Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default anyone need lead/linotype metal/etc

"pintlar" wrote:

snip
Linotype lead has (I believe) antimony added to it. That metal expands
while it cools so it completely fills the typeset dies when cast. Also tin
I think as a hardener. Been a long time since I watched those gentlemen
working.

When I was in junior high, I had to set up a printing press using discrete type in
industrial arts. I bet that press is long gone. Heck they even had a linotype machine.
Most of the guys took typing just to be ready for that course. I took typing because I
thought there was a future in computers.

I feel sorry for the guys that learned the linotype machine. How quickly technology
changes.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller