angel toledo

Default Need help with outdoor sculpture

Hi,

Christmas time is coming up and I'm alread thinking about creating some
sculptures to fill my front lawn. My plan is to create a wooden frame
onto which I can model my masterpiece. There's only one problem: I've
never done anything even remotely similar to this. My first thought is
modeling clay, but I don't know how it will hold out in the rain.
Plaster? Again, I don't know what the rain will do to it. Cement? Too
heavy. If anyone has any idea that can help me out I would certainly
appreciate it. Any direction to a website or other group would also be
helpful.

Thank You
Dave Balderstone

In article , angel toledo
wrote:

Christmas time is coming up and I'm alread thinking about creating some
sculptures to fill my front lawn. My plan is to create a wooden frame
onto which I can model my masterpiece. There's only one problem: I've
never done anything even remotely similar to this. My first thought is
modeling clay, but I don't know how it will hold out in the rain.
Plaster? Again, I don't know what the rain will do to it. Cement? Too
heavy. If anyone has any idea that can help me out I would certainly
appreciate it. Any direction to a website or other group would also be
helpful.

"hypertufa" over a wire mesh on a frame, perhaps?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertufa

DJ

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 16:58:08 GMT, angel toledo
wrote:

Hi,

Christmas time is coming up and I'm alread thinking about creating some
sculptures to fill my front lawn. My plan is to create a wooden frame
onto which I can model my masterpiece. There's only one problem: I've
never done anything even remotely similar to this. My first thought is
modeling clay, but I don't know how it will hold out in the rain.
Plaster? Again, I don't know what the rain will do to it. Cement? Too
heavy. If anyone has any idea that can help me out I would certainly
appreciate it. Any direction to a website or other group would also be
helpful.

Urethane foam such as this stuff. You should be able to find something
similar locally:

http://www.generalplastics.com/produ...c3e89505172f3e

Thank You

DJ
Pop

"angel toledo" wrote in message
: Hi,
:
[...]

How about styrofoam? It's cheap at the lumber yard, very light
as a covering, reasonably easy to sculpt/saw but with some
caveats as it can make a mess. Never tried anything that large
though.

angel toledo

Thank you for all your suggestions. I think I'll pass on the styrofoam,
but the other two are definitely worth a try.

Thanks again.

HeyBub

angel toledo wrote:
Hi,

Christmas time is coming up and I'm alread thinking about creating
some sculptures to fill my front lawn. My plan is to create a wooden
frame onto which I can model my masterpiece. There's only one
problem: I've never done anything even remotely similar to this. My
first thought is modeling clay, but I don't know how it will hold out
in the rain. Plaster? Again, I don't know what the rain will do to
it. Cement? Too heavy. If anyone has any idea that can help me out I
would certainly appreciate it. Any direction to a website or other
group would also be helpful.

Thank You

How to sculpt a rabbit.
1. Obtain block of marble of sufficient size.
2. Chip away everything that does not look like a rabbit.

Or,

Visit a large nursery and get one of those wire frames that, when covered
with vines, looks like a hedge attacked by Scissorhand.

wkearney99

One wonders how well your neighbors will take to the idea...

Christmas time is coming up and I'm alread thinking about creating some
sculptures to fill my front lawn.

Ranieri

"angel toledo" wrote in message
Hi,

Christmas time is coming up and I'm alread thinking about creating some
sculptures to fill my front lawn. My plan is to create a wooden frame
onto which I can model my masterpiece. There's only one problem: I've
never done anything even remotely similar to this. My first thought is
modeling clay, but I don't know how it will hold out in the rain.
Plaster? Again, I don't know what the rain will do to it. Cement? Too
heavy. If anyone has any idea that can help me out I would certainly
appreciate it. Any direction to a website or other group would also be
helpful.

The buildings of the Chicago World's Fair circa 1893 were constructed from a
material called 'staff'.A mixture of plaster of paris, portland cement and
jute - which is like twine fiber.Build a strong armature, build up the
material and carve away. Should hold up until March or so in a snowy/rainy
clime.

angel toledo

wkearney99 wrote:
One wonders how well your neighbors will take to the idea...

Actually, my next door neighbor hates us. It all started when we had
some construction done on the front of the house, porch, and roof. The
workers made a lot of noise/dust and that just infuriated her. Every day
she would scream at the workers telling them to stop; once she even shot
water at them from a hose. We finally had to call the police on her in
order for the job to be comnpleted. During all this I built a small
waterfall in the front garden. The neighbor told us it was a piece of
sh*t, however, not a day goes by where someone doesn't pass by and tell
us how beautiful it looks. Go figure.

So when I make my Christmas sculptures and display them out in front, if
the neighbors don't like it, I couldn't care less.
Amun

wkearney99 wrote:
One wonders how well your neighbors will take to the idea...

Actually, my next door neighbor hates us. It all started when we had
some construction done on the front of the house, porch, and roof. The
workers made a lot of noise/dust and that just infuriated her. Every day
she would scream at the workers telling them to stop; once she even shot
water at them from a hose. We finally had to call the police on her in
order for the job to be comnpleted. During all this I built a small
waterfall in the front garden. The neighbor told us it was a piece of
sh*t, however, not a day goes by where someone doesn't pass by and tell
us how beautiful it looks. Go figure.

So when I make my Christmas sculptures and display them out in front, if
the neighbors don't like it, I couldn't care less.

Not exactly instructions on how to do it.

But some nifty ideas that your neighbors would love here.

http://www.math.umn.edu/~vishal/funs...n/snowman.html

AMUN