Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Metal Sculpture & Domestic Tranquility

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 15:09:05 GMT, the infamous
(Doug White) scrawled the following:

My wife & I just had our 6th anniversary. The nominal material for such
an event is iron. I got her a garden scupture that I thought folks here
would get a kick out of:

https://www.sugarpost.com/index.php?...ct_detail&p=28

It's not every day you can give your wife something that is signed with a
plasma torch. Every time she sees it she gets a great big grin. We've
named the aliens Gidney & Floyd after the moon men on Rocky & Bullwinkle,
and the gnome is Masklin, after a Terry Pratchet character.

It's unprotected, and I'm thinking about giving it a good coat of car wax
before I put it out. I know there have been discussions about coatings
for brass, and I'll have to go back & search for other options. The
scuptor suggested Krylon, but I suspect that will peel after enough UV
exposure. Also, the lower jaws will pool water, so I'm going to add a
couple small drain holes.

No, don't use spray plastics. They're a bear to repair when they break
down in a year or less.

Someone once suggested that ungodly expensive (~$240/lb IIRC) metal
polish and finish once. (Ed, was that you?) I've forgotten the name.

Anyway, you use it sparingly and it only needs to be touched up every
two or three years after that.

Alternatively, some of the polymer car "waxes" might work really well.

--
You can't do anything about the length of your life,
but you _can_ do something about its width and depth.