Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal Sculpture & Domestic Tranquility

My wife & I just had our 6th anniversary. The nominal material for such
an event is iron. I got her a garden scupture that I thought folks here
would get a kick out of:

https://www.sugarpost.com/index.php?...ct_detail&p=28

It's not every day you can give your wife something that is signed with a
plasma torch. Every time she sees it she gets a great big grin. We've
named the aliens Gidney & Floyd after the moon men on Rocky & Bullwinkle,
and the gnome is Masklin, after a Terry Pratchet character.

It's unprotected, and I'm thinking about giving it a good coat of car wax
before I put it out. I know there have been discussions about coatings
for brass, and I'll have to go back & search for other options. The
scuptor suggested Krylon, but I suspect that will peel after enough UV
exposure. Also, the lower jaws will pool water, so I'm going to add a
couple small drain holes.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 15:09:05 GMT, the infamous
(Doug White) scrawled the following:

[...]

No, don't use spray plastics. They're a bear to repair when they break
down in a year or less.

Someone once suggested that ungodly expensive (~$240/lb IIRC) metal
polish and finish once. (Ed, was that you?) I've forgotten the name.

Anyway, you use it sparingly and it only needs to be touched up every
two or three years after that.

Alternatively, some of the polymer car "waxes" might work really well.

--
You can't do anything about the length of your life,
but you _can_ do something about its width and depth.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug White wrote:
[...]

Consider:
1) Penetrol
2) Future Acrylic Floor Treatment (was/is sold under Pledge, too)

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 15:09:05 GMT, (Doug White)
wrote:

[...]

Nyalic
http://www.nyalic.com/about.html

I think Everbrite is Nyalic. I can't find a reference now but I think
I did discover that at one time when trying to get some Nyalic.

Everbrite
http://www.everbritecoatings.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 21:28:05 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

wrote:

[...]

That's the ungodly expensive (but good) stuff I was talking about.
It doesn't look quite as expensive the second time around.

--
You can't do anything about the length of your life,
but you _can_ do something about its width and depth.
-- Evan Esar

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug White wrote:
[...]

Penetrol sounds good, but it seems to be listed as a paint additive, not
as a protective finish in its own right. Have they changed it, or is
this the same stuff?

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug White wrote:

Consider:
1) Penetrol

Penetrol sounds good, but it seems to be listed as a paint additive,
not
as a protective finish in its own right. Have they changed it, or is
this the same stuff?

I could not say. I bought mine about a year and a half ago. I got the hint
from a metal sculpture discussion group where they seemed to like it. I have
been using it but do not have a track record over years to show how good it
is long-term.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug White wrote:

Consider:
1) Penetrol

Penetrol sounds good, but it seems to be listed as a paint additive,
not
as a protective finish in its own right. Have they changed it, or is
this the same stuff?

I could not say. I bought mine about a year and a half ago. I got the hint
from a metal sculpture discussion group where they seemed to like it. I have
been using it but do not have a track record over years to show how good it
is long-term.

Does that can say anything more specific than "Penetrol"? The only
stuff Flood sells now is listed as "Oil-Based Paint Additive". I found a
place in Australia that lists a version specifically for protective
metal, but it apparently leaves a brown finish, and the US web site makes
no mention of it.

Thanks!

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 18:22:36 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I've used Flowtrol and Penetrol to make wb/oil paints flow better, but
I didn't know they could be used as a metal finish. I'll have to try
that on my mower deck after a good pressure washing. Speaking of
mowers, mine tried hara kiri last weekend. First, I heard the blade
hit what I thought was a small branch from the tree overhead. It then
immediately stopped the mower, turning out to be the steel brace
between the front wheels, forming the curve at the front of the deck
for the blade and holding the deck more steady at the wheels. Then I
hit a large rock which sent the blade up into the deck itself, gouging
a 2" long gash where it stuck. A punch and hammer freed it. Luckily
the old B&S engine crankshaft had been bent many times before, so it
didn't make any difference in the horrible vibration level. That $188
Wally World mower (a jan-u-wine Murray!) sure has paid for itself. If
I weren't in the process of doing away with the lawns here, I might
break down and buy a new one.

You paid more than $25 for a mower? I never paid over $20 at one time
in my life. Most of the time it is either free, or a couple bucks for
a coffee. I currently have three working mowers (at least they worked
when I ran them dry last November) and have $5 tied up in purchases
plus maybe $35 in parts. I give mowers away when the need arises.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 22:51:34 -0400, the infamous Gerald Miller
scrawled the following:

wrote:

[...]

I generally buy a new one and never have real problems with them for a
decade or so. That averages out well: less than $20 per year.

Why buy/take on someone else's problems? I like to pull the cord once
and have the beastie start for me. You?

--
You can't do anything about the length of your life,
but you _can_ do something about its width and depth.
-- Evan Esar

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I generally have to pull twice. Particularly the one I bought for $5
in 1990 - brought it home, dumped the water out of the gas tank, put
in fresh gas and it started on the third pull. Think of all the fun I
have tinkering with these little toys.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 20:03:42 -0400, the infamous Gerald Miller
scrawled the following:

wrote:

[...]

Yabbut, I'm still working for a living. Currently, I'm building a
carport and reroofing my pump house roof, too. I don't have time to do
Usenet, view por^H^H^HNetflix movies, email, read lotsa books, AND
tinker much, but I'm happy for you.