Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Photoessay on moving a Bridgeport uploaded to the dropbox

I finally got around to writing up my experiences moving a Bridgeport
mill last October. It adds to the excellent one that Richard Kinch
did when he moved his. We had quite a discussion regarding what was
safe and what wasn't, with some disagreements among some who had done
it different ways.

http://metalworking.com/dropbox/
Moving_a_Bridgeport_2J_Head_Milling_Machine_2.pdf

Topics covered.
A photo essay describing the equipment needed to move a Bridgeport
milling machine,
One safe way of strapping the machine onto a trailer
How to lift it off the trailer
HOW TO GET A WIDE TABLE THROUGH A NARROW DOOR
Photos from the web of other people's moving experiences.

I uploaded the files Saturday AM, so I don't know when they'll
actually appear.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

I finally got around to writing up my experiences moving a Bridgeport
mill last October. It adds to the excellent one that Richard Kinch
did when he moved his. We had quite a discussion regarding what was
safe and what wasn't, with some disagreements among some who had done
it different ways.

http://metalworking.com/dropbox/
Moving_a_Bridgeport_2J_Head_Milling_Machine_2.p df

Topics covered.
A photo essay describing the equipment needed to move a Bridgeport
milling machine,
One safe way of strapping the machine onto a trailer
How to lift it off the trailer
HOW TO GET A WIDE TABLE THROUGH A NARROW DOOR
Photos from the web of other people's moving experiences.

I uploaded the files Saturday AM, so I don't know when they'll
actually appear.

RWL

Nice work moving the machine.

One thing that you might have done is to put a piece of plywood in the
trailer under the machine. Metal on metal slides easy, wood on metal is
much less slippery. This also goes for carrying a machine on a
forklift. I saw someone drop a keyseater last week because he had the
thing directly on the forks and then hit a bump.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 10:33:32 -0400, the infamous GeoLane at PTD dot
NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET scrawled the following:

I finally got around to writing up my experiences moving a Bridgeport
mill last October. It adds to the excellent one that Richard Kinch
did when he moved his. We had quite a discussion regarding what was
safe and what wasn't, with some disagreements among some who had done
it different ways.

http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Moving_a_Bridgeport_2J_Head_Milling_Machine_2.pdf

The URL was broken so I fixed it.

Topics covered.
A photo essay describing the equipment needed to move a Bridgeport
milling machine,
One safe way of strapping the machine onto a trailer
How to lift it off the trailer
HOW TO GET A WIDE TABLE THROUGH A NARROW DOOR
Photos from the web of other people's moving experiences.

Well done, sir.

I uploaded the files Saturday AM, so I don't know when they'll
actually appear.

It's up now, 2:31PDT.

--
Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything
evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GeoLane at PTD dot NET writes:

I finally got around to writing up my experiences moving a Bridgeport
mill last October.

Well done, and documented.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Very nice writeup. Now you know that everything is portable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jeff wrote:

Very nice. The driveway where this was loaded looks like gravel, if
it was I really don't understand why that Hyster didn't bury itself.

Might have been covered with something like Afton stone. We laid Afton stone on our dirt
areas where I worked and after a bit of rain and driving over, it made a surface hard
enough for lift trucks to operate on.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

I finally got around to writing up my experiences moving a Bridgeport
mill last October. It adds to the excellent one that Richard Kinch
did when he moved his. We had quite a discussion regarding what was
safe and what wasn't, with some disagreements among some who had done
it different ways.

I like how you use a piece of plywood to get the bp over your threshold without damaging
it. I'll keep that in memory since my bp is on the other side of a 36" door that wasn't
there when I moved the bp in.

Wes