Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] is offline

Default underground gate valve

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 19:52:35 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

Had a totally awful terrible day. Irrigation system sprung a small leak two
days ago. Kinda large yesterday. huge today, had to shut down.

Got to dig in soupy mud all day. Some thin enough to run off the shovel,
other sticky enough it wouldn't come off the shovel without banging on a
rock. Sump pump quit, portable generator quit. Finally got hole dug out by
7:00 P.M.

I hope I can get the parts tomorrow, I'll be lucky.

Anyway, I'm looking for a better drain valve. it can be from 1/2 to 1 1/4
NPT gate valve for underground use. I find the hardware store valves get
stiff and then I break the handle off. I'm reaching four feet down with a
fork to turn valve. I'm wondering about an entrance service valve for
residential water in the city. Know where to get this or something similar?

Nobody buys gate valves any more, you use a ball valve. And if it's
all brass and stainless, it isn't going to lock up from rust.

The trick would be the operator, McMaster has one with an oval
handle you could work at the bottom of a hole with a wrench.

-- Bruce --