Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Heater Install: Replace gate valve with ball valve

When I install my new hot water heater, I am considering replacing the
existing gate valves for water with ball valves. Any problem with
that?

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you only need on-off, then I recommend the change. Every time I've had
the chance, I've made that sort of replacement throughout my house. My
experience is that the ball valves last longer and work more reliably then
the equivalent gate valves.

- Magnusfarce

" wrote in message
oups.com...
When I install my new hot water heater, I am considering replacing the
existing gate valves for water with ball valves. Any problem with
that?

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 7:14 pm, Oren wrote:
On 27 Mar 2007 14:22:15 -0700, "
wrote:

When I install my new hot water heater, I am considering replacing the
existing gate valves for water with ball valves. Any problem with
that?

No problem, in fact it was a great choice when I replaced water
heaters in two homes. Easily reached and easy turn off.

And don't underestimate the usefulness of visual confirmation of the
state of the valve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 5:33�pm, "RicodJour" wrote:
On Mar 27, 7:14 pm, Oren wrote:

On 27 Mar 2007 14:22:15 -0700, "
wrote:

When I install my new hot water heater, I am considering replacing the
existing gate valves for water with *ball valves. *Any problem with
that?

No problem, in fact it was a great choice when I replaced water
heaters in two homes. Easily reached and easy turn off.

And don't underestimate the usefulness of visual confirmation of the
state of the valve.

if the new tanks drain valve is a regular valve espically cheap
plastic, install a ball valve on the drain too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 7:35?pm, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 23:19:14 GMT, Grandpa wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 27, 5:33?pm, "RicodJour" wrote:
On Mar 27, 7:14 pm, Oren wrote:

On 27 Mar 2007 14:22:15 -0700, "
wrote:
When I install my new hot water heater, I am considering replacing the
existing gate valves for water with ?ball valves. ?Any problem with
that?
No problem, in fact it was a great choice when I replaced water
heaters in two homes. Easily reached and easy turn off.
And don't underestimate the usefulness of visual confirmation of the
state of the valve.

if the new tanks drain valve is a regular valve espically cheap
plastic, install a ball valve on the drain too.

May I add a big INDEED to all the suggestions to go to ball valves
wherever and whenever possible.

I had just an occasion to replace a hose bib. Yep, brass, ball valve,
1/4 turn. Love it ....

--
Oren

"The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!"- Hide quoted text -

Everytime I get involved with plumbimng ball vaves are ALL that get
installed, eventually the entire home will be upgraded

Do they make gate valves for toilets? when you see its plugged and
going to run over a quick off would be wonderful..........

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mar 27, 5:33?pm, "RicodJour" wrote:
On Mar 27, 7:14 pm, Oren wrote:

On 27 Mar 2007 14:22:15 -0700, "
wrote:
[...]

going to run over a quick off would be wonderful..........- Hide quoted text -

Sorry I meant BALL VALVES FOR TOILETS!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mar 27, 5:33?pm, "RicodJour" wrote:
On Mar 27, 7:14 pm, Oren wrote:

On 27 Mar 2007 14:22:15 -0700, "
wrote:
When I install my new hot water heater, I am considering replacing the
existing gate valves for water with ?ball valves. ?Any problem with
that?
No problem, in fact it was a great choice when I replaced water
heaters in two homes. Easily reached and easy turn off.
And don't underestimate the usefulness of visual confirmation of the
state of the valve.

if the new tanks drain valve is a regular valve espically cheap
plastic, install a ball valve on the drain too.

May I add a big INDEED to all the suggestions to go to ball valves
wherever and whenever possible.

I had just an occasion to replace a hose bib. Yep, brass, ball valve,
1/4 turn. Love it ....

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mar 27, 5:33?pm, "RicodJour" wrote:
On Mar 27, 7:14 pm, Oren wrote:

On 27 Mar 2007 14:22:15 -0700, "
wrote:
When I install my new hot water heater, I am considering replacing the
existing gate valves for water with ?ball valves. ?Any problem with
that?
No problem, in fact it was a great choice when I replaced water
heaters in two homes. Easily reached and easy turn off.
And don't underestimate the usefulness of visual confirmation of the
state of the valve.

if the new tanks drain valve is a regular valve espically cheap
plastic, install a ball valve on the drain too.

May I add a big INDEED to all the suggestions to go to ball valves
wherever and whenever possible.

I had just an occasion to replace a hose bib. Yep, brass, ball valve,
1/4 turn. Love it ....

Everytime I get involved with plumbimng ball vaves are ALL that get
installed, eventually the entire home will be upgraded

Eventually. huh? Me too.

Do they make gate valves for toilets? when you see its plugged and
going to run over a quick off would be wonderful..........

None of my water supplies have any valves. It's a PEX system. Each
fixture has 1/4 turn off at the manifold. On a single story home. Any
water supply is simply turned off at the manifold.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 9:00?pm, Oren wrote:

wrote:
On Mar 27, 5:33?pm, "RicodJour" wrote:
On Mar 27, 7:14 pm, Oren wrote:

On 27 Mar 2007 14:22:15 -0700, "
wrote:
[...]

in the case of a overflowing toilet thats not a good idea, having to
run across the house. heck I want to stop the flood in a quarter turn

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do they make gate valves for toilets? when you see its plugged and
going to run over a quick off would be wonderful..........- Hide quoted text -

Sorry I meant BALL VALVES FOR TOILETS!- Hide quoted text -

Last time I checked Home Depot caried the Brasscraft ones. It's one
of the few things that they carry where what they have is actually
better quality then Loews.

Brocure is he
http://www.brasscraft.com/PDF/Brass%...20Brochure.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 27 Mar 2007 20:17:10 -0700, "
wrote:

None of my water supplies have any valves. It's a PEX system. Each
fixture has 1/4 turn off at the manifold. On a single story home. Any
water supply is simply turned off at the manifold.
Oren

in the case of a overflowing toilet thats not a good idea, having to
run across the house. heck I want to stop the flood in a quarter turn

Agree. My pex lines can use an in-line type shut off valve. The one
plumbing store that carries them is about a 30 mile round trip across
town. Takes longer to go get them than to do the install. Next time
I'm up that way I will pick some valves up.

No recent memories of an overflowing toilet (G).

--
Oren