Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default anyone need lead/linotype metal/etc

I have a friend who now doesn't want to keep a goodly pile of lead and old
linotype metal that he's accumulated - near Los Angeles - if we have to
ship, $1 per pound in flat rate boxes (60 pounds per box) works - as usual,
contact me per my web site if you need some

--
Bill
www.wbnoble.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 20:37:03 -0700, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

I have a friend who now doesn't want to keep a goodly pile of lead and old
linotype metal that he's accumulated - near Los Angeles - if we have to
ship, $1 per pound in flat rate boxes (60 pounds per box) works - as usual,
contact me per my web site if you need some

we used just such a concoction to make the replacement bearings for a
windmill. 15 years on it is still giving good service.

Stealth Pilot

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Local pickup is even better - I've contacted you directly

wrote in message
How bout local pickup?

I have a friend who now doesn't want to keep a goodly pile of lead and old
linotype metal that he's accumulated - near Los Angeles - if we have to
ship, $1 per pound in flat rate boxes (60 pounds per box) works - as
usual,
contact me per my web site if you need some

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a friend who now doesn't want to keep a goodly pile of lead and old
linotype metal that he's accumulated - near Los Angeles - if we have to
ship, $1 per pound in flat rate boxes (60 pounds per box) works - as usual,
contact me per my web site if you need some

Lynotype?

How much do you have?

Gunner

"Human nature is bad. Good is a human product*
A warped piece of wood must be steamed and forced
before it is made straight; a metal blade must be put to the whetstone
before it becomes sharp. Since the nature of people is bad, to become corrected
they must be taught by teachers and to be orderly they must acquire ritual
and moral principles."
—Sun Tzu
*

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

snip
Linotype lead has (I believe) antimony added to it. That metal expands
while it cools so it completely fills the typeset dies when cast. Also tin
I think as a hardener. Been a long time since I watched those gentlemen
working.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pintlar" wrote:

snip
Linotype lead has (I believe) antimony added to it. That metal expands
while it cools so it completely fills the typeset dies when cast. Also tin
I think as a hardener. Been a long time since I watched those gentlemen
working.

When I was in junior high, I had to set up a printing press using discrete type in
industrial arts. I bet that press is long gone. Heck they even had a linotype machine.
Most of the guys took typing just to be ready for that course. I took typing because I
thought there was a future in computers.

I feel sorry for the guys that learned the linotype machine. How quickly technology
changes.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hope you get some Gunner - I'm getting my Dads. We already talked.

I just have to get my income tax money returned from RITA that was stolen
by the IRS (different division...).

Martin

wrote:

I have a friend who now doesn't want to keep a goodly pile of lead and old
linotype metal that he's accumulated - near Los Angeles - if we have to
ship, $1 per pound in flat rate boxes (60 pounds per box) works - as usual,
contact me per my web site if you need some

Lynotype?

How much do you have?

Gunner

"Human nature is bad. Good is a human product
A warped piece of wood must be steamed and forced
before it is made straight; a metal blade must be put to the whetstone
before it becomes sharp. Since the nature of people is bad, to become corrected
they must be taught by teachers and to be orderly they must acquire ritual
and moral principles."
—Sun Tzu

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a friend who now doesn't want to keep a goodly pile of lead and
old linotype metal that he's accumulated - near Los Angeles - if we have
to ship, $1 per pound in flat rate boxes (60 pounds per box) works - as
usual, contact me per my web site if you need some

Lynotype? How much do you have?

Gunner

probably a ton or two

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a friend who now doesn't want to keep a goodly pile of lead and
old linotype metal that he's accumulated - near Los Angeles - if we have
to ship, $1 per pound in flat rate boxes (60 pounds per box) works - as
usual, contact me per my web site if you need some
Lynotype? How much do you have?

Gunner

probably a ton or two

I'll eventually need 1200 pounds for a keel, but shipping would cost an arm and
leg. I'll just melt down an old keel if possible...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a friend who now doesn't want to keep a goodly pile of lead and old
linotype metal that he's accumulated - near Los Angeles - if we have to
ship, $1 per pound in flat rate boxes (60 pounds per box) works - as usual,
contact me per my web site if you need some

Well gee, if my Brother In Law still owned that Rubber Stamp Shop,
he might have taken you up on that. Probably the last running
collection of revenue operation Linotypes, Varitypes and Ludlows in
the San Fernando Valley.

IIRC, it's the antimony that boils out after many uses.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a friend who now doesn't want to keep a goodly pile of lead and
old linotype metal that he's accumulated - near Los Angeles - if we have
to ship, $1 per pound in flat rate boxes (60 pounds per box) works - as
usual, contact me per my web site if you need some

Lynotype? How much do you have?

Gunner

probably a ton or two

Cool! Im up for some. How much for 800 lbs, if I come pick it up and
do all the work?