Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Metal Sculpture & Domestic Tranquility

On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 07:55:46 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 22:51:34 -0400, the infamous Gerald Miller
scrawled the following:

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 18:22:36 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I've used Flowtrol and Penetrol to make wb/oil paints flow better, but
I didn't know they could be used as a metal finish. I'll have to try
that on my mower deck after a good pressure washing. Speaking of
mowers, mine tried hara kiri last weekend. First, I heard the blade
hit what I thought was a small branch from the tree overhead. It then
immediately stopped the mower, turning out to be the steel brace
between the front wheels, forming the curve at the front of the deck
for the blade and holding the deck more steady at the wheels. Then I
hit a large rock which sent the blade up into the deck itself, gouging
a 2" long gash where it stuck. A punch and hammer freed it. Luckily
the old B&S engine crankshaft had been bent many times before, so it
didn't make any difference in the horrible vibration level. That $188
Wally World mower (a jan-u-wine Murray!) sure has paid for itself. If
I weren't in the process of doing away with the lawns here, I might
break down and buy a new one.

You paid more than $25 for a mower? I never paid over $20 at one time
in my life. Most of the time it is either free, or a couple bucks for
a coffee. I currently have three working mowers (at least they worked
when I ran them dry last November) and have $5 tied up in purchases
plus maybe $35 in parts. I give mowers away when the need arises.

I generally buy a new one and never have real problems with them for a
decade or so. That averages out well: less than $20 per year.

Why buy/take on someone else's problems? I like to pull the cord once
and have the beastie start for me. You?

I generally have to pull twice. Particularly the one I bought for $5
in 1990 - brought it home, dumped the water out of the gas tank, put
in fresh gas and it started on the third pull. Think of all the fun I
have tinkering with these little toys.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada