robertmfg.com/glossary.html

Apparently FIP means female iron pipe, so it would be NPT.

the thread is the same, but the nominal iron pipe size is different.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 03:13:47 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

Didn't you fsk up your wife's car the last
time this happened? Please be careful....

Are you related to Julie(my SO)? She never lets me forget anything either.
This is the SAME connection. I didn't put in all new and I'm paying the
price.

Sometimes, having a long memory is a good thing. And I'm sure he
says it because he cares...

I think you'll be fine, if you can keep a 60 year old apple packing
line running you must have "the touch" - but not everyone does.

I can sympathize - Because when you see someone about to do (or
doing) something dumb yet *again*, and you know it's never gone well
the last five times they relied on their "Mad problem solving skillz"
and why in detail, and they won't stop after you ask nicely...

You have to club them over the head with a history lesson.

With my dad I have many to choose from, most notable being the
Be-Yoo-Tee-Ful 1967 Bonneville Convertible with the 460 that he burned
up in Downtown L.A. Traffic when the lower radiator hose blew.

Famous Last Words, repeated many times over the course of ten
minutes with increasing insistence: "Don't worry about it, it'll cool
down when we get out of this traffic and get moving..."

Engine toasted to a nice golden brown, Car scrapped for pennies.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
Didn't you fsk up your wife's car the last
time this happened? Please be careful....

Are you related to Julie(my SO)? She never lets me forget anything either.
This is the SAME connection. I didn't put in all new and I'm paying the
price.

No. It was such a memorably story that I've
used it as an example of how badly a project
can go.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Might help you with your decision making abilities. 26 Reasons What
You Think is Right is Wrong http://www.blisstree.com/healthbolt/...ight-is-wrong/

Scott
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Get a PVC ball valve. May have to glue in thead adapters.